The War of the Worlds (1898)

by H. G. Wells

As life on Mars becomes impossible, Martians and their terrifying machines invade the earth.
1890s (28)

English (254)  French (5)  Danish (4)  Spanish (4)  Dutch (3)  Italian (1)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  All languages (272)
Martians, England, and heat-rays. ( )
  JosephKingman | Jul 17, 2021 |
Nel coglier il senso di terrore che giunge a sopraffare i protagonisti di questo romanzo, talora dimentichiamo di vedere, oltre l'ombra dellinvasione marziana a scapito di popolazioni inermi, le tante conquiste coloniali, gli atti disumani, la distruzione di intere civiltà e culture portate avanti per pura sete di potere e denaro. Ma è Wells stesso che, in più di un'occasione, attraverso sapie ti rimandi, provvede ad aprirci gli occhi e a far trasparire le nostre stesse colpe negli stessi atti che, leggendo, ci vediamo condannare. ( )
  Carlomascellani73 | May 30, 2021 |
Better than his Invisible Man, but not as good as his Time Machine (which still rates as one of my top Sci Fi stories).

Here the earth is invaded by Martians, and we hear the tale from the point of view of one survivor. I thought the end was good, and made sense from a scientific point of view (though a few other details were a little bit more difficult to accept). Tedious in some places, but overall worth reading, as it was such an influential contribution to the genre, and is quite good in places. ( )
1 vote P_S_Patrick | May 14, 2021 |
Reading this within its historical context of the time it was written, I found it interesting. Reading it solely as a novel, ignoring the historical context, I got bored and I found the ending something of an anti-climax.

The historical context is interesting; the exploration of ethics and morals, religion, of imperialism, science, space, Mars and alien life. Interesting within the history of its time and its author but I won't rush to read more H G Wells. ( )
  ArdizzoneFan | Mar 25, 2021 |
This was entertaining, though I wouldn't say brilliant, obviously ground breaking at the time. The narrator of the story wasn't as much a hero as an observer who was occasionally brave. Wells does a great job of instilling dread in the reader (definitely would have been even better if I didn't know how it ended) and I really like the philosophy of how the human race was to survive and eventually overcome the alien menace over time. I always remember it was "Chicken Pox" that did the aliens in, but I didn't hear that virus specifically mentioned in the book, so I guess that was just something they added to one of the movies. ( )
  ragwaine | Feb 21, 2021 |
Mr. Wells's dramatic power is of the strongest, and through "The War of the Worlds" deals with death, destruction, and ruin, he has known how to manage a terrible topic in a clever and ingenuous way.

Wells, H. G.primary authorall editionsconfirmed

Is abridged in

Is parodied in

Is replied to in

Inspired

Has as a reference guide/companion

Has as a study

But who shall dwell in these worlds if they be inhabited? ... Are we or they Lords of the World? ... And how are all things made for man?-- KEPLER (quoted in The Anatomy of Melancholy)
TO
MY BROTHER
FRANK WELLS
THIS RENDERING
OF HIS IDEA
No one would have believed in the last years of the nineteenth century that this world was being watched keenly and closely by intelligences greater than man's and yet as mortal as his own; that as men busied themselves about their various concerns they were scrutinised and studied, perhaps almost as narrowly as a man with a microscope might scrutinise the transient creatures that swarm and multiply in a drop of water.
This is the main work for The War of the Worlds by H. G. Wells. Please do not combine with any abridgements, adaptations, annotated editions, etc.
ISBN 1402552459 is an unabridged audio version of the novel

Mars attacks England.
Earth's defenses are no match,
But-- ah, ah, ACHOO!
(MJMunn)

4 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0141441038, 0451530659, 0141045418, 0141199040

NYRB Classics

An edition of this book was published by NYRB Classics.

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 160,520,044 books! | Top bar: Always visible