MetaMaus by Art Spiegelman

MetaMaus (original 2011; edition 2011)

by Art Spiegelman (Author)

Series: Maus: A Survivor's Tale (companion)

Visually and emotionally rich, MetaMaus is as groundbreaking as the masterpiece whose creation it reveals. In the pages of MetaMaus, Art Spiegelman re-enters the Pulitzer prize-winning Maus, the modern classic that has altered how we see literature, comics, and the Holocaust ever since it was first published twenty-five years ago. He probes the questions that Maus most often evokes -- Why the Holocaust? Why mice? Why comics? -- and gives us a new and essential work about the creative process. MetaMaus includes a bonus DVD-R that provides a digitized reference copy of The Complete Maus linked to a deep archive of audio interviews with his survivor father, historical documents, and a wealth of Spiegelman's private notebooks and sketches. Compelling and intimate, MetaMaus is poised to become a classic in its own right. - Publisher.… (more)
Member:TJGuy
Title:MetaMaus
Authors:Art Spiegelman (Author)
Info:Viking (2011), Edition: 1st, 296 pages

Work Information

MetaMaus: A Look Inside a Modern Classic, Maus by Art Spiegelman (2011)

As much as Spiegelman's Maus can stand alone as one of the great Holocaust memoires, this volume of supplementary material is invaluable in truely understanding the text. The interviews conducted with the artist/author do a fantastic job of exploring his artistic influences - which is important considering how unique his art style is - as well as his creative process - which is sure to be useful to future researchers of the graphic novel/comic book genre. The interviewer takes things a step further, though, and through insightful and sensitive questions gets Spiegelman to open up about his relationship with his father and the driving force behind his need to tell his father's story. Through their open dialogue we are able to dig much deeper into the story of Maus, as it not simply about survivors - it is also about the second generation and their relationships post-Holocaust. ( )
  JaimieRiella | Feb 25, 2021 |
Tan recomendable como Maus. Y al leer este libro, te vienen ganas de releerlo de nuevo. Y de descubrir a autores que menciona Spiegelman.
Sus reflexiones sobre el cómic son geniales, y hacen avanzar una futura lectura de Little Nemo in Slumberland.

Próximamente, en el blog, inauguraré un apartado de citas con este libro.

EDITO 20/2/2015: el DVD no es un DVD, es un CD-ROM. Dos cosas:
1) no hay traducido NADA del CD-ROM al español. Todo en inglés. Si lo editas en español, lo coherente es traducirlo todo y dejar el original si quieres, ¿o no?
2) se debe instalar QuickTime, incluso en Windows.
Malas decisiones ambas, según mi opinión, porque alejan a aquellos lectores no tan acostumbrados o que no saben inglés. ( )
  essuniz | Jan 2, 2021 |
Perhaps the most acclaimed and significant graphic novel ever produced, Spiegelman's powerful anthropomorphic [b: Maus|15195|The Complete Maus|Art Spiegelman|http://photo.goodreads.com/books/1327354180s/15195.jpg|1658562] chronicled the life of his father, Vladek Spiegelman, a Polish Jew Holocaust survivor. The powerful tale, related from a series of interviews between the Spiegelmans, employed cartoon, traditionally funny, animals as avatars for the various nationalities -- mice for the Jews, cats for the Germans, pigs for the Americans, etc. -- to great effect in this serious, intelligent, and important story. For his efforts, Spiegelman was awarded the prestigious Pulitzer Prize, the first graphic novel to receive the honor. Though Maus tales were serialized in various publications beginning with the 1972 underground comix Funny Animals, the initial graphic novel first appeared in 1986. To commemorate the event's 25th anniversary, the gorgeous behind-the-scenes hardcover Metamaus recounts Spiegelman's tribulations in creating his singular, personal family memoir. Amidst the rare art and family photos in the 300 page book, the magnificent tome includes a lengthy interview with the author, the Spiegelman family tree, transcripts of the interviews with Vladek, and a time line of the events in Maus. Additionally, the volume comes with The Complete Maus, a hyperlinked DVD of the entire graphic novel, an in-depth archive of audio interviews with the Spiegelmans, and lots more.
  rickklaw | Oct 13, 2017 |

Próximamente, en el blog, inauguraré un apartado de citas con este libro.

EDITO 20/2/2015: el DVD no es un DVD, es un CD-ROM. Dos cosas:
2) se debe instalar QuickTime, incluso en Windows.
  Owdormer | Feb 26, 2017 |
77. (from 2014) MetaMaus by Art Spiegelman (2011, 288 pages illustrated hard cover, read Dec 11-25)
edited by Hillary Chute

Yes, a gem by this perfectionist. I mean the praise should come with some caveats, but this has three things going for it. One is Spiegelman's perfectionist nature (he hasn't published much). A second is the perfect possible interviewer. And third is, of course, the actual content which is fascinating.

As intimidating as I perceived this long interview before I started, the wealth of information is tremendously rewarding and a lot of it comes up front. Art begins by talking about the story behind Maus*: the 13 years it took to make it, the long unplanned interview of Art Spiegelman's father, Maus's Vladek, that took place long before the book was started and how this single interview is the vast majority of the book, despite numerous subsequent interviews. (The original interview is included here in full both in text and audio form...but I did not listen.)

And Art talks about many key background aspects of his life, his childhood, his mother, his mother's suicide, his father, his doing most of the creating after his father's death, his wife (who seems to have played a significant role in making Maus), his struggle to get a publisher and his need to publish before he was done, creating a Maus I. Then he starts talking about Maus itself, the why of it (why a comic on the Holocaust) and various artistic aspects and struggles. This is where we get a sense of the insecure perfectionist Speigleman is, learning of his many many trials for each page and seeing very interesting discards and sketches. Slowly the book becomes more and more about Art's view on comics and his many influences.

My intimidation of the book, when it was still sitting on the shelf, was because of the likely time commitment and because I expected to have difficulty reading one long interview. I only convinced myself to pick it up because, after re-reading Maus for my RL book club, it just made sense to read this now and maybe add something to the then upcoming discussion. To some degree I was right about both. It is slow and I didn't finish before the book club meeting. The extensive illustrations actually slow down the reading because the text makes you want to spend time studying each picture and taking advantage of the associated text. And there were dry spells.

Anyway, there was some effort here, but this is really rewarding. Highly recommended to anyone who has been entranced by Maus.

*I reviewed Maus in my 2014 thread (Link Here, post 172). In short, it's special to me and a groundbreaking masterpiece to the book world.

2015
https://www.librarything.com/topic/185746#5000787 ( )
3 vote dchaikin | Jan 10, 2015 |

Spiegelman, Artprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Chute, HillaryContributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed

Belongs to Series

Reference guide/companion to

MetaMaus is built around a series of taped conversations with Hilary Chute.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 177,070,264 books! | Top bar: Always visible