Sophie & Carter by Chelsea Fine

Sophie & Carter (edition 2012)

by Chelsea Fine

"While other high school seniors are dreaming about their futures, Sophie and Carter are just trying to make it through each day. Carter is overwhelmed by troubles at home as he struggles to support his mother. Meanwhile, next door neighbor Sophie is left to care for her three younger siblings in place of their absent and troubled mother. All that holds these two best friends together is each other, and knowing that each night they'll sit together on Sophie's front porch swing and escape from their troubles, if just for awhile. But as their relationship reaches a turning point and high school graduation nears, what lies ahead for Sophie and Carter?"--P. [4] of cover.… (more)
Member:Sugarpeach
Title:Sophie & Carter
Authors:Chelsea Fine
Info:Firefall Publishing (2012), Paperback, 156 pages

Work Information

Sophie & Carter by Chelsea Fine

“Wow!!!” That’s all I can say about this book. The author Chelsea Fine has done a remarkable job with the characters Sophie & Carter. You can’t help but feel an immense amount of love and compassion for them. They overcome some many problems that are thrown their way. I cannot imagine going through the things they go through on a daily basis. You can’t help but want a happy ending for them. They pretend to not know each other at school when in reality these neighbors are best friends. There are heartbreaking moments in this story that add to the fact that these situations do happen. Anyway, I think this is a must read. If anything just to see how these teenagers deal with their problems and what happens between Sophie and Carter. ( )
  BookishThings | Mar 23, 2016 |
Wow. This book was amazing. It’s full of hope, understanding and well, of course—love. The protagonists were really awesome. I got all teary-eyed in reading this. There’s something about them that makes me believe that we can go through all the struggles in life if we have someone to help us go through them. Someone who completes us and makes us whole.

Love.
Not the kind you see in the movies or hear about on the
radio.
The real kind.
The kind that gets beaten down and bloody, yet
perseveres.
The kind that hopes even when hope seems foolish.
The kind that forgives. The kind that believes in healing.
The kind that can sit in silence and feel renewed.
The real kind of love.
It’s rare and we have it.

I really loved the story. It's so touching and I can't just explain it right.. :) ( )
  margaraawr | Aug 8, 2014 |

Love.
Not the kind you see in the movies or hear about on the
radio.
The real kind.
The kind that gets beaten down and bloody, yet
perseveres.
The kind that hopes even when hope seems foolish.
The kind that forgives. The kind that believes in healing.
The kind that can sit in silence and feel renewed.
The real kind of love.
It’s rare and we have it.

margaraawr | Aug 8, 2014 |
Read the full Review at Witchmag's Boekenplank

Okay, that’s one really short story! So short it’s impossible for me to write a short summary of the beginning without major spoilers. So I decided to not write one ;) . Besides, the most important things are already said in the blurb.

First of all I won this book on Goodreads and was very surprised to open my mail and look at a real small and thin book. My first reaction was: Is this all? The blurb sounded very interesting when I applied for the giveaway, but can everything be told in so few pages? Not that I’m unhappy to win something, but I just expected more. And I don’t have something against short stories, some of my favorite stories are even shorter, but after reading it, I think it could use some more content. I got the feeling the story already ended in the beginning, way too soon.

Because it was so short I got the feeling that I only saw two days in the daily life of Sophie and Carter. First the situation is explained and then the past is brought up to explain everything. Oh and they confess their love. That’s it. That’s what happens in a nutshell. So basically nothing interesting happens. And although some of the things are terrible it doesn’t move me at all. Me, the one who usually is the first one to grab a tissue or thinks something is cute…

There are two different kinds of fonts used in this book to make it easier to know who’s speaking. That’s quite handy, some books I’ve read could have definitely used something like that! But the problem was with Sophie’s font. I didn’t like it. I hated to read it. That’s what also made me like the story less. Oh and the way they speak about love *rolls eyes*. No problem if they like each other, but to proclaim every page how good and great the other is, was a little too much.

Overall rating 2 hearts. The story didn’t captivate or move me at all. The characters stayed shallow to me, with no dept in them. They didn’t grow, they just “were”.The only reason I finished this one was because I wanted to know how it ended, and even that didn’t satisfied me or made my time worthwhile. ( )
  Iris-Boekenplank | Nov 10, 2013 |
Sophie and Carter is a very simple, short story. It is about a boy and girl who both come from troubled family backgrounds. They’ve suffered abuse in the past, whether it’s emotional or physical, and each day is still a struggle for them. Both of them are best friends and they both look forward to each night when they would sit on the porch swing and share each other’s company.

I liked the way the chapters alternates between Sophie and Carter’s point of views. Both of them have their own fonts, so it’s easy to remember and distinguish whose point of view you’re reading. Also, it’s quite obvious which is a male and which is a female point of view. For example:

Sophie: I’ve got five hours until everyone’s in bed… until I have a minute to think… until I can connect with the only person who really knows me. Carter. (p. 18)

Carter: I stretch my neck and start walking to the living room. Just a few more hours until I can relax. (p. 24)

Of course, you can easily guess which point of view belongs to who because only a girl would count the hours! Guys aren’t as detailed as girls are, after all. Sometimes, their narrations would overlap for certain events. Other times, it wouldn’t. The overlapping narrations were good because we can understand where both of them are coming from.

There are just a couple of things that nagged at the bookworm inside of me. The story lacked depth. There were many issues that weren’t explored in a deeper level. In fact, few issues were explored at a deeper level, besides the ones connected with their individual pasts. Another thing is the repetition of certain actions or phrases. Sophie used the “I love his/her guts!” way too many times. If I were to read the book aloud, that phrase would sound pretty awkward and unnecessary. Carter stretches his neck way too many times. I don’t know if that’s a bad habit he has or what, but it was too repetitive in the story.

Nevertheless, despite the slight oddities mentioned, the story is captivating. It can be read in under an hour and the story isn’t really complicated despite the darker themes, but its simplicity is the drawing point. It doesn’t go too much into technicalities. There’s always something going on in the story. Whether it’s family problems, bad past, jealousy, plans for the future, or other issues.

After I finished reading the book, I promptly reread it. Nowadays, it’s harder to find secular Young Adult books that are clean. I was happy that this book is a clean read. It’s definitely one of its plus points. Another plus point would be the issues touch upon in this book. Sophie and Carter are teenagers with adult problems. They are forced to grow up and take more responsibility than they should be having at their age. Despite all their problems and no matter how bleak their future seem to be, they find hope in each other. They encourage each other in their own little ways. Their friendship and relationship is just so sweet! There is a touch of innocence in it with could be incongruous (but isn’t) due to what they’ve went through.

Conclusion: I was surprised to read that Sophie & Carter is the author’s debut book. While there could be improvements, the storyline is good and the writing, for the most part, varied and interesting.

Disclosure of Material Connection: I received this book free from the author through the Review the Book book review program. I was not required to write a positive review. The opinions I have expressed are my own. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255: “Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising.” ( )
  Sugarpeach | Jun 20, 2013 |
I'm late for English.
"I love her guts."
"I love his guts anyway."
"The littles"

While other high school seniors are dreaming about their futures, Sophie and Carter are just trying to make it through each day. Carter is overwhelmed by issues at home as he struggles to support his mother. Meanwhile, next door neighbor Sophie is left to care for her three younger siblings in place of their absent and troubled mother. All that holds these two best friends together is each other, and knowing that each night they'll sit together on Sophie's front porch swing and escape from reality, if just for awhile. But as their relationship reaches a turning point and high school graduation nears, will their friendship become something more?

Chelsea Fine is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 180,084,810 books! | Top bar: Always visible