Broken Harbor: A Novel by Tana French

Broken Harbor: A Novel (original 2012; edition 2012)

by Tana French

2,6871974,095 (3.94)366
All but one member of the Spain family lies dead, and it's up to Mick "Scorcher" Kennedy to find out why. Mick must piece together why their house is full of cameras pointed at holes in the walls and how a nighttime intruder bypassed all the locks. Meanwhile, the town of Broken Harbor holds something else for Mick--disturbing memories of a childhood summer gone terribly wrong.… (more)
Member:Juarez_Santiago
Title:Broken Harbor: A Novel
Authors:Tana French
Info:Viking Adult (2012), Hardcover, 464 pages

Broken Harbour by Tana French (2012)

Mystic River by Dennis Lehane (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: Painful childhood memories haunt the detectives of these dark psychological thrillers. Both authors write their respective cities (Boston and Dublin) with realism that augments the flawed, believable characters' struggles. Their secrets and suspicions offer compelling insight into trust in relationships.… (more)

English (191)  Dutch (2)  Danish (1)  German (1)  French (1)  Spanish (1)  All languages (197)
Another good mystery by Tana French. This one kept me guessing until the end. ( )
  DidIReallyReadThat | Oct 14, 2021 |
Fascinating and well written thriller. A notch below In the Woods and Faithful Place, just not quite as devastating as those novels but still very excellent. French is probably the mystery/crime/thriller genre's best writer at present. ( )
  usuallee | Oct 7, 2021 |
This was a depressingly sad read. It took a month for me to get through it and I would put it down for a few days and then go back to it because I was curious about what happened to this family.

The detectives are sent to a new development in Broken Harbor for the murders of a family, two young children and their parents. When they arrive they discover a blood bath but the mother is alive, barely and is sent to the hospital. The house is a mess with holes punched in the walls and traps set. The detectives start examining the life of the family, the neighbors and community and we learn of the lead detective’s sister who is in and out of his life because of mental issues.

I finished it because I was curious of what happened to the family but it doesn’t make me want to read anything else by this author. ( )
  Kathy89 | Aug 16, 2021 |
It says something that this is Tana French's weakest novel, and yet it is outstanding. Pales compared to her first two, and even the third, but I'm continually amazed by her ability to capture a character's voice so completely, even in ways that make the character seem a bit two-dimensional. Normally, that would be a knock against her, but it becomes clear about midway through that the two-dimensions comprise Kennedy's mask, and the reasons he wears the mask, together with the particulars of this case, are why I keep returning to French.

This novel spends quite a bit more time on the procedural aspects of the crime, and in fact you're 20% done with the novel before Kennedy has finished with his initial visit to the scene of crime. This, too, is part of her characterization, and while it doesn't work as well, she makes a character who previously was only a cameo into a pretty interesting case of his own.

Much more to say about this one, but with all French's novels, it takes some time to digest. Will start her next tonight. Probably not smart, but I can't help myself. ( )
  allan.nail | Jul 11, 2021 |
I think Tana French is quite good, but I was disappointed with book 4. This one spent far too much time describing crime scenes, autopsies, and the neuroses of one of the victims. I liked the depiction of the main character Mike "Scorcher" Kennedy, his dysfunctional sister and neophyte partner, and her cloaking the bad guy. Could have been way shorter, especially the internet chatter. ( )
  skipstern | Jul 11, 2021 |

Tana Frenchprimary authorall editionscalculated
Kolstad, HenningTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Timmermann, KlausÜbersetzersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Van Velzen, MarjoleinTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wasel, UlrikeÜbersetzersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Darley, magician and gentleman
Let's get one thing straight: I was the perfect man for this case.

Murder Detective Mick Kennedy is all about control.
Driving the right car. Wearing the right suit. Everything carefully designed to show the world - and most importantly, the killer - that he is in charge of this case.
But Broken Harbour will not be tamed.
This wild, beautiful place holds Mick Kennedy's happiest memories. It also holds his worst.
And now a new horror has happened here, and the cracks are beginning to show.
From the multi-award-winning author of Sunday TImes and New York Times bestseller In the Woods, Broken Harbour is a searing novel of psychological suspense.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 163,193,137 books! | Top bar: Always visible