Showings by of Norwich Julian

Showings (edition 1978)

by of Norwich Julian, Edmund Colledge, James Walsh

620427,214 (4.12)None
Here are witty and startling perceptions of the ¿feminine¿ nature of God by one of the greatest of all English mystics. Julian (1342-c.1423) was an anchoress who lived in solitude in Norwich, England.
Member:zampinthelamp
Title:Showings
Authors:of Norwich Julian
Other authors:Edmund Colledge, James Walsh
Info:New York : Paulist Press, c1978.
Tags:Theology

Julian of Norwich: Showings by Julian of Norwich

I am grateful I finally got around to reading this book, though it was difficult. I read the shorter and longer texts. I found the longer text more engaging (which I was surprised by).

Julian of Norwich relates the content of sixteen visions she has which reveal Christ, his suffering, creation, the Trinity, thoughts on sin, God's love. This is a rich theologically reflective text. Well worth it.

It is written in the thirteenth century, so don't expect an easy read. Julian takes a little work. ( )
1 vote Jamichuk | May 22, 2017 |
"As a major fan and promoter of Julian of Norwich, whom I call 'my favorite mystic', it is genuinely exciting to find such a faithful but freeing translation of Julian's long lost Showings. Now they are no longer lost--for anyone!" --Fr. Richard Rohr, O.F.M., Center for Action and Contemplation
  stjohnslibrary06 | Oct 20, 2015 |
Classic mystical spirituality, a much neglected part of the Christian tradition, from a very famous woman. ( )
  John5918 | Sep 11, 2006 |
Julian probably needs no introduction. This edition has very good notes and a reasonable "translation".
  tole_lege | Oct 23, 2005 |

Norwich, Julian ofprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Colledge, Edmund, OSATranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Leclercq, Jean, OSBPrefacesecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Walsh, JamesTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Belongs to Publisher Series

Julian of Norwich is the author of "Julian of Norwich: Showings". Edmund Colledge and James Walsh are the translators.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 151,701,305 books! | Top bar: Always visible