American Born Chinese by Gene Luen Yang

American Born Chinese (original 2006; edition 2008)

by Gene Luen Yang (Author)

Alternates three interrelated stories about the problems of young Chinese Americans trying to participate in the popular culture. Presented in comic book format.
Member:cin_who
Title:American Born Chinese
Authors:Gene Luen Yang (Author)
Info:Square Fish (2008), Edition: First, 240 pages
Rating:*****

Work Information

American Born Chinese by Gene Luen Yang (2006)

English (314)  Japanese (1)  French (1)  All languages (316)
The 2007 winner of the Printz Award for YA fiction, "American Born Chinese" has three seemingly unrelated stories: the legendary Chinese fable of the Monkey King's fight for acceptance among the gods, a lewd caricature of a Chinese boy, and the story of another Chinese boy trying to acclimate with American classmates. The novel primary focus is conflict, examining some of the cultural clashes between Asians and Caucasians and even the Monkey King's clash with the gods. I liked the way the three stories eventually twisted together, but found the book otherwise unsatisfying. Maybe I did not empathize enough with Jin, the protagonist. My favorite character, by far, was the legendary monk, Wong Lai-Tsao. ( )
  skipstern | Jul 11, 2021 |
Teen graphic novel. I'm generally not big into graphic novels, but this one was surprisingly clever and funny. ( )
  reader1009 | Jul 3, 2021 |
I picked this up and read it in one day - it reads very quickly, as there are not many panels per page (usually about 4). There are several good messages in this book, including this: "It's easy to become anything you wish ... so long as you're willing to forfeit your soul". The artwork fits the story really well, and I was quite pleased with the ending. ( )
  quinton.baran | Mar 29, 2021 |
Eisner 2007 Best Graphic Album New
  JEJanke | Feb 16, 2021 |
Here is what I wrote about it in my blog:

"This was a book recommended by one of my colleagues, so I knew it would probably be good. It was great. It contains three seemingly unrelated stories: the story of Jin Wang, who just wants to fit in at school when his parents move into a new neighborhood; the story of Danny and his very Chinese cousin Chin Kee; and the story of the Monkey King. At first, the book seems to be a set of separate stories, but as one reads, the connection becomes apparent. The book does have some very funny moments too, and there are some lessons here and there as well. And when you get to the end, you just don't quite want it to end. A pleasure to read, and a fast read as well. I highly recommend this one."

I borrowed this one from the UHD Library.

The rest of the blog post is at:
[http://gypsylibrarian.blogspot.com/2007/06/short-booknotes-on-graphic-novels-14.html] ( )
  bloodravenlib | Aug 17, 2020 |

School Library Journal Review
Starred Review. Gr 7 Up Graphic novels that focus on nonwhite characters are exceedingly rare in American comics. Enter American Born Chinese, a well-crafted work that aptly explores issues of self-image, cultural identity, transformation, and self-acceptance. In a series of three linked tales, the central characters are introduced: Jin Wang, a teen who meets with ridicule and social isolation when his family moves from San Francisco s Chinatown to an exclusively white suburb; Danny, a popular blond, blue-eyed high school jock whose social status is jeopardized when his goofy, embarrassing Chinese cousin, Chin-Kee, enrolls at his high school; and the Monkey King who, unsatisfied with his current sovereign, desperately longs to be elevated to the status of a god. Their stories converge into a satisfying coming-of-age novel that aptly blends traditional Chinese fables and legends with bathroom humor, action figures, and playground politics. Yang s crisp line drawings, linear panel arrangement, and muted colors provide a strong visual complement to the textual narrative. Like Toni Morrison s The Bluest Eye and Laurence Yep s Dragonwings, this novel explores the impact of the American dream on those outside the dominant culture in a finely wrought story that is an effective combination of humor and drama. Philip Charles Crawford, Essex High School, Essex Junction, VT Copyright © Reed Business Information, a division of Reed Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved. From: Reed Elsevier Inc. Copyright Reed Business Information

Gene Luen Yangprimary authorall editionscalculated
Pien, LarkColoristsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
To Ma,
for her stories of the Monkey King

And Ba,
for his stories of Ah-Tong, the Taiwanese village boy
One bright and starry night, the Gods the Goddesses, the demons, and the spirits gathered in heaven for a dinner party.

A great mix of mythology and the second generation immigrant experience told with wit, insight and humour. The graphic novel format is spot-on for this book. The illustrations contribute powerfully to the text.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 166,085,384 books! | Top bar: Always visible