The Fault in Our Stars (2012)

by John Green

Sixteen-year-old Hazel, a stage IV thyroid cancer patient, has accepted her terminal diagnosis until a chance meeting with a boy at cancer support group forces her to reexamine her perspective on love, loss, and life.
Recently added byprivate library, obowman, Arina42, JossNM, JazzJ
    Looking for Alaska by John Green (kaledrina)
    Every Day by David Levithan (brnoze)
    brnoze: This is a wonderful story with a great premise. A young adult who wakes up as a different person every 24 hours. The author drops into the lives of many different characters and we get to learn through the eyes of the main character A. This is a love story. a coming of age story and a fantasy of a very different kind. I really enjoyed it.… (more)
    Love Story by Erich Segal (cransell)
    The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time by Mark Haddon (Anonymous user)
    Eleanor and Park by Rainbow Rowell (StefanieGeeks)
    StefanieGeeks: Both stories have witty teenagers who fall in love as they go through tough times together and contain excellent character development.
    Paper Towns by John Green (StephReads, chwiggy)
    Before I Die by Jenny Downham (kaledrina)
    This Star Won't Go Out: The Life and Words of Esther Grace Earl by Esther Earl (TomWaitsTables)
    TomWaitsTables: Don't forget to be awesome.
    Going Bovine by Libba Bray (fyrefly98)
    fyrefly98: Both are about teenagers with a terminal disease, but both books manage to be incredibly funny, even when they're making you cry.
    Every You, Every Me by David Levithan (kaledrina)
    The Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky (tandah)
    Me and Earl and the Dying Girl by Jesse Andrews (chazzard)
    Accidents of Nature by Harriet McBryde Johnson (SylviaC)
    SylviaC: Both books have the same dark humour, and contain strong messages about humanity and disability.
    Turtles All the Way Down by John Green (chwiggy)
    Never Eighteen by Megan Bostic (kaledrina)
    Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe by Benjamin Alire Sáenz (Anonymous user)
    Will Grayson, Will Grayson by John Green (sduff222)
    Tell the Wolves I'm Home by Carol Rifka Brunt (LottaBerling)
    Love Ya Like a Sister: A Story of Friendship by Julie Johnston (Cecilturtle)
    I Know This Much is True by Wally Lamb (mim)

English (1,370)  Spanish (23)  Dutch (9)  German (8)  French (3)  Danish (2)  Hungarian (2)  Swedish (2)  Italian (2)  Catalan (1)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  All languages (1,424)
Hazel Grace is 16 years old and fighting metastasized thyroid cancer. At a support group for teenage cancer survivors and victims, she meets Augustus. They trade books and become fast supportive friends. Initially it seems that Hazel is much more ill than Augustus. Hazel has read a book by Peter Van Huston that does not have a satisfying ending. They contact him in Amsterdam. He invites them to come and talk with him about the ending. The book chronicles the trials and joys they experience due to their illnesses. ( )
  baughga | May 13, 2021 |
One of the big perks of having your children grow up is that they start to suggest books to you… ( )
  RosanaDR | Apr 15, 2021 |
Nice ( )
  Ibrahim_Obalola | Apr 15, 2021 |
Spoiler alert! Very, very, very sad. I should have known better, but once I started reading I could not stop. The book is tragic. I am not sure if Hazel and Gus finding love in their short lives is a relief or incredible unjust. I cried (ugly cried) through at least the last four chapters and woke up heartbroken the next day. The story is well crafted and the characters are resonant, but make no mistake this is a story about dying (far too young) and there really is no escaping that. Okay. ( )
  mbellucci | Apr 10, 2021 |
I was very reluctant to read this book, I have to admit. I have loved every John Green novel I've read thus far, but this one is about cancer. Kids with cancer, in point of fact. I've already spent enough of my life thinking about cancer, so I was reluctant to read this. I didn't want to think about cancer, and I really didn't want to dislike John Green if he happened to do the stereotypical cancer novel. Usually it's either inspirational cancer books where the hero with cancer is brave and kind until the end, or it's the kind of cancer novel that spends far too much time dwelling on the pain and the anger and the anguish. None of them get it quite right, so it's a genre that I avoid.

I'm happy to say that John Green got it right. He didn't make the heroes out to be mythologically brave and kind. Nor did he write his characters so that they were in a constant state of pain and anguish. No, he made them human. He gave them good days, and bad days, and boring days, and exhilarating days. The people around them reacted the way people react when someone they know has cancer. Some left altogether, not knowing what to say, or not wanting to intrude, but nonetheless sending the message that they didn't care enough to deal with the discomfort of not having the right words or the right deeds to make it better. Some clung to inspirational platitudes, and to a hope that not everyone had could share. Some cried, a lot. Some bent over backwards to make their lives special, and others were resentful.

But mostly, I was struck by the humor, and by the way the other characters variably reacted to it. The main characters are each funny in their own right, not making light of their plight, but coping with it. The reactions that people had to this humor were honest, and familiar. The way friendships dissolve and form in reaction to the health of the main characters was interesting and felt realistic. I felt like much of this aspect of the novel could easily apply to kids who have a family member with cancer as well. It's easier to push away the people we care about because they just don't get it, or because we want to save them the pain of dealing with our drama. It's easier to crack jokes about it sometimes, than it is to face it head on. And sometimes there is no facing it head on, because all you can do is wait, so you crack jokes mostly to keep yourself sane.

There's so much more to say about this novel, but this review is already too long.

Yes, I'm glad I read this one, and I'm glad it's out there in the world and being read. ( )
  inkstained | Apr 6, 2021 |
added by melmore | editThe Guardian, Milo (Aug 5, 2014)

Allison Hunter Hill (VOYA, April 2012 (Vol. 35, No. 1))
Hazel Grace is a sixteen-year-old cancer patient, caught up in the effort it takes to live in a body that everyone knows is running out of time. When she reluctantly agrees to return to her local teen cancer support group to satisfy her mother, the last thing she expects is an encounter with destiny. New to the group, Augustus Waters is handsome, bitingly sarcastic, and in remission. He is also immediately taken with Hazel, and what begins as a casual friendship soon escalates into a full romance. Through an impressive exchange of books and words, philosophies and metaphors, Hazel and Augustus tear apart what it means to be both star-crossed lovers and imminently mortal. While Hazel fixates about how her death will eventually hurt her loved ones, Augustus obsesses about how he will be remembered; the two are drawn together by the justified anxiety they feel over endings. grades 10 to Ages 15 to 18.

added by kthomp25 | editVOYA, Allison Hunter Hill

John Greenprimary authorall editionscalculated
Corral, RodrigoCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rudd, KateNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Zeitz, SophieTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
As the tide washed in, the Dutch Tulip Man faced the ocean:
"Conjoiner rejoinder poisoner concealer revelator. Look at it,
rising up and rising down, taking everything with it."

"What's that?" I asked.

"Water," the Dutchman said. "Well, and time."

-PETER VAN HOUTEN, An Imperial Affliction
To Esther Earl
Late in the winter of my seventeenth year, my mother decided I was depressed.
My favorite book, by a wide margin, was An Imperial Affliction, but I didn't like to tell people about it. Sometimes, you read a book and it fills you with this weird evangelical zeal, and you become convinced that the shattered world will never be put back together unless and until all living humans read the book. And then there are books like An Imperial Affliction, which you can't tell people about, books so special and rare and yours that advertising your affection feels like a betrayal.

It wasn't even that the book was so good or anything; it was just that the author, Peter Van Houten, seemed to understand me in weird and impossible ways. An Imperial Affliction was my book, in the way my body was my body and my thoughts were my thoughts.
There was time before organisms experienced consciousness, and there will be time after. And if the inevitability of human oblivion worries you, I encourage you to ignore it. Got knows that's what everyone else does.
You are buying into the cross-stitched sentiments of your parents' throw pillows. You're arguing that the fragile, rare thing is beautiful simply because it is fragile and rare. But that's a lie, and you know it.
What am I at war with? My cancer. And what is my cancer? My cancer is me. The tumors are made of me. They're made of me as surely as my brain and my heart are made of me. It is a civil war, Hazel Grace, with a predetermined winner.
There is no honor in dying of.

Cancer teens in love --

You might want to have a box

of tissues on hand.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 157,985,791 books! | Top bar: Always visible