The Lady and the Lion: A Brothers Grimm Tale…

The Lady and the Lion: A Brothers Grimm Tale (edition 2003)

by Jacqueline K. Ogburn (Author), Laurel Long (Illustrator)

With help from Sun, Moon, and North Wind, a lady travels the world seeking to save her beloved from the evil enchantress who turned him first into a lion, then into a dove.
Member:ShannaYoung
Title:The Lady and the Lion: A Brothers Grimm Tale
Authors:Jacqueline K. Ogburn (Author)
Other authors:Laurel Long (Illustrator)
Info:Dial (2003), Edition: 1st Edition, 32 pages
Rating:*****
Tags:picture book, k-3, fiction, folktale

The Lady and the Lion by Jacqueline K. Ogburn

The Magic Nesting Doll by Jacqueline K. Ogburn (Siliverien)
    Siliverien: This has the same beautiful pictures and it's another magical fairy tale!

I was expecting a retelling of the Beauty and the Beast story, but instead I got East of the Sun and West of the Moon which is even better! Of course, there's very little original material in the telling of the story (why mess with a classic), but what makes this book a great read is the stunning artwork. Long is clearly a master of oil painting, as each illustration is lush with colour, highly detailed, and perfectly composed. The background details are slightly more stylized than I'm used to seeing in classical oil painting (which often tends to a blurred softness), but this fits the storybook format quite well and leads the reader to focus on the more ornate foreground and subjects. My only complaint (and it's more of an observation than true criticism) is that Long mixes so many distinct stylizations (I got some Japanese, Chinese, Middle Eastern, Western, and Indian influences) that it might be a bit overdone for some tastes. ( )
  JaimieRiella | Feb 25, 2021 |
This book is beautiful. The amazing illustrations remind me of Da Vinci painting. And the story while at part is a Beauty and the Beast retelling, it is also something entirely new, with new edge. I loved everything about it. It may be a little long for story time, but it would be great for bedtime or rainy day reading.
#Wintergames #teamreadnosereindeer +16 ( )
  LibrarianRyan | Dec 15, 2020 |
I really liked this folktale, what I liked the most about it was the fact that the woman saved her husband in it. In a lot of folktales and fairy tales, it's always the man saving the woman. I found that the plot line for this was similar to Disney's Beauty and the Beast. I know Disney got a lot of inspiration for their movies through stories and folktales, but it was fun for me to think of the similarities and differences throughout the book. ( )
  ShannaYoung | Nov 19, 2019 |
This is a retelling of a Brother's Grimm fairy tale, but without the harsh tone. This book has a great message. Love has no bounds. The princess in this story followed her prince till the end of the world. She was smart and cunning and found him even though all odds were against her. It's a classic Princess meets Prince, but nevertheless it was a great read. The pictures were fantastic and brought the story to life. ( )
  jaelynculliford | Oct 2, 2014 |
In this INSANELY beautiful picture-book retelling of the Brothers Grimm fairy-tale, The Singing, Springing Lark ("Das singende springende Löweneckerchen," in the original), a merchant and his daughter must confront the consequences, when the daughter's innocent request for a singing lark, and her father's not-so-innocent effort to obtain one, arouse the ire of a fearsome lion. Agreeing to live with the lion, in order to spare her father's life, the daughter discovers that her captor is actually a prince, cursed to remain in lion form during the day, but reverting to human form at night. Soon, the pair have fallen in love and married. But when an accidental exposure to candlelight sees her husband transformed into a dove, a dove who then flees, the lady must set out in pursuit of him, aided by the sun, moon and wind, and eventually rescuing him from the enchantress who wishes to keep him as her own...

With elements of both Beauty and the Beast (the merchant's illicit attempt to obtain the lark, his daughter's sacrifice of herself, to save him) and East o' the Sun and West o' the Moon (the quest to rescue the beloved, the aid given by natural phenomena like the sun, moon and wind, the conflict with the enchantress), this story has immense appeal in its own right, and will be of interest to fairy-tale lovers of all kinds. The lushly ornate artwork by Laurel Long - whose fairy-tale illustrations always remind me of the fabulous Kinuko Y. Craft - simply has to be seen to be believed! Two of my favorite scenes from the book are the one in which the lady meets the lion for the very first time, and the one in which the lady is aided by the moon, in her quest to rescue her beloved. Just beautiful! I will definitely be adding The Lady and the Lion to my permanent fairy-tale collection! ( )
  AbigailAdams26 | Apr 2, 2013 |

Jacqueline K. Ogburnprimary authorall editionscalculated
Long, LaurelIllustratormain authorall editionsconfirmed
For Shea -L.L.

To my family: Ben, Claire, and Emily -J.K.O.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 163,468,638 books! | Top bar: Always visible