Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix…

Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (Book 5) (original 2003; edition 2003)

by J. K. Rowling (Author), Mary GrandPre (Illustrator)

79,6397225 (4.28)10 / 936
Member:CandG
Title:Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (Book 5)
Authors:J. K. Rowling (Author)
Other authors:Mary GrandPre (Illustrator)
Info:Arthur A. Levine Books (2003), Edition: 1st, 896 pages
Collections:Glenn Read, Claire Read

Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix by J. K. Rowling (Author) (2003)

Elevenses (169)

English (684)  German (10)  French (6)  Italian (5)  Spanish (5)  Dutch (4)  Swedish (3)  Latvian (1)  Korean (1)  Portuguese (1)  Danish (1)  Finnish (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  All languages (723)
This is my fave of the series! It has twists, a good plot. I love the Ministry of Magic scenes plus I simply LOVED to see the Marauders and Snape back in their young days :D ( )
  Catherine_GV | Jun 20, 2019 |
For some reason i had it in my head that, although i love everything about this book series, this book in particular was one of my least favourite Harry Potter books but after this reread i truly cannot think why.
There are so many elements of this book that i deeply love (Luna Lovegood, Dumbledore's Army, Fred and George kicking it up a notch and the Quibbler to name a few) that i'm confused as to why i wasn't more excited going in to it.

This was a fantastic read, i split my reading between the audio and the book, but despite the fact that its very long i found myself whizzing through it, desperate to read just a few more chapters every time.

I'd give this 10 stars if i could! ( )
  SaraChook | Jun 19, 2019 |
Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix assaulted my emotions more than any of the previous books. There were plenty of unfair issues to feel sympathy for in the earlier books but emotions are more quickly evoked in this book. I do hope that Harry is able to better control his anger in the next book. And Snape is such a sad example of what happens to a person when they can't let go of past grievances. Seriously, a study of Snape should be a required course senior year of high school so people can think about would sort of sad sack they might turn into if they hang onto anger and hate. I am thoroughly enjoying the different characters in this series. ( )
  Jerry.Yoakum | Jun 12, 2019 |
What's the deal with these EVIL authors killing off my favorite characters anyway? (I didn't say who, so that isn't a "spoiler"!) Great book, annoying that she killed of my favorite character though.

The film of this one was the worst axe job yet!

If Rowling kills off Tonks in future books...just so you know, she will forever be dead to me!

Oh, and by the way, I'm so glad to see the back side of Cho Chang! Annoying git! Sheesh!!

Edit: I just reread this and moved on to tHBP. Had some flu or something last weekend, low grade temp and just feeling crummy, so I nested up on the couch and spent two days watching a HP marathon. Well, the movies always make me want to read the books, because I miss things so much. I was less disturbed this time about the afore mentioned death, and less stressed about the plot twist (since I already know how it ends:), so I'm upping my rating out of sheer love. If I can read and reread a book over and over and keep enjoying it thoroughly, that's a 5 star book! ( )
  Amelia1989 | Jun 10, 2019 |
Go to Bridget Blogs Books to see my thoughts about this book. ( )
  RamblingBookNerd | Jun 5, 2019 |
The family romance is a latency-period fantasy, belonging to the drowsy years between 7 and adolescence. In ''Order of the Phoenix,'' Harry, now 15, is meant to be adolescent. He spends a lot of the book becoming excessively angry with his protectors and tormentors alike. He discovers that his late (and ''real'') father was not a perfect magical role model, but someone who went in for fits of nasty playground bullying. He also discovers that his mind is linked to the evil Lord Voldemort, thereby making him responsible in some measure for acts of violence his nemesis commits...

Ms. Rowling's magic world has no place for the numinous. It is written for people whose imaginative lives are confined to TV cartoons, and the exaggerated (more exciting, not threatening) mirror-worlds of soaps, reality TV and celebrity gossip. Its values, and everything in it, are, as Gatsby said of his own world when the light had gone out of his dream, ''only personal.'' Nobody is trying to save or destroy anything beyond Harry Potter and his friends and family.
added by SnootyBaronet | editThe New York Times, A.S. Byatt

Las tediosas vacaciones de verano en casa de sus tíos todavía no han acabado y Harry se encuentra más inquieto que nunca. Apenas ha tenido noticias de Ron y Hermione, y presiente que algo extraño está sucediendo en Hogwarts. En efecto, cuando por fin comienza otro curso en el famoso colegio de magia y hechicería, sus temores se vuelven realidad. El Ministerio de Magia niega que Voldemort haya regresado y ha iniciado una campaña de desprestigio contra Harry y Dumbledore, para lo cual ha asignado a la horrible profesora Dolores Umbridge la tarea de vigilar todos sus movimientos. Así pues, además de sentirse solo e incomprendido, Harry sospecha que Voldemort puede adivinar sus pensamientos, e intuye que el temible mago trata de apoderarse de un objeto secreto que le permitiría recuperar su poder destructivo.
added by Pakoniet | editLecturalia

Rovira Ortega, GemmaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Tóth, Tamás BoldizsárTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wilharm, SabineCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Neil, Jessica, and David,
who make my world magical.
The hottest day of the summer so far was drawing to a close and a drowsy silence lay over the large, square houses of Privet Drive.
'You two have just apparated on my knees.' - Ron Weasley

As his fifth year at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry approaches, 15-year-old Harry Potter is in full-blown adolescence, complete with regular outbursts of rage, a nearly debilitating crush, and the blooming of a powerful sense of rebellion. Harry is feeling especially edgy at the lack of news from the magic world, wondering when the freshly revived evil Lord Voldemort will strike. Returning to Hogwarts will be a relief...or will it?

AR Level 7.2, 44 pts
New teacher is a
psychopath. Don’t believe me?
Then talk to the hand!
(CathWhitney)
Evil just got a
makeover. Pink has never
been so menacing.
(CathWhitney)

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0439358078, Paperback)

As his fifth year at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry approaches, 15-year-old Harry Potter is in full-blown adolescence, complete with regular outbursts of rage, a nearly debilitating crush, and the blooming of a powerful sense of rebellion. It's been yet another infuriating and boring summer with the despicable Dursleys, this time with minimal contact from our hero's non-Muggle friends from school. Harry is feeling especially edgy at the lack of news from the magic world, wondering when the freshly revived evil Lord Voldemort will strike. Returning to Hogwarts will be a relief... or will it?

The fifth book in J.K. Rowling's Harry Potter series follows the darkest year yet for our young wizard, who finds himself knocked down a peg or three after the events of last year. Somehow, over the summer, gossip (usually traced back to the magic world's newspaper, the Daily Prophet) has turned Harry's tragic and heroic encounter with Voldemort at the Triwizard Tournament into an excuse to ridicule and discount the teen. Even Professor Dumbledore, headmaster of the school, has come under scrutiny by the Ministry of Magic, which refuses to officially acknowledge the terrifying truth that Voldemort is back. Enter a particularly loathsome new character: the toadlike and simpering ("hem, hem") Dolores Umbridge, senior undersecretary to the Minister of Magic, who takes over the vacant position of Defense Against Dark Arts teacher--and in no time manages to become the High Inquisitor of Hogwarts, as well. Life isn't getting any easier for Harry Potter. With an overwhelming course load as the fifth years prepare for their Ordinary Wizarding Levels examinations (O.W.Ls), devastating changes in the Gryffindor Quidditch team lineup, vivid dreams about long hallways and closed doors, and increasing pain in his lightning-shaped scar, Harry's resilience is sorely tested.

Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix, more than any of the four previous novels in the series, is a coming-of-age story. Harry faces the thorny transition into adulthood, when adult heroes are revealed to be fallible, and matters that seemed black-and-white suddenly come out in shades of gray. Gone is the wide-eyed innocent, the whiz kid of Sorcerer's Stone. Here we have an adolescent who's sometimes sullen, often confused (especially about girls), and always self-questioning. Confronting death again, as well as a startling prophecy, Harry ends his year at Hogwarts exhausted and pensive. Readers, on the other hand, will be energized as they enter yet again the long waiting period for the next title in the marvelous, magical series. (Ages 9 and older) --Emilie Coulter

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 17:58:37 -0400)

When the government of the magic world and authorities at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry refuse to believe in the growing threat of a freshly revived Lord Voldemort, fifteen-year-old Harry Potter finds support from his loyal friends in facing the evil wizard and other new terrors.… (more)

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,660,517 books! | Top bar: Always visible