Bloodlines: Race, Cross, and the Christian…

Bloodlines: Race, Cross, and the Christian (edition 2011)

by John Piper, Timothy Keller (Foreword)

Member:Kirk1810
Title:Bloodlines: Race, Cross, and the Christian
Authors:John Piper
Other authors:Timothy Keller (Foreword)
Info:Crossway (2011), Hardcover, 304 pages
Collections:Christian Growth / Discipleship, The Church

Bloodlines: Race, Cross, and the Christian by John Piper

Piper can sometimes be accused, in my mind, of overkill on some subjects, but here I think he strikes the right balance. Nonetheless, he does give a forceful biblical basis for the benefit and necessity of Christianity being multi-ethnic, including our individual churches. Well worth the read and something every church should wrestle with. ( )
  memlhd | Jan 23, 2016 |
  memlhd | Jan 23, 2016 |
You can read my full review at Quieted Waters.

John Piper, Pastor for preaching and vision at Bethlehem Baptist church, has written a must-read book: Bloodlines: Race, Cross, and the Christian. In a sense, this is a book that has been decades in the making: Piper’s dissertation, now decades old, was on the topic of race and the Christian, and this book is a deep study of the relationship between those two. According to Pastor Piper, it is his prayer that Christians would read this book and say, “Yes, thank you for helping me see the subtlety of my own sin. I must put this to death.” The aim of this book, in Piper’s words, is “to encourage you to pursue Christ-exalting, gospel-driven racial and ethnic diversity and harmony–especially in the family of God, the church of Jesus Christ.” As I said, this is a must-read, and it is John Piper at his greatest. ( )
  QuietedWaters | May 22, 2013 |
John Piper gives us a sober, challenging read which should shake some of us out of our lethargy, when it comes to racial harmony. Piper brings up his own past, of growing up in a segregated south where the conservative Church turned a blind eye to the black man's struggle. He exposes his own racism, and labors to show how Scripture and specifically the gospel of Christ, cuts at the root of racism.

Piper is known for his rational thought and his Calvinism. While admitting that Calvinists have historically fared poorly if judged on racial concerns, he nevertheless builds a pretty strong case that each of the Calvinistic doctrinal points should lead toward a greater solidarity between races. None of us are favored because of our own actions, our race shouldn't determine our fate, what's more is that Jesus Christ died specifically to redeem men and women of every race. A multicolored and multi-ethnic throng surrounds the throne of the Lamb in Revelation 5. And that should be our goal, to make heaven's will a reality here on earth.

Along the way, Piper discusses practical aspects for how to implement a culture that aims for racial harmony, and he counters numerous objections. He delves into a cultural analysis too of structural racism and white guilt, among other topics. I found some of the appendices most helpful. One was a detailed discussion of the curse of Ham, which has long been a fundamentalist rationale for rigid racial segregation and separation. Another appendix shared some of the vision and policy statements of Piper's church, Bethlehem Baptist.

This book is accessible, and personal. It is also informative and provocative. I believe it is very helpful and may have a lasting impact on the church at large. This topic is worth thinking through and praying long and hard about, and John Piper is just the man to help us on this journey. His prayers and his struggles bleed through the pages of this weighty little book. I hope that people of all colors will pick up this book and see the vision for the multi-ethnic church that Christ died for. We all can learn from the wisdom in these pages. I highly recommend this book.

Disclaimer: This book was provided by Crossway Books. I was under no obligation to offer a favorable review. ( )
  bobhayton | Jan 12, 2013 |
Bloodlines
John Piper

This was a book that seemed force, disjointed and it would seem that Rev. Piper struggles with his topic.
I was mostly disappointed that this book did not delve into the diversity of Jesus' ethnically diverse heritage.
I want to thank Net Galley and Crossway for allowing me to read and review this book in return for a free copy and was never asked to write a favorable review by anyone. ( )
  Robin661 | Jul 2, 2012 |
By telling his own story and interweaving it with the story of the church he pastors, Piper has shined the light of the gospel on a pressing need. This book is recommended for students, pastors, teachers, and all those interested in putting the gospel into practice to bring redemption to this pressing social evil.
added by Christa_Josh | editBibliotheca Sacra, Glenn R. Kreider (Jul 1, 2012)

John Piperprimary authorall editionscalculated
Keller, TimForewordsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Genocide. Terrorism. Hate crimes. In a world where racism is far from dead, is unity amidst diversities even remotely possible? Sharing from his own experiences growing up in the segregated South, pastor John Piper thoughtfully exposes the unremitting problem of racism. Instead of turning finally to organizations, education, famous personalities, or government programs to address racial strife, Piper reveals the definitive source of hope -- teaching how the good news about Jesus Christ actively undermines the sins that feed racial strife, and leads to a many-colored and many-cultured kingdom of God. Learn to pursue ethnic harmony from a biblical perspective, and to relate to real people different from yourself, as you take part in the bloodline of Jesus that is comprised of "every tongue, tribe, and nation." - Publisher.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,826,347 books! | Top bar: Always visible