A cupboard full of coats by Yvvette Edwards

A cupboard full of coats (edition 2011)

by Yvvette Edwards

2952588,972 (3.72)1 / 89
Longlisted for the Man Booker Prize Shortlisted for the Commonwealth Prize A Kirkus Reviews Best Book of the Year He just knocked, that was all, knocked at the front door and waited, like the fourteen years since the night I'd killed my mother hadn't happened at all...A" Crushed by an impossible shame, Jinx's life has been little more than a shell; estranged from her husband, she is even relieved when he takes her young son with him. When Lemon, an old friend of her mother's, turns up on her doorstep, Jinx is forced to confront her past, and with the pain of remembrance comes the possibility of redemption. But Lemon has his own secrets to share, and together they unravel an unforgettable family drama, stoked with violence and passion. Rich with voices from East London and the West Indies, Edwards's narrative is delivered with a unique and uncompromising bite that announces a new talent in British fiction.… (more)
Member:richorlin
Title:A cupboard full of coats
Authors:Yvvette Edwards
Info:Oxford : Oneworld Publications, 2011.

Work Information

A Cupboard Full of Coats by Yvvette Edwards

White Teeth by Zadie Smith (vimandvigor)
    vimandvigor: multi-ethnic cast of characters; set in London; literary writing style.

Group TopicMessagesLast Message
 Booker Prize: A Cupboard Full of Coats by Yvvette Edwards4 unread / 4vancouverdeb, August 2011

English (24)  Dutch (1)  All languages (25)
Described as "a poignant family drama and a gripping mystery", this was an intense read.

ALERT - Spoiler: Since her mother's death, Jinx is an orphan dealing with her mother's things and her memories. The cupboard/closet is full of Jinx's mother's coats, beautiful; coats, each one a gift from her boyfriend, given after he beat her. ( )
  ParadisePorch | Jul 6, 2022 |
fiction (1997 London; some characters speak in Jamaican? vernacular, for true).
sensory-rich prose and skillful storytelling make the unraveling of Jinx's mother's story an engrossing read, putting me in mind of Toni Morrison's style but (thankfully) requiring much less analysis. Maybe the descriptions of her undertaker/embalming job weren't as accurate as I'd like (in my experience, no amount of skill in cosmetic application can ever make a corpse appear natural), but generally would recommend for book clubs and such. ( )
  reader1009 | Jul 3, 2021 |
Solidly written with compelling characters. The story kept me interested but ultimately wasn't terribly surprising. I didn't quite buy the moment of redemption at the end, but by the time I got there I was so attached to Jinx that I was mostly just happy for her. ( )
  GaylaBassham | May 27, 2018 |
  gayla.bassham | Nov 7, 2016 |
This is a brilliantly written, passionate mother-daughter story. Jinx has lived very contentedly with her mother Joy after the death of her elderly father leaves them financially secure. Joy, however, hides from her daughter her desire to be with a man and her unhappiness with their quiet life. When she falls in love with Berris, a fellow expat from Montserrat, the household turns upside down as the relationship between Joy and Berris leaves Jinx feeling rejected. Berris's friend Lemon steps into the fraught situation and provides comfort for Jinx. But there are dark places in all of these relationships and when tragedy occurs, there's more than enough blame to be shared and even more difficult forgiveness to be rendered. Somehow, each character is simultaneously innocent and guilty.

As told by Jinx, the story immerses the reader in the back stories of each character as if we are inside their heads. It's a genuinely strong and sorrowful read. ( )
  froxgirl | May 23, 2016 |
There are some beginner's mistakes, with a little redundancy here and there, but that aside, this is a writer to watch.

First novel explores the trans-generational fallout from an abusive relationship....As both Lemon and Jinx cautiously summon long suppressed memories of the night of the murder, the novel spirals to a satisfying if not entirely surprising climax.

An impressive debut, particularly notable for its pellucid prose.

It was early spring when Lemon arrived,while the crocuses in the front garden were flowering and before the daffodil buds had opened, the Friday evening of a long, slow February,and I had expected when I opened the front door to find an energy salesperson standing there, or a charity worker selling badges, or any one of a thousand random insignificant people whose existence meant nothing to me or my world.
It was early spring when Lemon arrived, while the crocuses in the front garden were flowering and before the daffodil buds had opened, the Friday evening of a long, slow February, and I had expected when I opened the front door to find an energy salesperson standing there, or a charity working selling badges, or any one of a thousand random insignificant people whose existence meant nothing to me or my world.

Current Discussions

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 204,086,151 books! | Top bar: Always visible