The Fault In Our Stars by John Green

The Fault In Our Stars (original 2012; edition 2014)

by John Green (Author)

Sixteen-year-old Hazel, a stage IV thyroid cancer patient, has accepted her terminal diagnosis until a chance meeting with a boy at cancer support group forces her to reexamine her perspective on love, loss, and life.
Member:greenteaholic
Title:The Fault In Our Stars
Authors:John Green (Author)
Info:DUTTON (2014), Edition: 2000

The Fault in Our Stars by John Green (2012)

Looking for Alaska by John Green (kaledrina)
    Every Day by David Levithan (brnoze)
    brnoze: This is a wonderful story with a great premise. A young adult who wakes up as a different person every 24 hours. The author drops into the lives of many different characters and we get to learn through the eyes of the main character A. This is a love story. a coming of age story and a fantasy of a very different kind. I really enjoyed it.… (more)
    Love Story by Erich Segal (cransell)
    The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time by Mark Haddon (Anonymous user)
    Eleanor & Park by Rainbow Rowell (StefanieGeeks)
    StefanieGeeks: Both stories have witty teenagers who fall in love as they go through tough times together and contain excellent character development.
    Paper Towns by John Green (StephReads, chwiggy)
    Before I Die by Jenny Downham (kaledrina)
    This Star Won't Go Out: The Life and Words of Esther Grace Earl by Esther Earl (TomWaitsTables)
    TomWaitsTables: Don't forget to be awesome.
    Going Bovine by Libba Bray (fyrefly98)
    fyrefly98: Both are about teenagers with a terminal disease, but both books manage to be incredibly funny, even when they're making you cry.
    Every You, Every Me by David Levithan (kaledrina)
    The Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky (tandah)
    Me and Earl and the Dying Girl by Jesse Andrews (chazzard)
    Never Eighteen by Megan Bostic (kaledrina)
    Accidents of Nature by Harriet McBryde Johnson (SylviaC)
    SylviaC: Both books have the same dark humour, and contain strong messages about humanity and disability.
    Me Before You by Jojo Moyes (bpompon)
    Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe by Benjamin Alire Sáenz (Anonymous user)
    Turtles All the Way Down by John Green (chwiggy)
    Will Grayson, Will Grayson by John Green (sduff222)
    Tell the Wolves I'm Home by Carol Rifka Brunt (LottaBerling)
    Love Ya Like a Sister: A Story of Friendship by Julie Johnston (Cecilturtle)

English (1,340)  Spanish (22)  Dutch (9)  German (8)  French (3)  Hungarian (2)  Danish (2)  Italian (2)  Swedish (1)  Catalan (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  All languages (1,392)
A cancer book that isn't maudlin or sappy is a rare event. One where the cancer patients are teens that pulls off this feat is almost impossible to pull off. John Green pulls it off. This book, telling the story of Hazel and Gus, is simply a beautiful book. Told from Hazel's point of view, we get her honest voice that includes her worries about her parents, does not minimize the fact that breathing is a huge challenge that she does not always handle with grace and her wonder at falling in love even as she knows it won't last. The ending, like the rest of the book, manages to be honest without sentimentality, but have tissues ready. You'll need them. ( )
  Colleen5096 | Oct 29, 2020 |
The love between Augustus and Hazel is written in the final stages of their illness. Really, reading through the pages I was afraid that either of them would suddenly die. There are pages imbued with pain, I can't stop wishing them to try to get through the deadly pain. I can't count how many times have I prayed for Hazel to overcome the torture of her weak lungs, the little girl dependent on her familiar ventilator, having only one cure over the years.

I imagine Augustus as a handsome, enthusiastic guy They eat together, watch the stars, share together and be strong together. In me, I always wish for miracles to come, to repel the illness or at least not to be more serious so that they live forever together without leaving but what will come even if I try hard screaming and crying.

I laugh the most when I read the pages where Hazel and Gus are together. After all, I think the last thing still kept is the hope. Gus's death caused her pain ten thousand times, the pain that persisted and deepened than the pain in her lungs. However, her love for Gus is the most beautiful in this life, an unlucky girl with sickness seems to be extremely happy in love and she believes that, Gus also loves her with all of his heart. Gus's gift to the girl he loved was a letter written by Van Houten. With the imperceptible style of language, each letter leaves many distinct emotions, each character's words and words touch the reader's heart. ( )
  littlenora | Oct 26, 2020 |
This book is bittersweet. I read bits and pieces of it to a class I was subbing for, and like Hazel Grace and Augustus Waters, I had to find out the rest of the story, so I bought a copy for myself.

My favorite things about the book are the character development and the dark humor. The two main characters, Augustus and Hazel, are larger than the story and seem to live on even after the book is closed. Isaac does as well to a lesser extent. In one of those rare instances, the movie lives up to the book, so much so they the entire time I was reading it I was picturing the actors from the movie, which is very well cast. If you are a John Green fan, or even if you’re not, you should read this book. ( )
  LoriFox | Oct 24, 2020 |
Brilliant YA novel -- no tripe, no dystopia, no pop culture overload, just two very real characters in a crappy situation that they make the most of. Hazel and Augustus are unique but believeable teens who really have legitimate reason for angst: cancer. The way their relationship develops and the growth they demonstrate is heart-warming and gut-wrenching. I laughed, I cried, I am glad I read the book. ( )
  CarrieWuj | Oct 24, 2020 |
I love strong personalities and dialogue that's unpredictable and intelligent. This was my first John Green book and I was pleasantly surprised. ( )
  Mona07452 | Oct 23, 2020 |
added by melmore | editThe Guardian, Milo (Aug 5, 2014)

Allison Hunter Hill (VOYA, April 2012 (Vol. 35, No. 1))
Hazel Grace is a sixteen-year-old cancer patient, caught up in the effort it takes to live in a body that everyone knows is running out of time. When she reluctantly agrees to return to her local teen cancer support group to satisfy her mother, the last thing she expects is an encounter with destiny. New to the group, Augustus Waters is handsome, bitingly sarcastic, and in remission. He is also immediately taken with Hazel, and what begins as a casual friendship soon escalates into a full romance. Through an impressive exchange of books and words, philosophies and metaphors, Hazel and Augustus tear apart what it means to be both star-crossed lovers and imminently mortal. While Hazel fixates about how her death will eventually hurt her loved ones, Augustus obsesses about how he will be remembered; the two are drawn together by the justified anxiety they feel over endings. grades 10 to Ages 15 to 18.

added by kthomp25 | editVOYA, Allison Hunter Hill

John Greenprimary authorall editionscalculated
Corral, RodrigoCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rudd, KateNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Zeitz, SophieTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
As the tide washed in, the Dutch Tulip Man faced the ocean:
"Conjoiner rejoinder poisoner concealer revelator. Look at it,
rising up and rising down, taking everything with it."

"What's that?" I asked.

"Water," the Dutchman said. "Well, and time."

-PETER VAN HOUTEN, An Imperial Affliction
To Esther Earl
Late in the winter of my seventeenth year, my mother decided I was depressed.
My favorite book, by a wide margin, was An Imperial Affliction, but I didn't like to tell people about it. Sometimes, you read a book and it fills you with this weird evangelical zeal, and you become convinced that the shattered world will never be put back together unless and until all living humans read the book. And then there are books like An Imperial Affliction, which you can't tell people about, books so special and rare and yours that advertising your affection feels like a betrayal.

It wasn't even that the book was so good or anything; it was just that the author, Peter Van Houten, seemed to understand me in weird and impossible ways. An Imperial Affliction was my book, in the way my body was my body and my thoughts were my thoughts.
There was time before organisms experienced consciousness, and there will be time after. And if the inevitability of human oblivion worries you, I encourage you to ignore it. Got knows that's what everyone else does.
You are buying into the cross-stitched sentiments of your parents' throw pillows. You're arguing that the fragile, rare thing is beautiful simply because it is fragile and rare. But that's a lie, and you know it.
What am I at war with? My cancer. And what is my cancer? My cancer is me. The tumors are made of me. They're made of me as surely as my brain and my heart are made of me. It is a civil war, Hazel Grace, with a predetermined winner.
There is no honor in dying of.

Cancer teens in love --

You might want to have a box

of tissues on hand.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 151,766,320 books! | Top bar: Always visible