Have you checked out SantaThing, LibraryThing's gift-giving tradition?
dismiss

The Magic of Reality: How We Know What's…

The Magic of Reality: How We Know What's Really True (original 2011; edition 2011)

by Richard Dawkins (Author), Dave McKean (Illustrator)

The author of "The God delusion" addresses key scientific questions previously explained by rich mythologies, from the evolution of the first humans and the life cycle of stars to the principles of a rainbow and the origins of the universe.
Member:Joy_Bush
Title:The Magic of Reality: How We Know What's Really True
Authors:Richard Dawkins (Author)
Other authors:Dave McKean (Illustrator)
Info:Free Press (2011), Edition: First Edition, 272 pages
Tags:to-read

Work Information

The Magic of Reality: How We Know What's Really True by Richard Dawkins (2011)

A Little History of Science by William Bynum (themulhern)
    themulhern: Both books are science books directed at a younger audience. While "A Little History of Science" is mostly descriptive, "The Magic of Reality" is persuasive, and hence more intellectually demanding. It is true that "The Magic of Reality" is not going to convert the anti-scientific, but it's going to help the scientific understand why they have reason to believe the things they do, which as John Stuart Mill pointed out in "On Liberty" is a very valuable sort of knowledge. So, I'ld say that "The Magic of Reality" is the stronger book, but "A Little History of Science" has more facts and history, and is therefore useful in that way.… (more)
    Astrophysics for Young People in a Hurry by Neil deGrasse Tyson (themulhern)
    themulhern: Two famous authors of popular science try writing for children. Dawkins is much better, however, he never seems to be dumbing it down and he doesn't make the dumb jokes.
    Newton at the Center by Joy Hakim (themulhern)
    themulhern: Both books are about the process of science as well as the facts of science. Both are written for young adults but readily appreciated by fully mature adults.

I love Dawkins, but this is remedial primer stuff. Not worth your time. ( )
  dualmon | Nov 17, 2021 |
A high school level introduction to science and critical thinking. ( )
  fionaanne | Nov 11, 2021 |
I think "The Magic of Reality", by Richard Dawkins, may have been written as a "Young Adult" or "Y.A." book for inquisitive minds, but it works just as well for adult readers. Dawkins discusses a number of common themes regarding our solar system, our world, ancient myths, evolution, and life on earth. I guess that would place the book in the category of a science book, but Dawkins knows how to provide just enough detail to make things clear without getting technical. Too few students seem to take a fully array of science classes, and "The Magic of Reality" might just whet some appetites for further exploration of the subject. For the adult reader who is familiar with the scientific concepts he discusses, it also makes for a nice review and refresher of these concepts.

rsutto22 | Jul 15, 2021 |
My favorite part of this book would have to be the artwork, which is as varied as it is creative and beautiful. The illustrator Dave McKean is probably better known as the director of MirrorMask and the main illustrator for Neil Gaiman. Honestly at times the prose felt dry in comparison to the visuals accompanying it. I felt like Richard Dawkins was a bit stiff in parts, like he was trying to fit his writing to his perceived young audience and wasn't sure how to address them. Other times he was passionate and natural so I think that the missteps aren't dealbreakers. His section on evolution was particularly enjoyable and lively. I definitely would recommend this to a science-oriented child. ( )
  jobinsonlis | May 11, 2021 |
While I really liked the idea driving this book, that science provides a sort of magic with their explanations of natural phenomonia, I didn't feel that he followed throught well enough. Be warned, he is a scientist and an athiest. Not that those two are mutually exclusive, I felt that his need to bash religion overshadowed the idea that the reasons behind scientific happening can been seen as miraculous and wonderous in their own right. That being said, I thought his explanations of said happening to be really helpful. ( )
  Colleen5096 | Oct 29, 2020 |
as Richard Dawkins confirms again and again in this book – his first for "a family audience" – science composes stories as thrilling as Homer, as profound as Job, and as entertaining as anything by Kipling.
added by mikeg2 | editThe Guardian, Tim Radford (Sep 21, 2011)

Richard Dawkinsprimary authorall editionscalculated
McKean, DaveIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Clinton John Dawkins
1915-2010
O, my beloved father
Reality is everything that exists.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 164,316,517 books! | Top bar: Always visible