Lennon: The Man, the Myth, the Music - The…

Lennon: The Man, the Myth, the Music - The Definitive Life (2011)

by Tim Riley

There has been so much written on the life of John Lennon and I finally got around to reading one of them. Tim Riley seemed to put together a pretty good portrait of the man and his remarkable life. There is no doubt Lennon was a creative genius and along with that came the baggage of the geniusartist. No doubt most of his personal struggles in life came from his strange rearing and experiences. He gave us much to ponder and question in life and like a lot of people wrestled with the demons that made it for himself and others a hell at times. Mixing the good with the bad we end up with just a man after all, yet a man that so many connected with in a spiritual sense yet may not have felt so in dealing with him on a daily basis. His first son Julian I think summed up a lot of about what John was in saying, "I have to say that, from my point of view, I felt he was a hypocrite. Dad could talk about peace and love out loud to the world but he could never show it to the people who supposedly meant the most to him: his wife and son. How can you talk about peace and love and have a family in bits and pieces - no communication, adultery, divorce? You can't do it, not if you're being true and honest with yourself." I have to agree in what I saw here, still the senseless loss of what might have evolved haunts us. ( )
  knightlight777 | Oct 17, 2015 |
Tim Riley takes readers on an amazing journey of a Liverpool art student who gains the highest fame. Showing Lennon's life from his disastrous childhood to his epic media romance with Yoko Ono. This biography takes the reader through rock history as Lennon might have experienced it himself.
  SalemAthenaeum | Oct 1, 2011 |
Help (2005IMDb)
For Sara Laschever; my hero
Liverpool was a desperate place on October 9, 1940, when Julia Stanley Lennon gave birth to her first and only son, at the Oxford Maternity Home.

"A fascinating narrative of rock 'n' roll's most fascinating life. John Lennon's story is full of pain, grief, conflict, and rage, yet Tim Riley keeps his ear turned to the intimate musical details and creative passions that make John lennon's life so resonant."
ROB SHEFFIELD, Rolling Stone

Eminent NPR critic Tim Riley takes us on the remarkable journey that brought a Liverpool art student from a disastrous childhood to the highest realms of fame. Riley portrays Lennon's rise from Hamburg's red light district to Britain's Royal Variety Show; from the charmed na?ivete of "Love Me Do" to the soaring ambivalence of "Don't Let Me Down"; from his shotgun marriage to Cynthia Powell in 1962 to his epic media romance with Yoko Ono. This narrative draws on numerous new and exclusive interviews with Lennon's friends, enemies, confidantes, and associates. Riley explores Lennon in all of his contradictions: the British art student who universalized an American style, the anarchic rock 'n' roller with the moral spine, the anti-jazz snob who posed naked with his avant-garde lover, and the misogynist who became a househusband. What emerges is the enormous, seductive, and confounding personality that made Lennon a cultural touchstone.--From publisher description.… (more)

Tim Riley is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 136,458,756 books! | Top bar: Always visible