The Fault in Our Stars by John Green

The Fault in Our Stars (2012)

by John Green

Looking for Alaska by John Green (kaledrina)
    Every Day by David Levithan (brnoze)
    brnoze: This is a wonderful story with a great premise. A young adult who wakes up as a different person every 24 hours. The author drops into the lives of many different characters and we get to learn through the eyes of the main character A. This is a love story. a coming of age story and a fantasy of a very different kind. I really enjoyed it.… (more)
    Love Story by Erich Segal (cransell)
    The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time by Mark Haddon (Anonymous user)
    Eleanor & Park by Rainbow Rowell (StefanieGeeks)
    StefanieGeeks: Both stories have witty teenagers who fall in love as they go through tough times together and contain excellent character development.
    Paper Towns by John Green (StephReads, chwiggy)
    Before I Die by Jenny Downham (kaledrina)
    This Star Won't Go Out: The Life and Words of Esther Grace Earl by Esther Earl (TomWaitsTables)
    TomWaitsTables: Don't forget to be awesome.
    Going Bovine by Libba Bray (fyrefly98)
    fyrefly98: Both are about teenagers with a terminal disease, but both books manage to be incredibly funny, even when they're making you cry.
    Every You, Every Me by David Levithan (kaledrina)
    The Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky (tandah)
    Me and Earl and the Dying Girl by Jesse Andrews (chazzard)
    Never Eighteen by Megan Bostic (kaledrina)
    Accidents of Nature by Harriet McBryde Johnson (SylviaC)
    SylviaC: Both books have the same dark humour, and contain strong messages about humanity and disability.
    Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe by Benjamin Alire Sáenz (Anonymous user)
    Love Ya Like a Sister: A Story of Friendship by Julie Johnston (Cecilturtle)
    Will Grayson, Will Grayson by John Green (sduff222)
    Tell the Wolves I'm Home by Carol Rifka Brunt (LottaBerling)
    I Know This Much is True by Wally Lamb (mim)
    Me Before You by Jojo Moyes (bpompon)

English (1,161)  Spanish (21)  Dutch (9)  German (8)  French (3)  Danish (2)  Catalan (1)  Swedish (1)  Italian (1)  Hungarian (1)  All (1)  All (1,209)
I read most of this book on planes. It made me cry - a lot.

John Green makes wonderful youtube videos. I have enjoyed his work (on youtube) for quite some time, and I decided to read this book because I was curious about his writing ability. Now, I can say with confidence that he is a great storyteller. ( )
  Kyler_Marie | Sep 21, 2017 |
A wonderful book! Now I like John Green as a writer (other than Mental floss videos, which I love!) This guy is amazing - and I love his brother Hank! Hazel is a 16 year old with cancer who falls in love with Augustus, a cancer survivor (or so we thought). Turns out Hazel outlives Gus. A sweet book and real tear jerker! ( )
  camplakejewel | Sep 20, 2017 |
This is one of my absolute favorite books from my more recent reads. This book has a special place on my shelf because it represents exactly and profoundly the kind of book that truly impacts my soul; the kind of book that embodies my reason for reading in the first place.

For one, I have always been very particular about writing style. I love it when words, phrases, and sentences run and flow together like water, revealing themselves in just right way. Like there was never a better way before or after to express an emotion or an experience. Writer's who do this, who make me pause to read and reread a line, their books have a special place on my shelf.

I also love this book because my favorite kinds of books are tearjerkers. I know, it seems weird to love books that make me cry--and I don't mean tear up... I mean cry-a-box-of-tissues-into-a-crumpled-mess-on-the-nightstand kind of sob--but it is so cathartic. Books like this one take me deeper into a story because I develop an inevitable emotional connection with the characters that can't be simply severed by the book's end. They stay with me. Hazel and Gus... they live in my heart now and forever and their story is an always sort of story. This book, which explores the love story of these two people, two teens with cancer, reminded me what really matters in life. Even as an adult, I find myself forgetting. Getting caught up in small, insignificant problems and wants and losing sight of the big picture--what a gift this life and the people in it can be if we can just managed to see it as such. These teens, in their short lives, live so much more fully and love without prejudice, without condition, than most of us will do in a lifetime. If we could all live like this, the world we be a better place. Books like this, these books remind me, and after I clear away the pile of Kleenex, I feel I have gained a freshened view of my life and the world almost like I have shed a skin and I am, myself, brand new.

Okay? Okay. ( )
  PumaDenMPMS | Sep 16, 2017 |
This book was so amazing that I just HAD to write a review for it.
I had seen this book around for around for awhile and I never stopped to read the description or even look at it. Not even realizing I was missing out. So a few days ago I decided to pick it up. And I am so glad that I did.
I just felt that Hazel and Augustus story was so beautiful yet so tragic. I felt so connected to them, like I was experiencing whatever they were going through. It's not very often that I feel this way about characters. I laughed with them, cried with them and so on.
In the end, I loved The Fault in our Stars and I will definitely read it again (hopefully with less tears). :) ( )
  LooseMoose | Sep 13, 2017 |
RGG: The voices of the two main characters are mesmerizing, so while the premise and plot may seem a bit thin, the novel is intensely engaging and the messages ring true. A few sexual scenes. Reading Level: YA+.
  rgruberhighschool | Sep 10, 2017 |
added by melmore | editThe Guardian, Milo (Aug 5, 2014)

Allison Hunter Hill (VOYA, April 2012 (Vol. 35, No. 1))
Hazel Grace is a sixteen-year-old cancer patient, caught up in the effort it takes to live in a body that everyone knows is running out of time. When she reluctantly agrees to return to her local teen cancer support group to satisfy her mother, the last thing she expects is an encounter with destiny. New to the group, Augustus Waters is handsome, bitingly sarcastic, and in remission. He is also immediately taken with Hazel, and what begins as a casual friendship soon escalates into a full romance. Through an impressive exchange of books and words, philosophies and metaphors, Hazel and Augustus tear apart what it means to be both star-crossed lovers and imminently mortal. While Hazel fixates about how her death will eventually hurt her loved ones, Augustus obsesses about how he will be remembered; the two are drawn together by the justified anxiety they feel over endings. grades 10 to Ages 15 to 18.

added by kthomp25 | editVOYA, Allison Hunter Hill

John Greenprimary authorall editionscalculated
Rudd, KateNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Zeitz, SophieTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
As the tide washed in, the Dutch Tulip Man faced the ocean:
"Conjoiner rejoinder poisoner concealer revelator. Look at it,
rising up and rising down, taking everything with it."

"What's that?" I asked.

"Water," the Dutchman said. "Well, and time."

-PETER VAN HOUTEN, An Imperial Affliction
To Esther Earl
Late in the winter of my seventeenth year, my mother decided I was depressed.
My favorite book, by a wide margin, was An Imperial Affliction, but I didn't like to tell people about it. Sometimes, you read a book and it fills you with this weird evangelical zeal, and you become convinced that the shattered world will never be put back together unless and until all living humans read the book. And then there are books like An Imperial Affliction, which you can't tell people about, books so special and rare and yours that advertising your affection feels like a betrayal.

It wasn't even that the book was so good or anything; it was just that the author, Peter Van Houten, seemed to understand me in weird and impossible ways. An Imperial Affliction was my book, in the way my body was my body and my thoughts were my thoughts.
There was time before organisms experienced consciousness, and there will be time after. And if the inevitability of human oblivion worries you, I encourage you to ignore it. Got knows that's what everyone else does.
You are buying into the cross-stitched sentiments of your parents' throw pillows. You're arguing that the fragile, rare thing is beautiful simply because it is fragile and rare. But that's a lie, and you know it.
What am I at war with? My cancer. And what is my cancer? My cancer is me. The tumors are made of me. They're made of me as surely as my brain and my heart are made of me. It is a civil war, Hazel Grace, with a predetermined winner.
There is no honor in dying of.

Cancer teens in love --

You might want to have a box

of tissues on hand.

Sixteen-year-old Hazel, a stage IV thyroid cancer patient, has accepted her terminal diagnosis until a chance meeting with a boy at cancer support group forces her to reexamine her perspective on love, loss, and life.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,919,877 books! | Top bar: Always visible