Have you checked out SantaThing, LibraryThing's gift-giving tradition?
dismiss

Family Ministry Field Guide: How Your Church Can Equip Parents to Make…

by Timothy Paul Jones

"Scripture calls parents to train their children in the faith and to nurture their children's souls. Yet few parents actively engage in their children's spiritual development. How can churches best equip families to engage in their divine calling to disciple their children? Family ministry expert Dr. Timothy Paul Jones guides church leaders to develop a ministry system that equips parents to be the primary faith-trainers in their children's lives, moving beyond mere programming into a deeper spiritual life at home, within the church, and beyond. This resource is for leaders in the trenches--those who: see parents disengaging from their children's spiritual development; see too many students leave for college and drop out of church; have heard of 'family ministry,' and just want to know more; or are frustrated with programmed ministries that fail to produce results. Based on solid research, this field guide unpacks how real-life churches can narrow the gap between present reality and the biblical ideal of faith-nurturing families" -- Publisher description.… (more)

Youth ministry in the church today needs to change.

Family Ministry Field Guide offers as good of an alternative as I have seen! Timothy Paul Jones takes a Gospel-centered, family-focused approach to discipling children and youth. He does an admirable job of arguing from the biblical narrative, rather than from the standpoint of "retention rates" that are oft-cited and, in his estimation, over-blown and poorly researched.

The one qualm one might have with Family Ministry Field Guide is that it is not ultimately a field guide. When I think of a field guide, I think of a practical how-to book, with steps and procedures to help one implement the topic at hand. Jones stops short of this. Admittedly, he does so from a sense of allowing the reader to contextualize his principles and come up with their own plan. He also gives testimonials about how some others have implemented a Family-Equipping Model of ministry. Still, I was looking for more specific suggestions on how to transition our student ministry from a family-friendly model to a family-equipping model.

Still, I rate this book with the highest rating. Perhaps the greatest compliment I can give it is that it has helped shape how I invest in my family. I see myself as the primary discipler of my children and I am thankful to have my local church partner in that process with me! ( )
  RobSumrall | May 14, 2016 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 164,322,153 books! | Top bar: Always visible