Harry Potter and the order of the phoenix by…

Harry Potter and the order of the phoenix (original 2003; edition 2003)

by J. K. Rowling

Series: Harry Potter (5)

87,4747856 (4.28)10 / 986
When the government of the magic world and authorities at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry refuse to believe in the growing threat of a freshly revived Lord Voldemort, fifteen-year-old Harry Potter finds support from his loyal friends in facing the evil wizard and other new terrors.
Member:cottagelibrary
Title:Harry Potter and the order of the phoenix
Authors:J. K. Rowling
Info:London : Bloomsbury, 2003.
Collections:Completed

Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix by J. K. Rowling (2003)

Elevenses (177)

English (738)  German (9)  Spanish (6)  French (6)  Italian (5)  Dutch (4)  Swedish (3)  Latvian (1)  Korean (1)  Portuguese (1)  Danish (1)  Finnish (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  Catalan (1)  All languages (778)
My favorite HP book for multiple reasons, including Sirius Black, Luna Lovegood, and the combination of relateable awkward teenage emotions with realistic fear about the grand battle against evil going on. Also one of my favorite books of all time. ( )
  LimeadeIsLife | Sep 25, 2021 |
2nd review: I found myself more miffed with this tale than I remembered having been.

In some ways, this typifies the daring of Rowling. Again, her hero is far from flawless. He's biased, slightly stuck-up, suffering from PTSD, and a little lazy.

Also, having read the previous books in the series recently, I was completely baffled. Why is Harry expecting special treatment from Dumbledore? Dumbledore obviously respects Harry, trusts him, etc, but nowhere in the prior books did Dumbledore call him into his office just to chat, tell him all of his plans, or otherwise really seem to single him out. Most of their interactions in the previous book were "twinkling eyes" and winks. Granted, he is avoiding eye contact, but Harry seemed to stick up for him before. So why suddenly give it up now?

That aside, her plotting was almost flawless. Or maybe that error is part of the plot genius?

Fred and George were a delight, much more so than in the previous book when all that they did was write letters. Her thoughtful wisdom about Kreacher and his treatment is spot on, and Dumbledore (though I doubt he really did contribute as much to the unfortunate events as he seemed to feel) admitting that he was fallible was also a nice change.

Final thought: Why, for goodness' sake, did you not remember Sirius' present a little earlier Harry? Just saying.

1st review: This book could be called Harry Potter Goes Crazy. For the first time since he lived underneath the stairs I lost all patience with said kid. Worth reading? Mostly for the side characters (Snape, Neville, etc.) and the interesting flashbacks to the past. ( )
  OutOfTheBestBooks | Sep 24, 2021 |
I have read the harry Potter books many MANY times and they just get better each time. I love the world that J.K. Rowling created and the people she wrote to populate it. It feels equal parts fantastical and believable. This series is an absolute must read regardless of your age or interest in the subject material. These books are true modern classics which will definitely stand the test of time. ( )
  KateKat11 | Sep 24, 2021 |
*** Thoughts after listening***
Note to myself. Don't listen to emotional stuff grocery shopping. Silent tears freaks people out.

Well good to know that this one still engage all my emotions. Even as a grown up who knows what will happen.

p.s. I cheered when Umbridge got taken. And then I had to look around if no one was listening... *facepalm*

*** Thoughts before listening***
I remember this one being the most frustrating. Mainly because of Dolores Umbridge. I loathed her with the intensity of a thousand suns. I once read somewhere (in a review I think) that everyone hates her because everyone has met such a teacher. I suspect Rowling also had someone in mind when she was writing this.

In the movie she was excellent played by Imelda Staunton:

Such a smug expression

Also I think I liked Ginny a lot more in this book? Mainly because she was in it a lot more?

Jonesy_now | Sep 24, 2021 |
The plot picked up in the final 250 pages, but not being an avid Harry Potter fan I could have done with this book being about 500 pages shorter. ( )
  KSchellVT | Sep 13, 2021 |
The family romance is a latency-period fantasy, belonging to the drowsy years between 7 and adolescence. In ''Order of the Phoenix,'' Harry, now 15, is meant to be adolescent. He spends a lot of the book becoming excessively angry with his protectors and tormentors alike. He discovers that his late (and ''real'') father was not a perfect magical role model, but someone who went in for fits of nasty playground bullying. He also discovers that his mind is linked to the evil Lord Voldemort, thereby making him responsible in some measure for acts of violence his nemesis commits...

Ms. Rowling's magic world has no place for the numinous. It is written for people whose imaginative lives are confined to TV cartoons, and the exaggerated (more exciting, not threatening) mirror-worlds of soaps, reality TV and celebrity gossip. Its values, and everything in it, are, as Gatsby said of his own world when the light had gone out of his dream, ''only personal.'' Nobody is trying to save or destroy anything beyond Harry Potter and his friends and family.
added by SnootyBaronet | editThe New York Times, A.S. Byatt

Las tediosas vacaciones de verano en casa de sus tíos todavía no han acabado y Harry se encuentra más inquieto que nunca. Apenas ha tenido noticias de Ron y Hermione, y presiente que algo extraño está sucediendo en Hogwarts. En efecto, cuando por fin comienza otro curso en el famoso colegio de magia y hechicería, sus temores se vuelven realidad. El Ministerio de Magia niega que Voldemort haya regresado y ha iniciado una campaña de desprestigio contra Harry y Dumbledore, para lo cual ha asignado a la horrible profesora Dolores Umbridge la tarea de vigilar todos sus movimientos. Así pues, además de sentirse solo e incomprendido, Harry sospecha que Voldemort puede adivinar sus pensamientos, e intuye que el temible mago trata de apoderarse de un objeto secreto que le permitiría recuperar su poder destructivo.
added by Pakoniet | editLecturalia

Rovira Ortega, GemmaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Tóth, Tamás BoldizsárTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wilharm, SabineCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Neil, Jessica, and David,
who make my world magical.
The hottest day of the summer so far was drawing to a close and a drowsy silence lay over the large, square houses of Privet Drive.
'You two have just apparated on my knees.' - Ron Weasley

As his fifth year at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry approaches, 15-year-old Harry Potter is in full-blown adolescence, complete with regular outbursts of rage, a nearly debilitating crush, and the blooming of a powerful sense of rebellion. Harry is feeling especially edgy at the lack of news from the magic world, wondering when the freshly revived evil Lord Voldemort will strike. Returning to Hogwarts will be a relief...or will it?

AR Level 7.2, 44 pts
New teacher is a
psychopath. Don’t believe me?
Then talk to the hand!
(CathWhitney)
Evil just got a
makeover. Pink has never
been so menacing.
(CathWhitney)

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 163,214,385 books! | Top bar: Always visible