Empress of the Seven Hills

by Kate Quinn

Series: Empress of Rome Saga (3)

Powerful, prosperous, and expanding ever farther into the untamed world, the Roman Empire has reached its zenith under the rule of the beloved Emperor Trajan. But neither Trajan nor his reign can last forever... --Publisher.

I've loved everything I've read by Kate Quinn, but this one admittedly took some time for me to sink into. Normally, Quinn's characterization is on point. Everyone is fleshed out with their own quirks, attitudes, and motivations. In this one, Vix and Sabina in particular felt a little flat until about a third of the way into it. Vix was a little too naive for my taste and Sabina's desires didn't seem sincere for a while. Once I got past that third, the two filled out and became much more interesting. I don't necessarily want to read about characters I agree with. It's fun once in a while, but it's more entertaining reading about people I might not even be friends with and seeing how the author humanizes them. That, in my opinion, shows great skill in a writer, and Quinn did that for me yet again.

The only real drawback reading this book was the shifting perspectives. Quinn has always switched between character perspectives, and I've never minded because there are clear breaks so it doesn't get confusing. However, Vix's perspective was told retroactively. Every now and then, he made comments like "Little did I know then... If I only I knew then... That turned out to be..." etc. It was jarring because everyone else's sections were secured in the present. While it did peak my interest at times, I would've preferred coming to those conclusions myself and being surprised.

Overall, this is a fantastic book, and I recommend this to anyone interested in learning about the Roman Empire, anyone who loves a good romance as long as it doesn't dominate the story, and flawed but lovable characters. Because I certainly did. ( )
  readerbug2 | Nov 16, 2023 |
Exhilarating and easy read about Vercingetorix, Hadrian, and Trajan. I love Quinn's books and the way she makes Roman events so interesting and personal. Of course, the ending leaves much to be desired, since it's part of a series, and I don't want to wait another year for her next one to come out! Write faster~! ( )
  kwskultety | Jul 4, 2023 |
I love it, just as much as the other two. The characters are so easy to get drawn into, and the plot is terrific. Can't wait to read more about Vix. ( )
  Linyarai | Feb 16, 2020 |
I liked this book but not as much as the first two. I think my main problem was that some of the story was told from the point of view of a character I really could NOT stand, and she soured me on a lot of the novel. I'm really glad that Quinn chose not to write out a lot of the battles in detail, filling in only a few places that were of import. I also wish more had been written about Trajan himself rather than the stories of him always being from everyone else's point of view. Still, I'm going to read the next one just to see what happens to everyone left in this one. ( )
  ladypembroke | May 17, 2019 |
Unable to live a quiet life in Brigantia, Vix returns to Trajan's Rome where he gets work as a bodyguard for Marcus
Norbanus before joining the legions.

There are certain fictional versions of historical characters it's very difficult to convince readers are not a true portrait. One of these is "The Memoirs of Hadrian" by Marguerite Yourcenar. By the time I'd read a few chapters of this book I knew I was not going to like Kate Quinn's completely different picture of Hadrian, but the book compelled me to keep reading despite the growing dread that came from knowing what was going to happen. It's a gripping ride that won't let go and there is some humour and a couple of bits where I did get teary-eyed as well. ( )
  Robertgreaves | Jul 11, 2017 |

Kate Quinnprimary authorall editionscalculated
Wiley, ElizabethNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Belongs to Series

Current Discussions

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 204,437,033 books! | Top bar: Always visible