Beautiful Disaster (2011)

by Jamie McGuire

Series: Beautiful Disaster (1)

A New York Times and USA TODAY bestseller about a good girl dangerously drawn to the ultimate bad boy. The new Abby Abernathy is a good girl. She doesn't drink or swear, and she has the appropriate number of cardigans in her wardrobe. Abby believes she has enough distance from the darkness of her past, but when she arrives at college with her best friend, her path to a new beginning is quickly challenged by Eastern University's Walking One-Night Stand. Travis Maddox, lean, cut, and covered in tattoos, is exactly what Abby wants--and needs--to avoid. He spends his nights winning money in a floating fight ring, and his days as the ultimate college campus charmer. Intrigued by Abby's resistance to his appeal, Travis tricks her into his daily life with a simple bet. If he loses, he must remain abstinent for a month. If Abby loses, she must live in Travis's apartment for the same amount of time. Either way, Travis has no idea that he has met his match.… (more)
    Easy by Tammara Webber (becksdakex)
    becksdakex: Contemporary romance, college, young adult.
    Wrecked by Priscilla West (LISandKL)
    Fifty Shades of Grey by E. L. James (amz310783)
    amz310783: Beautiful Disaster reminded me of Fifty Shades, except loads better (I think this is how Fifty Shades should have been written.)

English (251)  Italian (2)  Czech (1)  All languages (254)
I did like the first part of the book before time expired on the bet. I try to stay away from Young Adult books but I saw this listed in the adult department so I thought I was safe. But, I think I'm too old to appreciate this book. I would hate to have a guy act this way with me. I'm not interested in the sequel and I sold this autographed copy back to amazon.com immediately. ( )
  Seayla2020 | Aug 20, 2021 |
When Abby met Travis, a smoking, gambling, fighter with a bad reputation, he was exactly the sort of boy she was trying to avoid. Yet somehow he was the exact boy she could not seem to get away from. Despite her best efforts Abby was falling for Travis, but with her stubbornness and his determination this relationship was never going to run smoothly.

Beautiful Disaster is entirely Abby's point of view of her volatile yet passionate relationship with Travis, a relationship that is at times the equivalent of a train wreck. Watching, or reading, this mishap called love is scary crazy and yet you can not turn away from the disaster that is Abby and Travis. A roller coaster of a book that fully lives up to its title. ( )
  LarissaBookGirl | Aug 2, 2021 |
It shows that even the broken can still love when they let their guard down and be okay with who they love. Definitely a good, easy read. ( )
  jepps19 | Jun 8, 2021 |
read this last year...unclear why it wasn't marked. Loved it, and loved Walking Disaster ( )
  DawnReaderone | May 8, 2021 |
Rating: 2.75

*sigh* what a letdown…

I used to believe that I can never be disappointed by books. They are the kind of best friends I’ve always dreamt about having: always entertaining me, never betraying me.

But then I came across this messy disaster. A HUGE disappointment.

This book felt like reading a fan fiction: poorly written and overly packed with a lot of pointless events that bored me to death instead of moving the story forward, therefore making it unnecessarily long.
The relationship between Abby and Travis that was supposed to be complicated but beautiful failed to move me, it was rather mind-disturbing and creepy the way Travis felt about her, he treated her like she was his possession or something and he was getting worse by each episode that included some other boy. What was more confusing is at times she didn’t mind, she was even encouraging him.

He’s described as one to act on his temper because of all these fights he’s getting into, but trashing the apartment just because she left the morning after their first time together… well, that’s not very romantic, is it?

I’m not one to mind some (or lot of) sex in my reads, I even like it when it’s beautifully done except that it was way disconcerting in this book. Travis was known to be a promiscuous boy who had been going at it with half the girls on campus; though with Abby, they hadn’t much practiced safe sex; she was just worried that she’d get knocked up. What about STDs and Infections? Or God knows what he might have caught? And what am I supposed to understand? That when you love someone, you don’t need a condom anymore?

I wish I was a more aggressive girl who could go ranting about a book she strongly disliked… I even gave a little additional star is for America and Shepley who were way cuter and had a much healthier relationship and for Travis’ brothers who were very funny and hilarious with their teasing.

I’m hopeless…
  Ash600 | Mar 19, 2021 |

Jamie McGuireprimary authorall editionscalculated
Galvin, EmmaReadermain authorsome editionsconfirmed
Zeltner, HenrietteÜbersetzersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For the fans whose love for a story turned a wish into the book in your hand
Everything in the room screamed that I didn’t belong.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 162,513,754 books! | Top bar: Always visible