The Boleyn Inheritance by Philippa Gregory

The Boleyn Inheritance (original 2006; edition 2007)

by Philippa Gregory

4,223None1,175 (3.83)143
Member:bookjunkie13
Title:The Boleyn Inheritance
Authors:Philippa Gregory
Info:Touchstone Books (2007), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 544 pages
Tags:historical fiction, Anne of Cleves, Katherine Howard, Jane Boleyn, Henry VIII, England, own, have read

The Boleyn Inheritance by Philippa Gregory (2006)

(14) 16th century (63) 2007 (29) 2008 (23) Anne Boleyn (22) Anne of Cleves (120) Boleyn (30) British (22) England (159) fiction (307) Henry VIII (187) historical (111) historical fiction (612) historical novel (24) history (56) Jane Boleyn (58) Katherine Howard (110) novel (22) own (40) Philippa Gregory (21) read (58) read in 2008 (14) romance (50) royalty (57) series (19) to-read (66) Tudor (128) Tudor England (48) Tudors (103) unread (24)

English (135)  Portuguese (1)  Hungarian (1)  All languages (137)
I have this love hate relationship with Philippa Gregory's books. In the beginning, I have such a hard time getting into them. There's something about her writing style that I find hard to read. But in the end the fiction she weaves around the strange truths sucks me in.

I found the fact that this was told from 4 points of view hard to follow at first. I was alwasy confused about who was speaking. As the characters grew, it became easier.

All and all, I didn't dislike the book, but I'm not going to start telling people to read it. ( )
  lmm161 | Mar 30, 2014 |
Not as good as the rest of the series. This one seemed like odds and ends cobbled together. A pretty dreary story. ( )
  Clueless | Jul 8, 2013 |
This was more like Virgin's Lover and Queen's Fool than The Other Boleyn Girl: not nearly as tawdry. An interesting look from Anne of Cleves's point of view; a merciless look from Catherine Howard's point of view. I can buy CH's being uneducated and silly and vain, but cannot buy her being quite this ignorant of court life. The third POV, by Jane Boleyn (Anne's widowed sister-in-law) was necessary for background, not for story. She saw and understood things that Anne, with little English, and Catherine, without clue, could not.
  ljhliesl | May 21, 2013 |
Loved it! I'm a bit obsessed with King Henry and his many wives, and this book is about Lady Jane Boleyn, Anne Boleyn's sister-in-law - the one who helped send both her husband and her sister-in-law to their deaths. Philippa Gregory is a gifted writer whose books I really enjoy. Who doesn't love a big fat book? ( )
  coffeenut1992 | May 16, 2013 |
Wow. I am surprised that I was still very engrossed in this book even though I knew most of the outcome. That is a talent of this author.

I was most interested in the story of Anne van Cleve's because there is not much written about her (that I know of) and Philippa Gregory did not let me down. I was not sure what would happen to this woman so for me there was still suspense. Enjoyable read. Oh what an ass that Henry the VIII was. ( )
  Marlene-NL | Apr 12, 2013 |
For Anthony
It is hot today, the wind blows over the flat fields and marshes with the stink of the plague.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 074327251X, Paperback)

Three women who share one fate: the Boleyn Inheritance

ANNE OF CLEVES: She runs from her tiny country, her hateful mother, and her abusive brother to a court ruled by the terror of a vengeful king who despises her. Her Boleyn Inheritance: accusations and false witness.

KATHERINE HOWARD: She is in love -- but not with the diseased old man who made her queen and beds her night after night. Her Boleyn Inheritance: the threat of the axe.

JANE ROCHFORD: She is the Boleyn girl whose testimony sent her husband and sister-in-law to their deaths. Throughout Europe, her name is a byword for malice, jealousy, and twisted lust. Her Boleyn Inheritance: a fortune and a title, in exchange for her soul.

The Boleyn Inheritance is a novel drawn tight as a lute string about three women whose positions brought them wealth, admiration, and power as well as deceit, betrayal, and terror. Once again, Philippa Gregory is at her intelligent, page-turning best.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:38:58 -0400)

Three women who share one fate: The Boleyn Inheritance: Anne of Cleves: She runs from her tiny country, her hateful mother, and her abusive brother to a throne whose last three occupants are dead. King Henry VIII, her new husband, instantly dislikes her. Without friends, family, or even an understanding of the language being spoken around her, she must literally save her neck in a court ruled by a deadly game of politics and the terror of an unpredictable and vengeful king. Her Boleyn Inheritance: accusations and false witnesses. Katherine Howard: She catches the king's eye within moments of arriving at court, setting in motion the dreadful machine of politics, intrigue, and treason that she does not understand. She only knows that she is beautiful, that men desire her, that she is young and in love -- but not with the diseased old man who made her queen, beds her night after night, and killed her cousin Anne. Her Boleyn Inheritance: the threat of the axe. Jane Rochford: She is the Boleyn girl whose testimony sent her husband and sister-in-law to their deaths. She is the trusted friend of two threatened queens, the perfectly loyal spy for her uncle, the Duke of Norfolk, and a canny survivor in the murderous court of a most dangerous king. Throughout Europe, her name is a byword for malice, jealousy, and twisted lust. Her Boleyn Inheritance: a fortune and a title, in exchange for her soul. The Boleyn Inheritance is a novel drawn tight as a lute string about a court ruled by the gallows and three women whose positions brought them wealth, admiration, and power as well as deceit, betrayal, and terror. Once again, Philippa Gregory has brought a vanished world to life -- the whisper of a silk skirt on a stone stair, the yellow glow of candlelight illuminating a hastily written note, the murmurs of the crowd gathering on Tower Green below the newly built scaffold. In The Boleyn Inheritance Gregory is at her intelligent and page-turning best.Includes discussion questions.… (more)

Six editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,494,312 books! | Top bar: Always visible