Once Burned (Night Prince, Book 1) by…

Once Burned (Night Prince, Book 1) (edition 2012)

by Jeaniene Frost (Author)

She's a mortal cursed with dark power...After a tragic accident scarred her body and destroyed her dreams, Leila never imagined that the worst was still to come: a terrifying ability to channel electricity and to see a person's darkest secrets through a single touch. Leila is doomed to a life of solitude...until creatures of the night kidnap her, forcing her to reach out with a telepathic distress call to the world's most infamous vampire. He's the Prince of Night...Vlad Tepesh inspired the greatest vampire legend of all--but whatever you do, don't call him Dracula. Vlad's ability to control fire makes him one of the most feared vampires in existence, but his enemies have found a new weapon against him--a beautiful mortal with powers to match his own. When Vlad and Leila meet, however, passion ignites, threatening to consume them. It will take everything they have to stop an enemy intent on bringing them down in flames.… (more)
Member:AniseEden
Title:Once Burned (Night Prince, Book 1)
Authors:Jeaniene Frost (Author)
Info:Avon (2012), Edition: First Edition, 373 pages

Work Information

Once Burned by Jeaniene Frost

English (93)  Hungarian (1)  All languages (94)
Excellent UF heroine. Has a mind and abilities of her own. Believable character flaws. Sexy/infuriating male lead. Will continue series. ( )
  Cerestheories | Nov 8, 2021 |
Loved the characters, both Leila and Vlad, and their witty dialogues. Very nice plot rich of suspense. can't wait for "twice tempted", wanna know how the story continues ^_^
  Sara_Lucario | Oct 19, 2021 |
This series is in the same world as the Night Huntress series. You can read the Night Prince series without reading the other, but I highly recommend reading Night Huntress first. Many previous characters come to visit Vlad and you can understand their relationships more if you have had the pleasure of reading the other first, but Night Prince can stand on its own.

Now, I read Once Burned when it first came out in 2012. I LOVED it! I devoured each book as they came out, but then the fourth and final book came and I never got around to reading it. When a series you love comes to an end it’s hard to finish that last book, but now I’m going to, so I’m going back and listening to the series for the first time to refresh myself.

*****

Once Burned is book one in the Night Prince series by Jeaniene Frost.

Vlad, oh Vlad. I love him. I loved him the moment he was introduced in the Night Huntress series and he is just as sexy and aragonite in his own series. I can’t tell you have happy I am that he got his own series. He’s damaged, dangerous, complex, and sexy. There is more to this Vampire than meets the eye. He’s lived through things that most people would have broke from.

Leila is a young women who had an accident that left her with some interesting side effects that changed her life. Her touch electrocutes anyone who she comes in contact with. Besides that she has the power to see the past and future just by touching an object.

These two meet in their minds first, but soon she’s under his protect. I loved these two together. Leila stands up to Vlad and no one stands up to him. They work together to find out who wants Vlad dead, who wants to use Leila to do it, and as they work together they grow closer, but will Vlad every love.

Frost is a talented writer. How she builds the romance and shows that a virgin heroine is not a burden, but a strong, capable, and special women.

Narration: Tavia Gilbert did a spectacular job. I loved her voices for all the characters, but especially Vlad. She gave him that old world charm and cariama. The story and plot come to life. I adored the audio and highly recommend this series and the audiobook.

Rated: 4.5 Stars

angelsgp | May 14, 2021 |
Second favorite by this author, with a really well structured lower power build. ( )
  wetdryvac | Mar 2, 2021 |
I loved this book! This was a re-read for me but I remembered much less about the book than I would have expected. Usually, once I start a reread, the story comes back to me but that wasn't the case this time. I probably read the book so quickly the first time that it just didn't stay in my memory. Or I am going senile. It could really go either way. The good news is that I really got to experience this book for the first time all over again. And what an experience it was!

Vlad has been a favorite character for me throughout the Night Huntress series so I was really excited to read this book where he takes a leading role. It was really nice to see another side of this sometimes brutal but usually fair character. Leila was great. She is human but has some extra abilities due to a near-death experience with lightning. As a result, she has become a target for a group of vampires who wish to harm Vlad.

I really liked Vlad and Leila. They are both great characters and they are great together. Leila does push Vlad further than he has ever allowed but I think that this push-pull behavior helps to bring them closer together. The chemistry between them was off the charts and I liked the way that they were able to work together to achieve a goal. Vlad was very protective of Leila and I loved seeing just how far he would go to keep her safe.

Tavia Gilbert nailed the narration once again. I love the voices she uses for all of the characters in the books set in this world and the fact that she is very consistent. Vlad's voice just suits his character and I love the way she brought him and the other characters to life. I thought that she added a lot of emotion and excitement to the story, which added to my overall enjoyment of the book.

I would definitely recommend this book to others. Readers who have not read the Night Huntress series could probably jump in here but I do recommend reading this one after the other books set in this world if at all possible just to have the background on all of the characters. I cannot wait to continue with my re-read of this delightful series! ( )
  Carolesrandomlife | Feb 3, 2021 |

Jeaniene Frostprimary authorall editionscalculated
Gilbert, TaviaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Belongs to Series

To JBA, for everything.
I parked my bike in front of the restaurant, wiping the perspiration from my upper lip.

She's a mortal cursed with dark power....

After a tragic accident scarred her body and destroyed her dreams, Leila never imagined that the worst was still to come: a terrifying ability to channel electricity and to see a person's darkest secrets through a single touch. Leila is doomed to a life of solitude ... until creatures of the night kidnap her, forcing her to reach out with a telepathic distress call to the world's most infamous vampire.

He's the Prince of Night....

Vlad Tepesh inspired the greatest vampire legend of all - but whatever you do, don't call him Dracula. Vlad's ability to control fire makes him one of the most feared vampires in existence, but his enemies have found a new weapon against him: a beautiful mortal with powers to match his own. When Vlad and Leila meet, passion ignites, threatening to consume them. It will take everything they have to stop an enemy intent on bringing them down in flames.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 164,596,190 books! | Top bar: Always visible