A Walk Across the Sun

by Corban Addison

5163836,393 (4)30
When a tsunami rages through their coastal town in India, 17-year-old Ahalya Ghai and her 15-year-old sister Sita are left orphaned and homeless. As they struggle to reach the safe haven of the convent where they attend school, they are abducted by human traffickers and thrust into a hidden world of sexual violence and illicit commerce, where the most valuable prize is the innocence of a child. Halfway across the world, in Washington, D.C., attorney Thomas Clarke faces his own personal and professional crises. Haunted by the tragic death of his infant daughter and estranged from his wife, he makes the fateful decision to pursue a pro bono sabbatical in India with an NGO that prosecutes the subcontinent's human traffickers. In Mumbai, his conscience awakens as he sees firsthand the horrors of the sex trade and the corrupt judicial system that fosters it. When he learns the fate of Ahalya and Sita, Clarke makes it his personal mission to rescue them, setting the stage for a deadly showdown with an international network of ruthless criminals. Spanning three continents and two cultures, this story chronicles an unforgettable journey through the underworld of modern slavery and into the darkest and most resilient corners of the human heart.… (more)
    The Garden of Burning Sand by Corban Addison (TracyCampbell)
    Hearts and Minds by Amanda Craig (bergs47)
    Beautiful Thing: Inside the Secret World of Bombay's Dance Bars by Sonia Faleiro (kraaivrouw)
    kraaivrouw: Different sides of a similar world.
    Sold by Patricia McCormick (bookwoman247)
    bookwoman247: Both books explore the same theme - sex trafficking of teens in Southeast Asia.

English (37)  Dutch (1)  All languages (38)
I really don't know how to describe this book. The book felt so real to me. I am an Indian and felt so much for the girls in this book. I was practically crying at the end.

It just makes me cherish my childhood memories more and count my blessings. ( )
  jasminesandbooks | Sep 29, 2020 |
This book is about human trafficking in India, Europe, and the US, not exactly an uplifting topic. The cover made me pick it up, but what drew me to the book was that the heroines are from a place in India that I've been: Madras/Chennai. The author's descriptions brought back the culture, colors, sounds, and smells of India. The book starts with the 2004 tsunami and everyone in the family is killed except the two sisters. The girls try to make their way to their school in Madras, but the help they find along the way is not so helpful. The girls end up being sold to a brothel in Bombay. Enter the American lawyer who takes a sabbatical with a nonprofit group in Bombay that fights human trafficking.

The plight of the girls, and the other girls they meet along their journey, is so sad, especially the ease with which it happened to them. That it could happen to anyone. The crazy amounts of money involved and the fact that people are willing to pay that much for one night with an under-aged girl is unthinkable. Because of all that money women and girls are moved around the world, probably right in front of our eyes and we don't even know it. I don't think many people realize how big this problem is, and for those that do, it seems overwhelming. For every girl rescued, many more take her place.

The book is not graphic and has a satisfying ending. The author's writing style is easy to read and even his lawyer-ese was understandable. I devoured it about 50 pages at a time. ( )
  sailorfigment | Apr 27, 2020 |
Heartbreaking and heartwarming at the same time
Brilliant characters and a believable plot ( )
  karenshann | Dec 31, 2019 |
Cliche ridden and incredibly condescending. Addison should be ashamed for writing this book to appease the sensibilities of marginally religious upper class American women in their own sense of safety and superiority. It's vile.

“Traffickers will stop when men stop buying women.”

Seriously? This is just insulting. You have the nerve to think that your simplistic quip is the answer to something that people have revered and reviled since antiquity?

Enjoy your windmills, Don. ( )
  authenticjoy | Mar 29, 2019 |
I could not put this one down! Suspense built around a true madness that exists in this world. No horrific details are shared about the abuse, so I could read it.
Something we should all become aware of...great fiction with a mission to bring light to the horrors of child sex trafficking. ( )
  SusanGeiss | Mar 24, 2019 |
The sea was quiet at first light on the morning their world fell apart.
Thomas said[,] "The problem just seems overwhelming."
Rachel nodded. "Someone once asked Mother Teresa how she dealt with world poverty. Do you know what she said? 'You do the thing that's in front of you.' That applies here, too. The academics talk about statistics. We tell stories. Which is more compelling?"

When a tsunami rages through their coastal town in India, 17-year-old Ahalya Ghai and her 15-year-old sister Sita are left orphaned and homeless. With almost everyone they know suddenly erased from the face of the earth, the girls set out for the convent where they attend school. They are abducted almost immediately and sold to a Mumbai brothel owner, beginning a hellish descent into the bowels of the sex trade.

Halfway across the world, Washington, D.C., attorney Thomas Clarke faces his own personal and professional crisis-and makes the fateful decision to pursue a pro bono sabbatical working in India for an NGO that prosecutes the subcontinent's human traffickers. There, his conscience awakens as he sees firsthand the horrors of the trade in human flesh, and the corrupt judicial system that fosters it. Learning of the fate of Ahalya and Sita, Clarke makes it his personal mission to rescue them, setting the stage for a riveting showdown with an international network of ruthless criminals.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 163,146,471 books! | Top bar: Always visible