One for the Road by Lynne Marshall

One for the Road

by Lynne Marshall

197537,190 (4.43)None

What a refreshing change. The main characters are middle aged and don’t look like models. This offbeat love story about a widow and a one hit wonder country singer was full of humor, a slow to build romance and even some suspense with the quirky band members round up this entertaining read.

D’Anne Palmer was left a widow in Tennessee with nothing but the fancy RV they had been traveling in. It 6 months later and she needs to find a way to get money so she can get back to California where her adult kids live. She puts an ad out to be a cook and driver to anyone who wants to rent the RV.

Tyler White has seen better days, both in his singing career and his body. He and his band are hoping to get back in the spotlight by touring several states doing local shows but they don’t have money or transportation. So when he sees Dee’s ad he jumps at the opportunity promising to pay her after each show.

During the weeks on the road the author give us everything from comedy – the other guys in the band are all middle aged to with the exception of the drummer and she shows it like it is from gas, to bad comb over’s to high blood pressure that causes erectile dysfunction. We also get to watch two people that couldn’t be more different and who came from totally different worlds slowly fall in love. Tyler wrote many new songs on the road either about Dee or about something she said. There is also a side mystery/suspense story line during the middle of this that has to do with her deceased husband.

I really enjoyed this book and wish more authors would write more 40 something romance books.
  CindySnS | Oct 26, 2016 |
One for the Road by Lynne Marshsall
Entered the contest so I could maybe win a copy. The story line sounds right up my alley as hubby and I have talked about touring the US in an RV or similar down the road in several years.
This will help prepare me for what we can expect-I won the contest. One thing puzzles me because being blind I don't drive so if something happens to hubby who will I get to drive the vehicle-similar to the storyline in this book.
Looking forward to the break in reading where most of the women are in their late teens or young adult stage. This one is about one who's over 40 with that stage of problems.
Book starts out with D'Anne Palmer and she's stranded in Nashville, TN after her husband has passed away. All she has left is the RV and no income to make it back to CA where her sons are. She gets an idea to rent out the RV and she goes with it as the driver. She makes a list of rules...
Lots of mysteries surround the RV and missing money as she agrees to take Tyler and the other band members to locations where they have gigs over the next several weeks. She had not seen the breakin's coming... Sections of the chapters are from Tyler's point of view making the story more interesting as he's also discovering things about her and the things he finds-so many secrets... Lots of twists and turns as the mystery is solved...
What I really liked about this book is 1. it takes me places I've yet to travel to, experience for myself, 2. bit of romance and sex and 3. learning new things-especially about the recording and music industry.
All around good read! Will be looking for more by this author.
I won this book from the author and will review it using my honest review. ( )
  jbarr5 | Apr 19, 2016 |
4.5 stars. With all that's left of her husband now ashes in a canister, broke except for her fancy RV, and stuck in Nashville, an entire continent across from her adult children, D'Anne makes use of the only asset she has left. She rents her RV - and her own services as driver and cook - to a former one-hit country wonder trying to make a comeback, his three bandmates, and his dog, Dexter. They've got gigs across the country, ending in Las Vegas, which is close enough to Los Angeles that D'Anne's sons can meet her there.

40-ish Tyler's not without talent, but it's been a very long time since he's had a hit song. His bandmates are... the usual motley crew: a young, hot drummer, a married bass player with an eye for the ladies, and a big Bear of a man who might be halfway attractive if he'd learn to keep his teeth in. Somewhat prissy D'Anne desperately needs the money, but she has Standards: no smoking in the RV, no drunks, and no sex, among others. She also considers herself much too old(45) to be of interest to someone like Tyler, who's got young AND uhm, MATURE women hanging off him at every gig.

I really liked this unusual story, though I sometimes wanted to pop D'Anne one everytime she went off internally about being old. Tyler was a perfect hero, though I personally can't stand country music and the thought of attending gig after gig and hearing that TWANGY sound as they practiced inside the RV en route to gigs makes my toes curl, and not in a good way. There's a subplot about money D'Anne's husband may have left for her, after all - and bad guys trying to find it, that added a little spice and danger.

While there weren't noticeable typos, on my Kindle version there
were occasional paragraph
and line breaks where they didn't belong, which was
something of a distraction, especially when they occurred in the middle of dialogue. (kind of like this)

Kudos on the use of condoms in the sex scenes; important for men and women of all ages. It's really a lovely romance about reinventing/rediscovering oneself at midlife, and that nobody's too old for love. ( )
  writerbeverly | May 1, 2014 |
Huh. Spoilers about. Free on kindle. This isn't very good. The idea is OK, but the writing isn't up to it, and it gets worse as the book goes along.
  franoscar | Dec 6, 2013 |
Lynne Marshall's Book, ONE FOR THE ROAD, sure hit home for me personally. Here's a little background about my life. I was happily married for 36 years to a wonderful truckdriver until his death in 2001. He would tell me about all the beautiful places that he saw in his travels around the United States. He always said that when he retired, we would get a RV and travel to see those places together. Alas, this didn't happen. We also loved country music, small bands, and went to many dance gigs over the years, even Club Dance on TNN, the Nashville station.
While reading, ONE FOR THE ROAD, I was transformed into the story of D'Anne Palmer, who is widowed like me. She has an RV that her husband bought before his death. She was broke and decided to rent the RV to Tyler, a "one-hit-wonder" country singer and his band members, as they journey from Nashville to Las Vegas, via Texas playing gigs and making what money they could. D'Anne became their manager and driver, which puts the two of them together facing some difficult situations. As Lynne Marshal wrote, "Can close quarters really help a has-been singer on the comeback trail and a widow with California style fine love?"
This story brought back so many memories for me and I was very infatuated with this very funny, and amazing, heartfelt story. I became a fan of Lynne Marshall's writing. My emotions were all over the place, sometimes laughing, sometimes crying, but always very emotional about the suspense throughtout the book. I will surely read more books by Lynne Marshall. ( )
  rbooth43 | Aug 8, 2013 |

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 115,178,367 books! | Top bar: Always visible