Die Kunst des klaren Denkens by Rolf Dobelli

Die Kunst des klaren Denkens (original 2011; edition 2014)

by Rolf Dobelli (Author)

1,0282014,674 (3.68)1
An exploration of human reasoning reveals how to recognize and avoid simple errors in our day-to-day thinking in order to transform the decision-making process.
Member:timoheuer
Title:Die Kunst des klaren Denkens
Authors:Rolf Dobelli (Author)
Info:DTV Deutscher Taschenbuch (2014)
Rating:***
Tags:lang:de, sachbuch

The Art of Thinking Clearly by Rolf Dobelli (2011)

Recently added byprivate library, praneetC, Shail9689, jiyoungh, Joaquin.Foressi, Matt_0029

English (15)  German (2)  Dutch (1)  Finnish (1)  French (1)  All languages (20)
The biggest takeaway from this book is that apparently you don’t need any credentials or expertise at all to publish non-fiction. Sometimes Dobelli’s greenhorn approach to behavioral science can be refreshing compared to the obfuscating language of academics, but he also frequently misrepresents and over-simplifies. He also tries to coin certain concepts when there already exists a term for it (e.g., calling “correlation, not causation” the “swimmer’s body illusion”). ( )
  jiyoungh | May 3, 2021 |
Ok so listing systematic errors is not quite as entertaining to read, who would have guessed? ( )
  SeekingApatheia | Apr 13, 2021 |
Good exercise and basis for interesting conversations. Quotes Kahnemann a little too often for my taste, but I suppose it is only in order to include every kind of behaviour/thinking and studies about it that seems relevant.
I read it in German because was not sure whether it was written in German or English - am still not sure...? ( )
  flydodofly | Oct 2, 2020 |
Different way of looking at situations. The book is made up of 99 weird examples which are only 2-3 pages long. The later part of the book is better.

Example: If you have nothing to say, say nothing. You have hind sight bias. you have association bias.

Other stuff include telling you that news are 99% sensational, has no depth and adds little value so don't bother with news. Also, Speed demons are safer on the road because they spent less time on the road and are more focused on driving while driving.

my 150th read book. ( )
  Wendy_Wang | Sep 28, 2019 |
The Art of Thinking Clearly is compiled of 2-3 page stories and examples of biases and mistakes we make in our every day thinking. Most chapters explains the reasoning and influences behind the way of thinking and suggests how we can change them. Overall it was a good read. I would recommend this book to those self-helpers, anyone trying to understand and improve themselves. ( )
  tina0822 | Nov 28, 2018 |

Rolf Dobelliprimary authorall editionscalculated
Griffin, NickyTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
FOR SABINE
In the fall of 2004, a European media mogul invited me to Munich to partake in what was described as an "informal exchange of intellectuals."

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 157,747,780 books! | Top bar: Always visible