Where'd You Go, Bernadette: A Novel by Maria…

Where'd You Go, Bernadette: A Novel (original 2012; edition 2013)

by Maria Semple (Author)

Bernadette Fox is notorious. To her Microsoft-guru husband, she's a fearlessly opinionated partner; to fellow private-school mothers in Seattle, she's a disgrace; to design mavens, she's a revolutionary architect, and to 15-year-old Bee, she is a best friend and, simply, Mom. Then Bernadette disappears. It began when Bee aced her report card and claimed her promised reward: a family trip to Antarctica. But Bernadette's intensifying allergy to Seattle--and people in general--has made her so agoraphobic that a virtual assistant in India now runs her most basic errands. A trip to the end of the earth is problematic. To find her mother, Bee compiles email messages, official documents, secret correspondence--creating a compulsively readable and touching novel about misplaced genius and a mother and daughter's role in an absurd world.… (more)
Member:OHanlon2008
Title:Where'd You Go, Bernadette: A Novel
Authors:Maria Semple (Author)
Info:Back Bay Books (2013), Edition: Reprint, 352 pages

Work Information

Where'd You Go, Bernadette by Maria Semple (2012)

Tell the Wolves I'm Home by Carol Rifka Brunt (LBV123)
    LBV123: Rifka Brunt's novel similarly traces a complicated family history and the story of a complicated mother with artistic tendencies, and features an interesting and complicated teenaged narrator. While not as openly chasing the laughs as Semple's novel, Tell the Wolves is nonetheless humorous in its depiction of family politics--and deeply touching as it deals with both love and loss.… (more)
    Microserfs by Douglas Coupland (cransell)
    cransell: Two fictional looks at working at Microsoft.
    The Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie by Alan Bradley (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: Though Sweetness is more of a traditional mystery, it shares with Where'd You Go, Bernadette an endearing, precocious, and entertaining young narrator who pieces together clues from the adult world to solve a mystery. Character interactions are delightfully, humorously depicted.… (more)
    This Book Will Save Your Life by A. M. Homes (lizchris)
    lizchris: About the madness of west coast America
    Young Jane Young by Gabrielle Zevin (kathleen.morrow)
    kathleen.morrow: Similar sharp, witty style of writing
    Wild: From Lost to Found on the Pacific Crest Trail by Cheryl Strayed (sturlington)
    Class Mom by Laurie Gelman (drm19)
    drm19: Both are witty and irreverent explorations of competitive motherhood that propel the story forward with emails and narrative.
    Lessons in Chemistry by Bonnie Garmus (bibliovermis)
    The Rosie Project by Graeme Simsion (Alliebadger)
    Alliebadger: Each of these are smart, fast reads that make you read between the lines to find the humor. Great books!
    Instructions for a Heatwave by Maggie O'Farrell (kiwiflowa)
    Come, Thou Tortoise by Jessica Grant (JenMDB)
    The Family Fang by Kevin Wilson (cransell)
    cransell: Both quirky, humorous reads.
    Special Topics in Calamity Physics by Marisha Pessl (lycomayflower)
    Skipping Christmas by John Grisham (kqueue)
    kqueue: Both have a madcap feel where one situation leads to another and spirals out of control.

English (513)  Danish (1)  French (1)  German (1)  Spanish (1)  All languages (517)
Oh, oh, this was so close to getting one of my coveted hearts! Still 4 stars, but really such an oh-so-clever and very humorous book!

The format is non-traditional. Bernadette's daughter, Bee, is the narrator, but most of the tale is told through emails, memos, and other forms of documentation. Bee's family is well off, and she attends private school - - and I'm not quite sure if you have to have a child in private school to appreciate truly how funny this book is . . .but it didn't hurt. It really does skewer the whole culture of wealth and the atmosphere that surrounds these schools to some degree. Definitely one of the funnier novels I've read.

The book has tremendous momentum. Until the end. I don't really want to say much about the plot because part of the beauty of the book is the way it is slowly revealed . . .but unfortunately, I found that as the book progressed, you had to really suspend disbelief more and more and more . . .and the final couple of chapters just kinda were a bit over the top and not nearly as compelling as the lead up.

It's one of those books that I REALLY enjoyed reading while I was reading it, but where I probably won't be recommending it left and right.

p.s. for those of you who like audio books, I don't think this would translate well at all to that format. ( )
  Anita_Pomerantz | Mar 23, 2023 |
2.5 stars. Kind of funny in spots. ( )
  CarolHicksCase | Mar 12, 2023 |
THIS WAS SO MUCH FUN. ( )
  whakaora | Mar 5, 2023 |
In spite of its best seller status, I found the format awkward. While the story is fun, the choppiness created by the back and forth letters and emails, was in my opinion, unpleasant. Having recently finished Fredrik Backman's, "My Grandmother Asked me to say she's sorry" this story paled in comparison. A fan of well executed humor, it was more subdued than I prefer and at times, somewhat lame. Characters were mediocre, pace was fine, plot nothing special. "And that's all I have to say about that..." ~ Forrest Gump ( )
  Jonathan5 | Feb 20, 2023 |
it was pretty funny, though I didn't care much when Bee started being the narrator and I didn't think Antarctica was all that interesting. ( )
  Summer345456 | Jan 25, 2023 |
The book stumbles a bit in the middle as it transitions from a scathing anti-Seattle manifesto into a family drama with comic undertones. But once the gears have finished their grinding and the shuddering subsides, Semple eases into her strongest work yet, allowing her characters to change in a way that suits the story, and not just shooting for an easy punch line or a sharply worded barb. In the end, with its big heart set on acceptance, Bernadette feels something like coming home.
added by Nickelini | editthe Stranger, Paul Constant (Aug 12, 2012)

The tightly constructed “Where’d You Go, Bernadette” is written in many formats — e-mails, letters, F.B.I. documents, correspondence with a psychiatrist and even an emergency-room bill for a run-in between Bernadette and Audrey. Yet these pieces are strung together so wittily that Ms. Semple’s storytelling is always front and center, in sharp focus. You could stop and pay attention to how apt each new format is, how rarely she repeats herself and how imaginatively she unveils every bit of information. But you would have to stop laughing first.
added by ozzer | editNY Times, Janet Maslin (Aug 6, 2012)

Semple is a TV comedy writer, and the pleasures of Where'd You Go, Bernadette are the pleasures of the best American TV: plot, wit and heart. (There are places where Semple really wants to be writing dialogue, and stretches the epistolary conceit of the novel to suit.) It's rather refreshing to find a female misunderstood genius at the heart of a book, and a mother-daughter relationship characterised by unadulterated mutual affection. If Bernadette is a monster of ego, Semple suggests, so are most people, when they're being honest. In her spiky but essentially feelgood universe, failure and self-exposure open up a rich seam of comedy, but shame can always be vanquished by love

Semple, Mariaprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Leiva Morales, ÁngelesTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wilhoite, KathleenNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Xie, JingwenTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Poppy Meyer
Monday, November 15: Galer Street School is a place where compassion, academics, and global connectitude join together to create civic-minded citizens of a sustainable and diverse planet.
The first annoying thing is when I ask Dad what he thinks happened to Mom, he always says, "What's most important is for you to understand it's not your fault."
“Shh! She said. The waiter. He's about to take their order. She leaned back and to her left, closer,closer,closer,her body like a giraffe's neck, until her chair shot out from under her and she landed on the floor. The whole restaurant turned to look. I jumped up to help. She stood up, righted the chair, and started in again. Did you see the tattoo one of them has on the inside of his arm? It looked like a roll of tape.

I took a gulp of margarita and settled into my fallback option, which was to wait her out.

Know what one of the guys at the drive-through Starbucks has on his forearm? Bernadette said. A paper clip! It used to be so daring to get a tattoo. And now people are tattooing office supplies on their bodies. You know what I say? Of course this was rhetorical. I say, dare not to get a tattoo. She turned around again, and gasped. Oh My God. It's not just any roll of tape. It's literally Scotch tape, with the green-and-black plaid. This is too hilarious. If you're going to tattoo tape on your arm, at least make it a generic old-fashioned tape dispenser! What do you think happened? Did the Staples catalogue get delivered to the tattoo parlor that day?”
― Maria Semple, Where'd You Go, Bernadette
Our house is old. All day and night it cracks and groans, like it's trying to get comfortable but can't
Chihulys are the pigeons of Seattle. They're everywhere, and even if they don't get in your way, you can't help but build up a kind of antipathy toward them.
Like sick animals, everyone else had retreated into their warrens of misery.
Right before it shut, I caught a glimpse of the poor Japanese people. Nobody had moved. Some hands were frozen in midair, in the middle of doing a fold. It looked like a wax museum diorama of an origami presentation.

When Bee aces her report card she claims her reward, which is a trip to Antarctica, but her mother, Bernadette, disappears due to her intensifying allergy to Seattle and people in general, which has made her so agoraphobic that a virtual assistant in India now runs her most basic errands and Bee uses emails, invoices, school memos, private correspondence, and other evidence to try and understand why her mother has left.

Maria Semple is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 185,348,810 books! | Top bar: Always visible