Spell Bound (A Hex Hall Novel) (A Hex Hall…

Spell Bound (A Hex Hall Novel) (A Hex Hall Novel, 3) (original 2012; edition 2012)

by Rachel Hawkins (Author)

Series: Hex Hall (3)

Just as Sophie Mercer has come to accept her magical powers as a demon, the Prodigium Council strips them away and leaves her alone, defenseless, and at the mercy of her enemies the Brannicks, a family of warrior women who hunt down the Prodigium.
Member:strangetrails
Title:Spell Bound (A Hex Hall Novel) (A Hex Hall Novel, 3)
Authors:Rachel Hawkins (Author)
Info:Hyperion Book CH (2012), Edition: 1st, 336 pages

Spell Bound by Rachel Hawkins (2012)

English (51)  Piratical (1)  All languages (52)
Leider nur minimal besser als Bd. 2.
Das Ende war ziemlich abgehackt,

Rating: 2,5 ( )
  BarbsLory | Sep 3, 2021 |
3.5* Maybe I just wasn't in the right mood to finish out this trilogy, but this felt underwhelming. Turning points and the climax felt rushed and the author's choice to kill off a specific character really frustrated me. ( )
  courty4189 | Mar 24, 2021 |
Actual Review: 3.5 stars.

This book was totally not what I was excpecting. Well, it sort of was, because the beginning and the end were wayyyyyy too predictable. Can I say I was a bit dissapointed? I was expecting to read this epic, kickass ending with a war and all that good stuff. And all I got was a bunch of PLANNING for war. Not cool, Hawkins, not cool.

Many things irritated me during the course of this book. Firstly: Sophie. You might be thinking: "But Sophie is super snarky and kickass! She's sooo awesome! How can that be bad???" Yeah, well, she can. Being somewhat of a deadpan snarker myself, and, if I do say so myself, well versed in the art of sarcasm, I know that you can come up with a sarcastic remark for everything and sometimes it lightens the mood of a tense situation very well. But it doesn't work all the time! Sometimes, Sophie's snark in bad situation really pissed me off. For example, when you are planning to go to war against some of your own kind and just found out that they are raising a whole bunch of demons by killing all the people you went to school with, that is not a good time to say something funny. That is the time to be serious. Joke afterwards, Sophie.
By the way, I don't remember Sophie ever in this book comeing up with something productive to do this whole entire book. Most of her good ideas came from Elodie. That is so not kickass.

Another irritating thing: It was all solved wayyy too easily. After that cliffhanger in Demonglass,everyone thought Sophie was going to spend the book finding out if everyone survived, and trying to find them. Not so. What happened to Jenna? Sophie finds out in about Chaper 5. Cal & Dad? Around Chapter 7 or 8. Archer? Chapter 9ish. And guess what??? THEY ALL SURVIVED!!! Baisically, the whole middle of the book is intensly weird and not at all the direction I thought the book should take. Oh, and the 'climax' is all of about 10 pages, which sucks!

Third irritaiting thing: I was all JUST DO DAMN PREDICTABLE!!! I predicted the whole beginning and the ending of this book. And you probably have too.
Let's make a list, shall we???

1) Sophie's mom being a Brannick? Yep! (And after those 100 pound hints who expected anything less?)
2)All of them surviving the fire? Yep!
3) Sophie choosing Archer? Yep!
4) Cal dying? Yep!
5) Sophie's mum and dad getting back together? Yep! (Woot for The Parent Trap!!!)

I did like some things. And those things were:
Elodie - Elodie is so awesome in this book that I can't even begin to describe it. She tells Archer off, saves Sophie's ass, and Makes out with Cal! (she's got good taste!)

Cal - Cal is so awesome! He is sweet, nice, loves Sophie (for some strange reason) and is HOT! Too bad he was only in about 50 pages. I felt so bad for him!

mjacyla | Dec 12, 2020 |
Perfect ending to this trilogy, but I want MORE! ( )
  amandanan | Jun 6, 2020 |
The synopsis describes this series as "impossible to put down" and I'd have to agree with that. I read each of the three books in one sitting a piece. They're just fun, humorous and exciting. The wit and sarcasm was laugh out loud funny at times. I can tell that Rachel Hawkins is probably a bit of a geek just from some of the jokes. Also, I loved both Archer and Cal. They were both great guys and impossible to choose between. Luckily, though, the author doesn't make the romance the center of the story. Instead the story focuses on defeating the evil that has come to Hex Hall and the love interests take a back page to the greater purpose. If you like fun, magical books, I suggest giving the Hex Hall series a read. Just make sure it's a night you can afford to stay up late. ( )
  melrailey | Apr 7, 2020 |

Belongs to Series

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 163,221,925 books! | Top bar: Always visible