Dear Hot Dog by Mordicai Gerstein

Dear Hot Dog

by Mordicai Gerstein

"Dear Hot Dog: Poems About Everyday Stuff" offers a wide collection of free-verse poems that children see or use everyday. Offers many different examples of how poetry can be written however you choose, rhyming or not. Typically children view poetry as rhymes, so this is a great book to share with young readers to introduce different types of verse. Colorful illustrations to go along with each of the poems and text flows in different ways across the pages. Light: "Where do you go with it's dark? Back into light bulbs when I turn them off?" These poems will inspire questioning our day-to-day routines and objects we use all the time without thinking about it. The Caldecott Medal winning illustrator Mordicai Gerstein features multicultural children throughout the book in the colorful and smeary artwork. ( )
  eckenrodt | Jun 7, 2018 |
The art throughout this book is fun, colorful, and connects with each individual poem well. The
artist was thoughtful in his interpretation on what emotion the person is portraying. The
collection of poems in this book is everyday life related from food to socks. My favorite two
poems from this book is Hot Dog and Bowl. ( )
  KrystalKeroack | Mar 18, 2018 |
This collection of poems reflects on the wonder and awe of everyday objects such as a toothbrush, pants, the summer sun, and a hot dog. It provides a different view point on ordinary objects such as a cup giving liquids shape and how we become unfamiliar with our toes once winter comes.
  sbarshaw | Feb 27, 2018 |
This Book of poems is great for showing how we can think of the world in many unique ways. It shows how interesting our world really is when even the seemingly most ordinary of objects are thought of more minutely. A cup gives form to liquids that are otherwise unshapeable. The stains on your jeans are actually a map of all the things you did for the day. The art has loose style which I think lends to this process of viewing the world in out of the ordinary ways. It would make for a fun game or activity to go around looking at simple things and thinking of the new ways we can appreciate them and conceive of their place in the world.
  williamlong33 | Jun 11, 2017 |
This book is a book of poems so it only has poems in it about every day things. It gives life to the things that we use every day with out thinking about it. It makes us realize that without these things in the book that we use every day our life would not have as much shape and happiness without it. For example something like a bowl is made beautiful with the description that was given in the poem instead of just being used to hold something it is used for multiple things, and without it we would not be able to do our normal everyday activities in life.
  BurgessMeredith | Apr 10, 2017 |

Whether it’s slurping up spaghetti or catching some sun at the beach, the everyday wonders celebrated in this collection of poems will appeal to young readers.

Cleverly crafted by Mordicai Gerstein, Dear Hot Dog follows three friends from the time they wake up and brush their teeth to when they snuggle up for bed with their favorite stuffed animal. In between playing outside, making crafts, eating their favorite treats, and reading, together they delight in the adventure and magic that each day brings. Gerstein’s vibrant illustrations and lighthearted verse make Dear Hot Dog a great introduction to poetry for young readers.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:10:54 -0400)

Collects poems celebrating everyday activities, including drifting off to sleep, lying in the warm sun, and eating spaghetti for dinner.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,968,952 books! | Top bar: Always visible