Have you checked out SantaThing, LibraryThing's gift-giving tradition?
dismiss

The Fault in Our Stars by John Green

The Fault in Our Stars (original 2012; edition 2014)

by John Green (Author)

Sixteen-year-old Hazel, a stage IV thyroid cancer patient, has accepted her terminal diagnosis until a chance meeting with a boy at cancer support group forces her to reexamine her perspective on love, loss, and life.
Member:Ianh.B1
Title:The Fault in Our Stars
Authors:John Green (Author)
Info:Penguin Books (2014), Edition: Reprint, 336 pages

Work Information

The Fault in Our Stars by John Green (2012)

Looking for Alaska by John Green (kaledrina)
    Every Day by David Levithan (brnoze)
    brnoze: This is a wonderful story with a great premise. A young adult who wakes up as a different person every 24 hours. The author drops into the lives of many different characters and we get to learn through the eyes of the main character A. This is a love story. a coming of age story and a fantasy of a very different kind. I really enjoyed it.… (more)
    Love Story by Erich Segal (cransell)
    Paper Towns by John Green (StephReads, chwiggy)
    The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time by Mark Haddon (Anonymous user)
    Eleanor and Park by Rainbow Rowell (StefanieGeeks)
    StefanieGeeks: Both stories have witty teenagers who fall in love as they go through tough times together and contain excellent character development.
    Before I Die by Jenny Downham (kaledrina)
    This Star Won't Go Out: The Life and Words of Esther Grace Earl by Esther Earl (TomWaitsTables)
    TomWaitsTables: Don't forget to be awesome.
    Going Bovine by Libba Bray (fyrefly98)
    fyrefly98: Both are about teenagers with a terminal disease, but both books manage to be incredibly funny, even when they're making you cry.
    Every You, Every Me by David Levithan (kaledrina)
    The Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky (tandah)
    Me and Earl and the Dying Girl by Jesse Andrews (chazzard)
    Accidents of Nature by Harriet McBryde Johnson (SylviaC)
    SylviaC: Both books have the same dark humour, and contain strong messages about humanity and disability.
    Turtles All the Way Down by John Green (chwiggy)
    Never Eighteen by Megan Bostic (kaledrina)
    Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe by Benjamin Alire Sáenz (Anonymous user)
    Will Grayson, Will Grayson by John Green (sduff222)
    Tell the Wolves I'm Home by Carol Rifka Brunt (LottaBerling)
    Love Ya Like a Sister: A Story of Friendship by Julie Johnston (Cecilturtle)
    I Know This Much is True by Wally Lamb (mim)

English (1,399)  Spanish (23)  Dutch (8)  German (8)  French (3)  Danish (2)  Italian (2)  Portuguese (Portugal) (2)  Hungarian (2)  Swedish (2)  Catalan (1)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  All languages (1,453)
Loved it! ( )
  KarlaWinters | Nov 19, 2021 |
Book follows two teenagers battling cancer who end up falling for each other. Hazel, the girl, goes to a support group for cancer patients and meets a boy named Augustus (or Gus) and they start to hang-out. As the talk and talk more, they care more and more for each other and end up going to Amsterdam because Hazel needs to live her life, no matter the cost, but while they are there, they share a kiss and end up "doing the deed" one and only time. Gus reveals that his cancer has com back and eight days later he dies. This novel not only got turned into a movie, but is a big hit for the ladies and is great for characterization and figurative language. Students get emotionally connected to the to characters and feel the struggles as if it is happening to them. 10/10 reccomend a class reading of this. ( )
  ORB002 | Nov 5, 2021 |
I really enjoyed this novel and I’m a fan of John Green’s books. I was inspired by Hazel’s journey through cancer and became really emotionally attached to the character. The romance between Hazel and Augustus is very sweet and pure. Although, I won’t spoil the ending, but it was very sad. Anyways, I would totally recommend this book to my fellow readers! ( )
  evabaudo | Oct 31, 2021 |
Despite predicting the ending, I cried... Lots. This story was very realistic and emotion-wrenching. Moral of the story? Cancer sucks. Definitely a read for anyone, especially if one has/had cancer, or if one has family/friends who have suffered as well. ( )
  bookwyrmqueen | Oct 25, 2021 |
sad love story
  hackedkiara | Oct 19, 2021 |
added by melmore | editThe Guardian, Milo (Aug 5, 2014)

Allison Hunter Hill (VOYA, April 2012 (Vol. 35, No. 1))
Hazel Grace is a sixteen-year-old cancer patient, caught up in the effort it takes to live in a body that everyone knows is running out of time. When she reluctantly agrees to return to her local teen cancer support group to satisfy her mother, the last thing she expects is an encounter with destiny. New to the group, Augustus Waters is handsome, bitingly sarcastic, and in remission. He is also immediately taken with Hazel, and what begins as a casual friendship soon escalates into a full romance. Through an impressive exchange of books and words, philosophies and metaphors, Hazel and Augustus tear apart what it means to be both star-crossed lovers and imminently mortal. While Hazel fixates about how her death will eventually hurt her loved ones, Augustus obsesses about how he will be remembered; the two are drawn together by the justified anxiety they feel over endings. grades 10 to Ages 15 to 18.

added by kthomp25 | editVOYA, Allison Hunter Hill

John Greenprimary authorall editionscalculated
Corral, RodrigoCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rudd, KateNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Zeitz, SophieTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
As the tide washed in, the Dutch Tulip Man faced the ocean:
"Conjoiner rejoinder poisoner concealer revelator. Look at it,
rising up and rising down, taking everything with it."

"What's that?" I asked.

"Water," the Dutchman said. "Well, and time."

-PETER VAN HOUTEN, An Imperial Affliction
To Esther Earl
Late in the winter of my seventeenth year, my mother decided I was depressed.
My favorite book, by a wide margin, was An Imperial Affliction, but I didn't like to tell people about it. Sometimes, you read a book and it fills you with this weird evangelical zeal, and you become convinced that the shattered world will never be put back together unless and until all living humans read the book. And then there are books like An Imperial Affliction, which you can't tell people about, books so special and rare and yours that advertising your affection feels like a betrayal.

It wasn't even that the book was so good or anything; it was just that the author, Peter Van Houten, seemed to understand me in weird and impossible ways. An Imperial Affliction was my book, in the way my body was my body and my thoughts were my thoughts.
There was time before organisms experienced consciousness, and there will be time after. And if the inevitability of human oblivion worries you, I encourage you to ignore it. Got knows that's what everyone else does.
You are buying into the cross-stitched sentiments of your parents' throw pillows. You're arguing that the fragile, rare thing is beautiful simply because it is fragile and rare. But that's a lie, and you know it.
What am I at war with? My cancer. And what is my cancer? My cancer is me. The tumors are made of me. They're made of me as surely as my brain and my heart are made of me. It is a civil war, Hazel Grace, with a predetermined winner.
There is no honor in dying of.

Cancer teens in love --

You might want to have a box

of tissues on hand.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 164,314,665 books! | Top bar: Always visible