dismiss

The Fault in Our Stars (2012)

by John Green

Sixteen-year-old Hazel, a stage IV thyroid cancer patient, has accepted her terminal diagnosis until a chance meeting with a boy at cancer support group forces her to reexamine her perspective on love, loss, and life.
    Looking for Alaska by John Green (kaledrina)
    Every Day by David Levithan (brnoze)
    brnoze: This is a wonderful story with a great premise. A young adult who wakes up as a different person every 24 hours. The author drops into the lives of many different characters and we get to learn through the eyes of the main character A. This is a love story. a coming of age story and a fantasy of a very different kind. I really enjoyed it.… (more)
    Love Story by Erich Segal (cransell)
    The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time by Mark Haddon (Anonymous user)
    Eleanor & Park by Rainbow Rowell (StefanieGeeks)
    StefanieGeeks: Both stories have witty teenagers who fall in love as they go through tough times together and contain excellent character development.
    Paper Towns by John Green (StephReads, chwiggy)
    Before I Die by Jenny Downham (kaledrina)
    This Star Won't Go Out: The Life and Words of Esther Grace Earl by Esther Earl (TomWaitsTables)
    TomWaitsTables: Don't forget to be awesome.
    Going Bovine by Libba Bray (fyrefly98)
    fyrefly98: Both are about teenagers with a terminal disease, but both books manage to be incredibly funny, even when they're making you cry.
    Every You, Every Me by David Levithan (kaledrina)
    The Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky (tandah)
    Me and Earl and the Dying Girl by Jesse Andrews (chazzard)
    Never Eighteen by Megan Bostic (kaledrina)
    Accidents of Nature by Harriet McBryde Johnson (SylviaC)
    SylviaC: Both books have the same dark humour, and contain strong messages about humanity and disability.
    Me Before You by Jojo Moyes (bpompon)
    Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe by Benjamin Alire Sáenz (Anonymous user)
    Turtles All the Way Down by John Green (chwiggy)
    Will Grayson, Will Grayson by John Green (sduff222)
    Tell the Wolves I'm Home by Carol Rifka Brunt (LottaBerling)
    Love Ya Like a Sister: A Story of Friendship by Julie Johnston (Cecilturtle)

English (1,323)  Spanish (21)  Dutch (8)  German (8)  French (3)  Danish (2)  Hungarian (2)  Catalan (1)  Swedish (1)  Italian (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  All languages (1,372)
Nagyon gyorsan sikerült elolvasnom – kétharmadát legalábbis, aztán alig láttam a könnyeimtől. Ha jól emlékszem, nem ilyen szavakat használtam 16-17 éves koromban, de nem is ezek a dolgok történtek meg velem. Én is úgy szeretem a lányomat, ahogyan Hazel Grace-t az apja, csak én még nem találkoztam Augustus Waters-szel… ( )
  gjudit8 | Aug 3, 2020 |
I just finished this book. (I've also been watching the Lizzie Bennett Diaries, the vlog adaptation of Pride & Prejudice co-produced by his brother Hank Green - I did not remember they were related when I put the book on hold at the library.) I have mixed feelings about it - I think I have just realized something about YA as a genre. The thing is that most teenagers are painfully self-absorbed, which is developmentally appropriate, but pretty boring to read about, especially when you're not a teenager anymore. So writing books about teenagers is tricky. One way to solve this problem is to give your teenagers Hugely Important Quests, so that they spend most of their time focusing on saving the world, and very little of it gazing at their own navels (well, and at the navels of the people they have crushes on). Another way to solve it is to give your teenagers Seriously Adult Problems, which age them beyond their years. It's a more realistic approach, since plenty of teenagers do have seriously adult problems, and those problems probably do, for the most part, make them more interesting people. But they are also pretty heart-wrenching to read about, and maybe a bit emotionally manipulative.

So, that's my review of this book. It does a great job of describing interesting teenagers with Serious Problems. But it is also heart-wrenching and a bit emotionally manipulative. It is an excellent example of its genre - well-done, moving, and funny. But I have some reservations about the genre. I think maybe I'd rather read about teenagers who save the world via hugely important quests.

. . . But as I keep typing, I keep thinking. And actually, that makes me reassess the book a little bit. Because John Green is very aware of the quest thing, since his characters themselves explicitly say that they'd also rather be the sort of teenagers who get to save the world. And maybe that's the point of the book. Most of us don't get to save the world. And even if we did, the world would 1) not be completely saved anyway, it's not that simple, 2) not especially appreciate us, or appreciate what we stand for, but not *who we are*, 3) still require us to go to bed, and wake up, and brush our teeth, and go about our day, every day of our lives.

So maybe this is a better book than it's genre, because it's about teenagers with Serious Adult Problems that cause them to face the very ordinary adult problem of figuring out how to live a non-heroic life, without saving the world. Just each other. ( )
  elenaj | Jul 31, 2020 |
A quick read that will have you crying whether you like it or not. The only line I highlighted was: "I fell in love the way you fall asleep: slowly, and then all at once." The Peter Van Houten character is what separates this from other cheesy, sentimental young adult fiction. ( )
  luzdelsol | Jul 31, 2020 |
Reading this book for me was like reading the facebook posts of people I don't know. I'm kind of sad when sad things happen, but in general I don't care.
I didn't learn anything about these characters that I cared about. It was all clever banter and teenage philosophizing draped on top of a story that's gonna be depressing no matter how you write it. ( )
  katebrarian | Jul 28, 2020 |
I'm a latecomer to John Green. It took my daughter reading this book in a single night and insisting that I read it as well. Now I understand what all the fuss is about. Green is a great writer and TFIOS is a great story - often more about living than it is about dying, living in the face of that which will kill us. What's more, his prose makes TFIOS a highly quotable book. So I just couldn't help myself: TFIOS Quote Machine. ( )
  markflanagan | Jul 13, 2020 |
added by melmore | editThe Guardian, Milo (Aug 5, 2014)

Allison Hunter Hill (VOYA, April 2012 (Vol. 35, No. 1))
Hazel Grace is a sixteen-year-old cancer patient, caught up in the effort it takes to live in a body that everyone knows is running out of time. When she reluctantly agrees to return to her local teen cancer support group to satisfy her mother, the last thing she expects is an encounter with destiny. New to the group, Augustus Waters is handsome, bitingly sarcastic, and in remission. He is also immediately taken with Hazel, and what begins as a casual friendship soon escalates into a full romance. Through an impressive exchange of books and words, philosophies and metaphors, Hazel and Augustus tear apart what it means to be both star-crossed lovers and imminently mortal. While Hazel fixates about how her death will eventually hurt her loved ones, Augustus obsesses about how he will be remembered; the two are drawn together by the justified anxiety they feel over endings. grades 10 to Ages 15 to 18.

added by kthomp25 | editVOYA, Allison Hunter Hill

John Greenprimary authorall editionscalculated
Corral, RodrigoCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rudd, KateNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Zeitz, SophieTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
As the tide washed in, the Dutch Tulip Man faced the ocean:
"Conjoiner rejoinder poisoner concealer revelator. Look at it,
rising up and rising down, taking everything with it."

"What's that?" I asked.

"Water," the Dutchman said. "Well, and time."

-PETER VAN HOUTEN, An Imperial Affliction
To Esther Earl
Late in the winter of my seventeenth year, my mother decided I was depressed.
My favorite book, by a wide margin, was An Imperial Affliction, but I didn't like to tell people about it. Sometimes, you read a book and it fills you with this weird evangelical zeal, and you become convinced that the shattered world will never be put back together unless and until all living humans read the book. And then there are books like An Imperial Affliction, which you can't tell people about, books so special and rare and yours that advertising your affection feels like a betrayal.

It wasn't even that the book was so good or anything; it was just that the author, Peter Van Houten, seemed to understand me in weird and impossible ways. An Imperial Affliction was my book, in the way my body was my body and my thoughts were my thoughts.
There was time before organisms experienced consciousness, and there will be time after. And if the inevitability of human oblivion worries you, I encourage you to ignore it. Got knows that's what everyone else does.
You are buying into the cross-stitched sentiments of your parents' throw pillows. You're arguing that the fragile, rare thing is beautiful simply because it is fragile and rare. But that's a lie, and you know it.
What am I at war with? My cancer. And what is my cancer? My cancer is me. The tumors are made of me. They're made of me as surely as my brain and my heart are made of me. It is a civil war, Hazel Grace, with a predetermined winner.
There is no honor in dying of.

Cancer teens in love --

You might want to have a box

of tissues on hand.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 148,855,780 books! | Top bar: Always visible