Desperate Duchesses by Eloisa James

Desperate Duchesses (edition 2007)

by Eloisa James (Author)

Welcome to a world of reckless sensuality and glittering sophistication ... of dangerously handsome gentlemen and young ladies longing to gain a title ... of games played for high stakes, including--on occasion--a lady's virtue. A marquess's sheltered only daughter, Lady Roberta St. Giles falls in love with a man she glimpses across a crowded ballroom: a duke, a game player of consummate skill, a notorious rakehell who shows no interest in marriage -- until he lays eyes on Roberta. Yet the Earl of Gryffyn knows too well that the price required to gain a coronet is often too high. Damon Reeve, the earl, is determined to protect the exquisite Roberta from chasing after the wrong destiny. Can Damon entice her into a high-stakes game of his own, even if his heart is likely to be lost in the venture?… (more)
Member:SharleneMartinMoore
Title:Desperate Duchesses
Authors:Eloisa James (Author)
Info:Avon (2007), Edition: 1st Avon Bks Ppbk Print., June 2007, 400 pages
Rating:*****

Desperate Duchesses by Eloisa James (Author)

This is a story of a young lady who grows up in an impossibly 'irregular' home with no rules. She wants to change her circumstance, spies a certain someone and decides he is the one for her. She decides she will somehow get him.
Now this in itself would be enough to turn me away. Its not insta love, insta infatuation even. Just insta scheming.
She ingratiates herself into a house where there is no morality. Every is/was sleeping with everybody.
There are no rules per se and anything is OK as long as the appearance of propriety is followed.
Then there is everyone's mind-numbing obsession with Chess. Long matches, matches, bets over chess, books on chess, an excellent chess player being an excellent duelist. What is even happening.
With all this as the background, the herione somehow manages to get herself engaged to the object of her obsession, all the while flirting with someone else.
This book was first and foremost completely lacking any character that had even a small amount of morals.
To make matters worse, it was actually quite boring due to all the chess.

I am a big fan of Julia Quinn and she had recommended this highly in her social media pages. Goes without saying that I would read any of Julia Quinn's books but probably stay away from her recommendations. ( )
  deepatarak | Jun 29, 2021 |
I am not quite sure what to make of my first Eloisa James book. The Desperate Duchess seemed to be more a bedroom farce than a historical romance. Set in Georgian England, the oversexed characters romp and posture through the book as the author introduces a number of characters in this, the first book of the Desperate Duchesses series. At times I felt there were too many characters to keep track of and that the main story, that of Roberta and Damon, seemed almost secondary.

I found this book to have an abundance of humor and sex scenes but was rather lacking in old-fashioned romance. The main couple were not exactly star-crossed but instead, where the male half of the couple was very sure of what he wanted while the female needed to grow up and discover what love and marriage was really all about. In the end though I decided I quite enjoyed this colorful and dramatic story and I will probably try at least one more in this series as I am curious as to which couple the author will feature next. ( )
  DeltaQueen50 | Feb 25, 2021 |
I think this one suffers a little from first book-itis. So much time is spent on supporting characters because they'll be the protagonists of future books that we lose out a bit on Roberta and Damon's romance. That said, I think James did a good job on the characterizations of each of the characters whose perspectives we get to see, and I liked each of them.

I really liked Damon and Teddy and enjoyed seeing Roberta unwittingly become a stepmother. There could have been less talk about chess (though, of course, this is coming from someone who knows next to nothing about said game). ( )
  littlebookjockey | Sep 15, 2020 |
I wish this had been billed more as a series setup than a proper romance novel. I feel like I barely saw the main couple among all the intrigue, secret plotting, and different points of view. It felt like the author really wanted to write about Jemma and her husband, but ended up biting off more than she could chew. I'll probably try the next one in the series anyway, just so all that setup doesn't go to waste. ( )
  AnnaWaffles | Aug 28, 2020 |
As promised, full review on my blog, I'm Here For the Romance. I think I got most of my squeeing out during the discussion. ( )
  EliseLaForge | Nov 20, 2018 |

James, EloisaAuthorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Landor, RosalynNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Belongs to Series

Knowing precisely why no one wants to marry you is slim consolation for the truth of it.

GenreThing

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 160,282,092 books! | Top bar: Always visible