Assassin's Code

by Jonathan Maberry

Series: Joe Ledger (4)

2193093,549 (4.13)13
"When Joe Ledger and Echo Team rescue a group of American college kids held hostage in Iran,the Iranian government then asks them to help find six nuclear bombs planted in the Mideast oil fields. These stolen WMDs will lead Joe and Echo Team into hidden vaults of forbidden knowledge, mass-murder, betrayal, and a brotherhood of genetically-engineered killers with a thirst for blood. Accompanied by the beautiful assassin called Violin, Joe follows a series of clues to find the Book of Shadows, which contains a horrifying truth that threatens to shatter his entire worldview. They say the truth will set you free... Not this time. The secrets of the Assassin's Code will set the world ablaze"--… (more)

I'm glad Maberry went back to the supernatural. This story was almost as crazy as the first book. I think Joe gives the best synopsis:

In my trade, confidence is built on a platform whose legs are made up of good intelligence, continuous training, proper equipment, and field support. I had a sick dog, a dead man’s gun, a stolen briefcase, a vampire hunter’s stake in my belt, and a cell phone; and I was walking down a street in Tehran less than a day after breaking three political prisoners out of jail. I was involved in several murders and had left sufficient physical evidence behind to convict me on enough charges to lock me up until I was a thousand years old. Or enough to have me put against a wall.

Oh, yeah, and there were seven hidden nuclear bombs and somehow vampires were tied up in that.

My life used to be a lot less complicated.

Assissin's Code is the fourth book in the Joe Ledger series by Jonathan Maberry. This has to be one of the roughest 48 hours in Joe's life. Poor Ghost too! It seems like both of them kept getting the crap beat out of them as they attempt to make sense of an insane situation. The action is heart poundingly relentless making for the first time I seriously thought Joe wouldn't survive even though I know there are 6 more books in the series.

Violin and ArcLight are a great additions to the cast. Anger these ladies at your own risk! I can't wait to see how their organization works with the DMS in future books and how Joe's relationship with Violin progresses. They would make a nearly unstoppable pair. The implication of Nicodemus leaves a lot of room for to explore the mythology being created in this world. It was very satisfying for a couple of the villains we love to hate to get their comeuppance. Mr. Church continues to be his enigmatic best and it was heartwarming that Rudy has found some happiness in his life.

Ray Porter's narration of the audio book is brilliant as always. It won't be long before book 5 cycles in to my listening rotation. ( )
1 vote Narilka | Feb 13, 2021 |
This one was better then the second and third. ( )
  AnnaHernandez | Oct 17, 2019 |
Vampires with nuclear bombs, lotsa blood & guts especially around the throat area. Very fictional but readable ( )
  BryceV | Jun 21, 2019 |
This was the first book where I honestly was concerned about Joe. Silly me. Though it is not my favorite in the series, some of the storylines it brings into the mix are heartbreaking and stunning at the same time. Great read. ( )
  TeachesNTennies | Oct 30, 2015 |
Joe Ledger and the DMS Echo team never catch a break. They no sooner shut down the Seven Kings' plans for a global plague, when they discover that seven nuclear devices have been scattered around the globe by... vampires? Nothing is ever easy, and no one is ever safe. ( )
  JoshuaAtkins | Aug 10, 2015 |

Belongs to Series

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Jonathan Maberry's book Assassin's Code was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

Jonathan Maberry is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Author Chat

Jonathan Maberry chatted with LibraryThing members from Mar 22, 2010 to Apr 4, 2010. Read the chat.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 157,713,098 books! | Top bar: Always visible