The Wind Through the Keyhole: The Dark Tower…

The Wind Through the Keyhole: The Dark Tower IV-1/2 (edition 2012)

by Stephen King (Author)

2,6621083,547 (4.07)2 / 70
Sent by his father to investigate evidence of a murderous shape shifter, a "skin man," Roland Deschain takes charge of Bill Streeter, a brave but terrified boy who is the sole surviving witness to the beast's most recent slaughter. Roland, himself only a teenager, calms the boy by reciting a story from the Magic Tales of the Eld that his mother used to read to him at bedtime, "The Wind through the Keyhole." (The novel can be placed between Dark Tower IV and Dark Tower V.)… (more)
Member:gargoylejt
Title:The Wind Through the Keyhole: The Dark Tower IV-1/2
Authors:Stephen King (Author)
Info:Gallery Books (2012), 320 pages
Collections:Novel, Your library

The Wind Through the Keyhole by Stephen King (Author)

English (99)  French (3)  Dutch (3)  Norwegian (1)  Spanish (1)  Finnish (1)  All languages (108)
A new story for me but filled with a lot of nostalgia. It was good to see my friends again. ( )
  DF1158 | Oct 20, 2019 |
I think it probably would have better as a collection of short stories rather than a framed story inside another framed story--the outer frame with Roland, Susanna, Eddie and Jake is pretty cursory, and taking a break from the story of young Roland to tell an unrelated story for half the book broke its momentum (also, longest bedtime story ever). But I really did enjoy the story of Tim and would read more like it. ( )
  haloedrain | Aug 3, 2019 |
Our group continues its journey but gets holed up during a bad storm. This leads to Roland telling another story from his younger days. Journey to be continued in the next book hopefully. ( )
  krgulick | Jun 19, 2019 |
I began this book thinking I hadn't read it yet. In fact I started an entire re-read of the Dark Tower series to encompass it, only to find that I HAVE read it. I kept thinking things were familiar, and then by the middle of the book began to remember what was coming - but not the end, so I kept going. Funny how the mind does that - forgets what you have read. I put it down to age as well as not spending enough time afterwards thinking about what I have read. I still loved it - and I am still going to continue the re-read of the series, just three more to go.

This is very much a story, within a story, within a story, and that is what makes it so intriguing. Roland is telling the ka-tet a story from his youth, and within that story he is telling a young boy a story his mother told him. All of it feels natural and links in, but coming out of it, I felt a bit like the character's in the film Inception when they came out of each level of a dream, you have to readjust and remember where you are, like you are waking up.

Roland's story to the Ka-tet covers his time as a new gunslinger, when he and one of his companions were sent to a place called Debaria to help a sheriff with a 'skin-man', or shape-changer, who is murdering dozens of people. We discover more about Roland and the story behind his mother's death, and see a more emotional side of him, explaining what drove him to become the hard-faced, emotionally cold gunslinger we (the constant reader) know and love.

The story he tells to the young boy in Debaria, the tale of The Wind Through the Keyhole, enables us to yet again catch a glimpse of the larger Dark Tower story, and the man in black - both Marten Broadcloak and Randall Flagg (who as we know are actually one and the same). In this tale we hear about a boy called Tim Ross, who is sent on a journey by a man called The Covenant Man after a promise that doing so would result in a potion to heal his mother's new blindness.

The thread that is used to draw us in, is also the thread that draws us through both stories - the Starkblast and how billy bumbler's foretell it's arrival.

As with many of Stephen King's stories it is full of magic and fantasy, and character's like Maerlyn the wizard, as well as dark moments of horror and hardship. I found this to be another totally immersive book, the characters and story drawing me in. I could hear Roland's voice the entire way through, as SK uses his dialect in the telling. And no matter how outlandish the story becomes - especially when Tim meets the Tyger - it all seems real in the world he creates.

I love all the Dark Tower books and would recommend them to anyone who enjoys a immersive fantasy. And this particular book can be read as a standalone. ( )
  purplequeennl | Mar 18, 2019 |
Sent by his father to investigate evidence of a murderous shape shifter, a "skin man," Roland Deschain takes charge of Bill Streeter, a brave but terrified boy who is the sole surviving witness to the beast's most recent slaughter. DARK TOWER novel HARD
  JRCornell | Jan 29, 2019 |

King, StephenAuthorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Lee, JaeIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Murray, DeniseCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
This is for Robin Furth, and the gang at Marvel Comics.
During the days after they left the Green Palace tha wasn't Oz after all -- but which was now the tomb of the unpleasant fellow Roland's ka-tet had known as the Tick-Tock Man -- the boy Jake began to range farther and farther ahead of Roland, Eddie, and Susannah.
It seemed to him that if the wrong man stepped into the marriage-loop with a woman, it was a noose instead of a ring.
"I cut the rope so, chary man!"
Time was a face on the water, and like the great river before them, it did nothing but flow.
There's nothing like stories on a windy night when folks have found a warm place in a cold world.
Horror's a worm that needs to be coughed out before it breeds. Now tell them.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 141,802,520 books! | Top bar: Always visible