The Body: Being Light in Darkness

by Charles Colson

A newly released special edition of the life-changing classic from Charles Colson.Once every generation, a book comes along that defines debate, shapes attitudes, and changes society. The Body is such a book.Because its message is so powerful and timeless, The Body -- winner of the 1993 Templeton Prize for Progress in Religion and the ECPA Gold Medallion as Book of the Year -- is now presented in a special edition-version that includes a fresh new introduction by the authors and the comprehensive study guide.In this watershed book, Colson pulls no punches: The church is in an identity crisis. He dares Christians to renounce the petty, sectarian divisions that blunt the church's witness in the world and calls us to affirm our oneness even as we celebrate our diversity.Provocative and insightful, The Body will inspire discussion and debate for years to come -- and it just might be God's tool to challenge His people to return to the glorious, holy vision for which He created the church.… (more)

A well written critique of the evangelical church in America today. Harsh where necessary but always in a loving tone, Colson and Vaughn have both pinpointed where the church has failed by not doing her job but also what we collectively can do to "be light in the darkness". (Amazon)
  StPLCLibrary | Jan 18, 2015 |
The Church--the body of God's people--has little to do with slick marketing or fancy facilities. It has everything to do with the people and the Spirit of God in their midst
  kijabi1 | Jan 2, 2012 |
A commentary on the state of the Christian Church, known as the body of Christ, in the latter years of the 20th Century, but certainly applicable to the present day. In a familiar format, Chuck Colson with Ellen Santilli Vaughn juxtapose their insights with illustrative stories that were happening in real time around the world. Colson feels that the church is not doing a good job of defending the truth in the "great cosmic struggle for the hearts and minds and souls of men and women." Even many Christians, influenced by the surrounding culture, no longer hold to moral absolutes. He also speaks of being salt and light in whatever vocation or circumstance we may find ourselves. We can influence culture best by living our principles out in the neighborhood and workplace. "Who are the preachers of America in the late twentieth cnetury, " he asks. "Each of us, as we infiltrate the arena in which God has placed us." Very well written. ( )
  seoulful | Oct 13, 2009 |

Charles Colsonprimary authorall editionscalculated
Vaughn, Eleen Santillisecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Soli Deo gloria

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 159,236,501 books! | Top bar: Always visible