The Lost Wife by Alyson Richman

The Lost Wife (original 2011; edition 2011)

by Alyson Richman (Author)

During the last moments of calm in prewar Prague, Lenka, a young art student, and Josef, who is studying medicine, fall in love. With the promise of a better future, they marry--only to have their dreams shattered by the imminent Nazi invasion. Like so many others, they are torn apart by the currents of war.… (more)
Member:karenluetkenhaus
Title:The Lost Wife
Authors:Alyson Richman (Author)
Info:Berkley (2011), Edition: Original, 368 pages

Work Information

The Lost Wife by Alyson Richman (2011)

English (51)  French (1)  German (1)  All languages (53)
Reading a Historical Fiction book that centers around WWII with the.main characters being Jewish, one knows it will be a difficult read. The Jewish family in this book were from the Chech. Republic. As heartbreaking as the chapters centered in the camp so was the story of the young lovers who believed each was dead.

Lovely bittersweet read ( )
  Gingersnap000 | Mar 19, 2023 |
Because I have visited Prague as well as the Terezin concentration camp, this novel resonated with me. I have seen some of the children’s art that was created in Terezin that hang on the walls there now.
This novel has a lot of historical detail that I really appreciated. For me, the love story was secondary and not the best part of this novel as it was somewhat fanciful. But Lenka and Josef in themselves are strong characters.This is another holocaust novel that shows the truth of the concentration camps and the courage of the Jewish people who lived in this horror. Therefore, the novel is important . ( )
  Smits | Feb 7, 2023 |
A sad, beautiful story. ( )
  dmurfgal | Dec 9, 2022 |
Very well-written, with a narrative that holds your attention throughout. We are all too familiar with the horrors and sorrows of the holocaust, but just as every individual who suffered there has a story, there is always room for another unique view of those events and their effect on those who lost so much. ( )
  mattorsara | Aug 11, 2022 |
The Lost Wife is just like The Velvet Hours a superb novel by Alyson Richman. Books like this are I think the hardest to review because I still feel elated when I remember how good the book is, in a sad and tragic way. Just read it! ( )
  MaraBlaise | Jul 23, 2022 |

Alyson Richmanprimary authorall editionscalculated
Guidall, GeorgeNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Toren, SuzanneNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
I am my beloved and my beloved is mine.  SONG OF SOLOMON 6:3
To Charlotte, Zachary, Stephen, and my parents with love.  With special thanks to the book revue.
He dressed deliberately for the occasion, his suit pressed and his shoes shined.
"One doesn't abandon family. One doesn't leave them, even in the name of love" p.100
"To those who believe the dead do not visit them, I say you have cataracts in your soul" p.277

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 185,242,121 books! | Top bar: Always visible