Uncertain Paradise: 1973 Part Two: The…

Uncertain Paradise: 1973 Part Two: The Latter Days

by John W. Cassell

204740,027 (4.8)2

I would love to read this book but I would really like to read the first one first is there anyway you can send me the first book in the series so I can start from the beginning. Please joycedlee (Aug 8,2011)
I will say one thing John Cassell is a wonderfull person and a very talented writer what I have written of his was superbly and creativly written I cant wait till I get to this book.(10/07/2011).....
I haven't forgotten about you your books are WONDERFUL.....people you have to get his books it is so educational, One mans journey through time and History buffs this one's for you. (3/21/2012)- 1969 CROSSROADS,1970 ODYSSEY, 1971 HELL'S QUEST, 1972 CROSSROADS COUNTRY BLUES, 1973 UNCERTAIN PARADISE ( )
1 vote | joycedlee | Aug 24, 2011 |
Part 2 was awesome, I loved it! ( )
1 vote | lg4154 | May 8, 2011 |
Uncertain Paradise: 1973: The Latter Days - John W Cassell *****

Before I begin my review I would just like to say a massive thanks to John for being such a great guy. I would urge all members of librarything to acquaint themselves with his work. Whatever my words try to express below, it definitely won't do enough justice to the novel.

This book is the sequel to Uncertain Paradise. I would recommend reading the prequel first or you will be lost in the plot as a lot has gone on previously.

This book details the second half of Cassells year on Maggie Rock, the newly independent island in the pacific ocean. However things are not going smoothly. Cassell has to deal with betrayal, anxiety, and a life forced into turmoil. Already heavily involved in the islands militia he must decide where his loyalties lie, often choosing between his own personal needs and those of his country. This results in both physical and mental pain.

You will follow Cassell on a personal journey whilst feeling every emotion as the character shares his innermost fears regarding the dangerous world he has found himself plunged into.

Whatever your personal preference for the contents of a novel, I can pretty much guarantee you'll find it here. There is action in the form of jungle combat & invading communist forces, tender moments coupled with lost love, and political wrangling aplenty. It reads almost as a personal diary but from a life you could only dream about.

The author obviously knows his stuff and the way that small island (and on times international) politics is portrayed in the book allows the reader to see it laid bare, which is a real eye opener.

I cannot believe that JWC has had such little recognition in the literary world but in a way I am glad that the novels are almost a little secret shared only by a select band of followers.

Do yourself a favour this year and pick up these books.... you can send me the thank you messages for introducing you to Cassell after you've read them :) ( )
1 vote Bridgey | Mar 30, 2011 |
This review was written by the author.
Cassell Belongs at the Top, February 16, 2009

Cassell Belongs at the Top

By Jack Engelhard--Author of runaway international best seller INDECENT PROPOSAL, made into box office hit movie starring Robert Redford and Demi Moore

Here's another winner from John W. Cassell - his novel "Uncertain Paradise, Part 2," but don't tell the Big Boys and Girls who run our culture because it might ruin their party. They've got their favorites, their babies, their teacher's pets, and Cassell is not one of them. He's just too good. If they ever unchained him, they'd have to apologize for all those years they've neglected him.

Meanwhile, Cassell continues to turn out novels that belong with the greats and here I'm thinking James Jones and Herman Wouk, the writers we turn to for works that entertain and educate, certainly in terms of war and peace - and I'm even tempted to place Cassell in the category of Leo Tolstoy.

Don't believe me? Buy this book and you'll know what I'm talking about. Buy ANY of Cassell's books to find out what real writing looks like.

This one had me trapped from page one. There's so much going on in this novel, but it's narrated so clearly that despite all the fireworks, you're in there at all times with the main character, who happens to be Cassell. This writer fearlessly uses himself since every man, as we know, is a universe. This means we get to share Cassell's strengths and weaknesses, his fears and gallantry - all in time of war.

Does anyone do war better than Cassell? I don't think so. What captivated me was that right from the start we got to see, hear and feel the workings within the mind of a commander, a man who must serve his troops; a man who must win against all odds. I've been at war, but never been inside the mind of a man who must make those split-second decisions, as is the case in this marvelous rendering.

As with all of Cassell's books - and this is magical - we never know what's coming next. We never know what's right around the corner. But something's there, and something's going to happen. Will the hero be ready? That's how Cassell draws the reader flipping page to page.

Cassell knows his men, but he also knows his women. Oh yes he does - the good, the bad, and even the ugly! Sure he knows war, but he also knows peace, though the peace he writes about, here especially, is not always so peaceful.

You can't fool a man who's been in combat, overseas and at home (as a State Trooper). Cassell knows his business. Reading him, you know he's done practically everything he writes. You know you're in sure hands. He knows his stuff!

This - far as I can tell - is something of a departure for this writer who merits our attention. Yes, attention must be paid. Most of his previous novels are about the late 1960s and early 1970s - all first-rate! -- so readers may have expected him to be cornered. In this novel, he's tackled a new time and place where he's taken on a new rhythm in the writing. It's fast, fast-paced, quick cuts, back and forth, unpredictable, just like war itself.

In case I've made an argument for male readers only, then it's my mistake. This is a novel for both men and women. Cassell knows LOVE.

The shame of it all? This will not become a bestseller. Cassell is just too good. Too damned good. Those maharajas who run our culture won't let it happen. Unless we insist!

le ( )
1 vote | johnwcassell | Jul 9, 2009 |
Part two of a two-part series. Please do not combine with the first part, which has the same title.

John W. Cassell is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 131,710,741 books! | Top bar: Always visible