The Fault in Our Stars (2012)

by John Green

Sixteen-year-old Hazel, a stage IV thyroid cancer patient, has accepted her terminal diagnosis until a chance meeting with a boy at cancer support group forces her to reexamine her perspective on love, loss, and life.
    Looking for Alaska by John Green (kaledrina)
    Every Day by David Levithan (brnoze)
    brnoze: This is a wonderful story with a great premise. A young adult who wakes up as a different person every 24 hours. The author drops into the lives of many different characters and we get to learn through the eyes of the main character A. This is a love story. a coming of age story and a fantasy of a very different kind. I really enjoyed it.… (more)
    Love Story by Erich Segal (cransell)
    Paper Towns by John Green (StephReads, chwiggy)
    The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time by Mark Haddon (Anonymous user)
    Eleanor and Park by Rainbow Rowell (StefanieGeeks)
    StefanieGeeks: Both stories have witty teenagers who fall in love as they go through tough times together and contain excellent character development.
    Before I Die by Jenny Downham (kaledrina)
    This Star Won't Go Out: The Life and Words of Esther Grace Earl by Esther Earl (TomWaitsTables)
    TomWaitsTables: Don't forget to be awesome.
    Going Bovine by Libba Bray (fyrefly98)
    fyrefly98: Both are about teenagers with a terminal disease, but both books manage to be incredibly funny, even when they're making you cry.
    Every You, Every Me by David Levithan (kaledrina)
    The Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky (tandah)
    Me and Earl and the Dying Girl by Jesse Andrews (chazzard)
    Accidents of Nature by Harriet McBryde Johnson (SylviaC)
    SylviaC: Both books have the same dark humour, and contain strong messages about humanity and disability.
    Turtles All the Way Down by John Green (chwiggy)
    Never Eighteen by Megan Bostic (kaledrina)
    Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe by Benjamin Alire Sáenz (Anonymous user)
    Will Grayson, Will Grayson by John Green (sduff222)
    Tell the Wolves I'm Home by Carol Rifka Brunt (LottaBerling)
    Love Ya Like a Sister: A Story of Friendship by Julie Johnston (Cecilturtle)
    I Know This Much is True by Wally Lamb (mim)

English (1,433)  Spanish (23)  German (8)  Dutch (8)  French (4)  Danish (2)  Swedish (2)  Hungarian (2)  Italian (2)  Portuguese (Portugal) (2)  Catalan (1)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  All languages (1,488)
Okay? Okay. My heart = dead. Love l.ove love love love..... ( )
  Riaslibrary | Sep 23, 2022 |
This was one of the best books i read. It's just so different from any other, you know , John was able to put what people feel (when they're sad, scared, or sometimes just so hurt, weather it's physically or emotionally) into words. This book is incredibly amazing.
  Sadia_Baksh05 | Sep 10, 2022 |
John Green's most famous novel has basically broken all records during the last four and a half years since its publication. On Goodreads, it is right now the book which has the second-highest number of reviews (only [b:The Hunger Games|2767052|The Hunger Games (The Hunger Games, #1)|Suzanne Collins|https://d2arxad8u2l0g7.cloudfront.net/books/1447303603s/2767052.jpg|2792775] has more), and it has jumped on position 6 of the books with the highest number of ratings. More than two years ago, the book had already sold more than ten million times, and even the movie adaption with Shaileene Woodley and Ansel Elgort has been generally well-received. And now you already have the reason for why the novel will not receive more than three stars from my side (tremendously hyped books always have some difficulties convincing me). I know, I know, I also rated Twilight with three stars. Let's say Twilight was on the lowest part of the three-star-range and Green's novel almost, almost made it to four.

So, now one of the last persons on Goodreads who hasn't read the book before can now finally confirm the successful conquest of the adventure of reading The Fault in Our Stars. I expected a sad undertone, a lot of tears and heartbreaking moments, a novel which will not succeed to make you smile even once. But oh, how it did. I smiled a lot, because John Green was able to capture the perfect mixture of sadness and happiness, mixed with elements of humor and romance. The aspect which sets this book apart from so many other Young Adult novels may very well be the fact that our protagonists' problems are so unlike the problems of typical characters in other YA books: Gus and Hazel don't have to fight against emotional entanglements, old-fashioned parents or jealous ex-partners. No, they have to fight against something way stronger and way more serious: death.

And that's where the beauty of the story begins to shine in all its splendor. Because Gus and Hazel don't just focus all their attention on fighting their cancer diagnosis and suffering from their fear of death; they begin to see life from other eyes, learn to appreciate their experience with everything they have. The cancer changed their lives, but as horrible as it is, it didn't destroy these teenagers. It is easy to see why The Fault in Our Stars has been so well-received after its initial release, and I have to admit that my expectations were completely wrong - and completely surpassed.

I will accept full responsibility for my rating which seems to undervalue this novel, but John Green's writing style simply never convinced me. At some moments it felt formulaic and cheesy, though I can forgive the latter because the romance aspect of the novel was still very likeable and convincing. However, I found it seriously hard to believe that Gus walked around like he had swallowed up a dictionary before entering Hazel's life. An entire dictionary. With a long section about metaphors in the appendix. ( )
  Councillor3004 | Sep 1, 2022 |
Surprised that there is a movie made. Right away I recognised her from the Divergent trilogy. (People across the world are slapping foreheads and going "of course!" The book is excellent and that's from someone who reads a lot of crime and thriller novels. If I can like it then it is good. ( )
  graeme.bell3 | Aug 25, 2022 |
A funny but obviously sad love story. looking forward to the movie although I'm going to have to remember to bring a box of tissue..... ( )
  Jen-Lynn | Aug 1, 2022 |
added by melmore | editThe Guardian, Milo (Aug 5, 2014)

Allison Hunter Hill (VOYA, April 2012 (Vol. 35, No. 1))
Hazel Grace is a sixteen-year-old cancer patient, caught up in the effort it takes to live in a body that everyone knows is running out of time. When she reluctantly agrees to return to her local teen cancer support group to satisfy her mother, the last thing she expects is an encounter with destiny. New to the group, Augustus Waters is handsome, bitingly sarcastic, and in remission. He is also immediately taken with Hazel, and what begins as a casual friendship soon escalates into a full romance. Through an impressive exchange of books and words, philosophies and metaphors, Hazel and Augustus tear apart what it means to be both star-crossed lovers and imminently mortal. While Hazel fixates about how her death will eventually hurt her loved ones, Augustus obsesses about how he will be remembered; the two are drawn together by the justified anxiety they feel over endings. grades 10 to Ages 15 to 18.

added by kthomp25 | editVOYA, Allison Hunter Hill

Is contained in

Has the adaptation

Is abridged in

Is parodied in

Has as a reference guide/companion

Has as a student's study guide

As the tide washed in, the Dutch Tulip Man faced the ocean:
"Conjoiner rejoinder poisoner concealer revelator. Look at it,
rising up and rising down, taking everything with it."

"What's that?" I asked.

"Water," the Dutchman said. "Well, and time."

-PETER VAN HOUTEN, An Imperial Affliction
To Esther Earl
Late in the winter of my seventeenth year, my mother decided I was depressed.
My favorite book, by a wide margin, was An Imperial Affliction, but I didn't like to tell people about it. Sometimes, you read a book and it fills you with this weird evangelical zeal, and you become convinced that the shattered world will never be put back together unless and until all living humans read the book. And then there are books like An Imperial Affliction, which you can't tell people about, books so special and rare and yours that advertising your affection feels like a betrayal.

It wasn't even that the book was so good or anything; it was just that the author, Peter Van Houten, seemed to understand me in weird and impossible ways. An Imperial Affliction was my book, in the way my body was my body and my thoughts were my thoughts.
There was time before organisms experienced consciousness, and there will be time after. And if the inevitability of human oblivion worries you, I encourage you to ignore it. Got knows that's what everyone else does.
You are buying into the cross-stitched sentiments of your parents' throw pillows. You're arguing that the fragile, rare thing is beautiful simply because it is fragile and rare. But that's a lie, and you know it.
What am I at war with? My cancer. And what is my cancer? My cancer is me. The tumors are made of me. They're made of me as surely as my brain and my heart are made of me. It is a civil war, Hazel Grace, with a predetermined winner.
There is no honor in dying of.

Cancer teens in love --

You might want to have a box

of tissues on hand.

4 1979

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 176,554,576 books! | Top bar: Always visible