The Queen of the Damned (The Vampire…

The Queen of the Damned (The Vampire Chronicles, No. 3) (original 1988; edition 1989)

by Anne Rice (Author)

Intertwines the stories of rock star and vampire Lestat, beautiful twins haunted by a gruesome tragedy, and Akasha, mother of all vampires, who dreams of godhood.
Member:jcrn
Title:The Queen of the Damned (The Vampire Chronicles, No. 3)
Authors:Anne Rice (Author)
Info:Ballantine Books (1989), 512 pages

The Queen of the Damned by Anne Rice (1988)

English (75)  Italian (1)  All languages (76)
The last time I read "The Queen of the Damned" was close to twenty years ago, so it was just about the right amount of time to feel almost like I was reading it for the first time.

This begins right where "The Vampire Lestat" left off with Lestat's rock concert in San Francisco with some vampires loving him and some ready to kill him, and something killing almost all of them.

Here we have the vampire queen, Akasha, finally getting up after sitting her throne for 6,000 years, while two other 6,000 year old ones, Maharet and Khayman, both of whom are too strong to be killed by Akasha, get together with the younger ones that Lestat loves to try and stop her plans.

Akasha's plan is nothing short of becoming a goddess and ruling the world by killing 90% of the men in order for women to live in peace without war and killing and violence.

She takes Lestat on a tour of some of the most impoverished, troubled parts of the world to try and get him to understand the value in her plan while feeding him enough of her own blood to make him as strong and powerful as any of the ancient ones and he tries to talk her out of it.

Meanwhile, in a hidden compound, Maharet tells the few remaining vampires the history of how vampires came to be, since she, her twin and Khayman were part of their genesis, and how Akasha can be expected to behave so they can think of a way to defeat her.

Anne Rice's theme in this seems to be anti-religion as the 'good guys' discuss it and state how humanity has advanced and since some of them are old enough they say the world is far better with science progressing over religion than in earlier times.

Overall, it's pretty good. A lot of it is a bit longish and the story and themes could probably have been told a little more concise. Many of the scenes with Akasha and Lestat feel like they drag on longer than they should. ( )
  KevinRubin | Aug 6, 2020 |
Anne Rice is the author to go to when you want to read a really good vampire novel. Not the type of vampire novels where vampires sparkle and are just too over the top (eye roll). This is vampires done well, with all the rich details and history to go along with them. I love this series and need to pick it back up again - I got stuck on the 6th one and need to push through it! ( )
  justagirlwithabook | Aug 2, 2018 |
See Interview with a Vampire. ( )
  Kim_Sasso | Mar 14, 2018 |
When I finished reading this book I actually threw it across the room because of the cliff hanger ending. It had involved me that much that I could not bear to not know what was going to happen next. Admittedly I was 19 and the world owed me the right of explanation all 19 year old's demand. I'll sum it up 21 years later by saying it was a very absorbing novel well worth the read. ( )
  KatiaMDavis | Dec 19, 2017 |
OK, I have no idea why in hell Anne Rice allowed Hollywood to make that movie that's "supposedly" an adaptation of this book! They are so utterly & completely different it makes me hate the film. There was SO much of the plot and so many characters that were in the book but left out of the film it makes me confused as to how anyone can see them as the same let alone similar. I'm partial to the film Interview with the Vampire, however Queen of the Damned is nothing but a poppy vampire fad film now after reading the real story of the book. While I'm excited to continue the book series, I also believe that if there's a film series that needs a reboot, it's THIS series. And DO IT RIGHT THIS TIME DAMMIT!!! ( )
1 vote SumisBooks | Nov 12, 2017 |

Anne Riceprimary authorall editionscalculated
Muller, FrankNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Belongs to Series

Belongs to Publisher Series

Goldmann (9843)

Is contained in

Has the adaptation

Has as a reference guide/companion

TRAGIC RABBIT

Tragic rabbit, a painting.
The caked ears green like rolled corn.
The black forehead pointing at the stars.
A painting on my wall, alone

as rabbits are
and aren't. Fat red cheek,
all Art, trembling nose,
a habit hard to break as not.

You too can be a tragic rabbit; green and red
your back, blue your manly little chest.
But if you're ever goaded into being one
beware the True Flesh, it

will knock you off your tragic horse
and break your tragic colors like a ghost
breaks marble; your wounds will heal
so quickly water

will be jealous.
Rabbits on white paper painted
outgrow all charms against their breeding wild;
and their rolled corn ears become horns.

So watch out if the tragic life feels fine-
caught in the rabbit trap
all colors look like sunlight's swords,
and scissors like The Living Lord.

STAN RICE

my beloved editors:
John Dodds
and
William Whitehead
I'm the Vampire Lestat. Remember me?

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 150,684,313 books! | Top bar: Always visible