Angelfall (Penryn & the End of Days Book 1)…

Angelfall (Penryn & the End of Days Book 1) (edition 2012)

by Susan Ee (Author)

2,1251996,331 (4.02)33
"It's been six weeks since angels of the apocalypse descended to demolish the modern world. Street gangs rule the day while fear and superstition rule the night. When warrior angels fly away with a helpless little girl, her seventeen-year-old sister Penryn will do anything to get her back. Anything, including making a deal with an enemy angel. Raffe is a warrior who lies broken and wingless on the street. After eons of fighting his own battles, he finds himself being rescued from a desperate situation by a half-starved teenage girl. Traveling through a dark and twisted Northern California, they have only each other to rely on for survival. Together, they journey toward the angels' stronghold in San Francisco where she'll risk everything to rescue her sister and he'll put himself at the mercy of his greatest enemies for the chance to be made whole again." -- P. [4] of cover.… (more)
Member:jilliantow
Title:Angelfall (Penryn & the End of Days Book 1)
Authors:Susan Ee (Author)
Info:Skyscape (2012), 288 pages
Collections:Your library, Read
Rating:**

Work Information

Angelfall by Susan Ee

Sunshine by Robin McKinley (Anonymous user)
    Anonymous user: Both feature a plucky teenage heroine and an atypical love interest. Neither involves sappy eyeroll-inducing romantic dialogue. As I read Angelfall, I was immediately reminded of Sunshine, however Angelfall is a much better book. If you liked Sunshine, you might like Angelfall. I personally hated Sunshine, but enjoyed Angelfall.… (more)
    The Changeover by Margaret Mahy (Anonymous user)
    The Time of the Ghost by Diana Wynne Jones (Anonymous user)

I can't believe it took me so long to finally read this! It was so good. I can't wait to read the next one! ( )
  bookishconfesh | Sep 22, 2022 |
Lots of action and suspense. Great main character and plot. ( )
  DebCushman | Aug 25, 2022 |
I'm usually a Fantasy sort of girl. Fantasy books, knights, magic, assassins, Kingdoms in peril, a little violence and a lot of whimsicle creatures with a little romance occasionally mixed in. I tend to stick the genre I know best and love most.

So when I picked up Angelfall, I can't precisely tell you why I decided to try it out. Maybe it was the title alone, or perhaps it was just time for one of my not-so-secret but rare forays into the world of outside-pure-fantasy's-doors. I figured that what's the worst thing that could happen? I wouldn't like the book, I'd rate it and go on my merry way.

Angelfall was my surprise. I'm always (sorry authors!) hesitant to pick up a writer's first book. Usually, their tone--their voice if you will--hasn't quite been worked out. Sometimes they meander and sometimes their books change in 'tone,' half way through. Sometimes it's just obvious that this is their first book and it's awkward to read through. Susan Ee's voice and story remained consistent. Her main character's 'voice,' didn't change or vary too much from the original (what I assume is, anyway) concept.

Now, this is obviously (to me), a young adult book. The main characters are projected as young and the main female lead is 16-17 years old. Despite the fact it appears to be marketed to a younger audience, by placing the setting in the not-so-distant apocalyptic future the writer's been given a bit of leeway to portray her young female lead in a much more mature light.

It's not perfect. There's a teensy bit of Mary-Sue going on with Penryn; but it's slight enough that it can be easily forgiven for a great debut and a strong start.

I was glad I veered off my usual beaten path to pick this up. I would certainly recommend this to anyone who enjoys angel stories, romance, a dystopian-like setting and a good sense of humor and bantering dialogue on occasion. ( )
  HotPinkMess | Jul 31, 2022 |
Starts off with a bang and keeps on going. Interesting world building and I really liked the main character who is a 17 year old girl. I wouldn't really call this YA because it is very grim. The ending especially is Creepy. This is only book one so nothing is resolved. I liked the other main character Raffe. He is an archangel who has had his wings cut off. There is a lot about the situation and the angel world that is not explained and I'm hoping for more clarity in further books. ( )
  Luziadovalongo | Jul 14, 2022 |
TWENTY FRKKING THIRTEEN. FALL. ASDFGHJKL ( )
  profpenguin | May 3, 2022 |

Jansson, CarinaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
MAILLARD, AlexandraTraductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Soester, Selmasecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wolf, KathrinÜbersetzersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Ironically, since the attacks, the sunsets have been glorious.

Anything, including making a deal with an enemy angel.

Susan Ee is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 176,924,006 books! | Top bar: Always visible