Cinder by Marissa Meyer

Cinder (edition 2012)

by Marissa Meyer

6,790672911 (4.08)1 / 462
As plague ravages the overcrowded Earth, observed by a ruthless lunar people, Cinder, a gifted mechanic and cyborg, becomes involved with handsome Prince Kai and must uncover secrets about her past in order to protect the world in this futuristic take on the Cinderella story.
Member:Letora
Title:Cinder
Authors:Marissa Meyer
Info:New York : Feiwel & Friends, 2012.
Collections:Fantasy, Science Fiction, Horror, Light Novel, Urban Fantasy, Young Adult, Your library, Favorites
Rating:*****
Tags:to-read

Cinder by Marissa Meyer

English (667)  Spanish (2)  Italian (1)  German (1)  French (1)  All languages (672)
From the very first page, I was enraptured with Cinder’s world. Cinder isn’t just a girl, she’s a gifted mechanic…and a cyborg with a hidden past. Living under the oppression of her stepmother, Adri, Cinder’s life is filled with chores until one day Prince Kai comes to her booth in need of her help with his personal android. From there, Cinder’s life begins to change though for better or for worse, it’s unclear.

I give this book 5/5 stars but if there is ever a way to rate it higher, I would gladly do this. This is the best twist on the Cinderella fairytale that I have ever read. When I picked this book up, I couldn’t put it back down until I was finished reading and now I’m sad that it’s finished but glad that I’ve stumbled across the start of such an amazing series. I would recommend this book to EVERYONE!
  Kayla.Krantz | Feb 14, 2020 |
Ebook pertama yang selesai kubaca sejak dry eyes mendera :(

ceritanya sudah bisa ketebak tapi diceritakan dengan apik jadinya tidak bosan dan terasa seru. Endingnya yang waktu Cinder lari dari ball agak dipaksakan agar sama seperti kisah Cinderella. Padahal didepannya ada musuh utama yang bisa dia kalahkan saat itu, tapi dia malah lari?!?
Kalau ga lari ntar tamat dong, harus lari biar serinya bisa lanjut www ( )
  Titut | Feb 10, 2020 |
This review is also featured on Behind the Pages: Cinder

Switch out your glass slippers for mechanical cyborg feet in this imaginative retelling of Cinderella!

Rescued from a horrible accident, Cinder was forced to become a cyborg. And despite the advances in technology, people still discriminate against cyborgs. Cinder is left to fend for herself in a world where most look down on her. Her stepmother doesn’t hesitate to let Cinder know she is not wanted in the family. She is a stain on their reputation for what she is and is blamed for the death of her stepfather. Cinder spends most of her days in the market working as a mechanic and earns her keep by fixing whatever she can. Until the day the prince appears at her shop, asking her to fix his robot. Cinder is left speechless, and without a choice, agrees. Cinder’s life is about to become a messy web of politics and royal agendas.

Cinder is a young girl many can connect with, struggling to find her place and earn her independence as she comes of age. She battles with awkward moments and understanding the brand-new feelings of attraction. She also makes poor choices because she doesn’t know any better and learns from each experience. It was refreshing to read a young adult book that was appropriate. For all the hinted romance, it never goes into the adult realm like so many do these days.

Your heart goes out to Cinder who feels displaced and fearful of people knowing she is a cyborg. The world-building was so well done to describe a society that cannot accept people who are not fully human. The feeling of being on the outside influences all of her actions and Cinder stayed true to her character throughout the entire novel. Even when it was frustrating at times, you understood why she acted as she did.

I highly recommend Cinder and cannot wait to read the next book in The Lunar Chronicles! ( )
  Letora | Feb 8, 2020 |
While the book itself was enjoyable overall, I couldn't ignore the "reveal" being so obvious. I was constantly asking myself if the author expected me to already know and was setting up a subversion, only to be disappointed by the most likely twist possible in the end. Other than that, Cinder herself was a cool and overall enjoyable character, as was Kai. The book was a bit slow overall and the worldbuilding wasn't particularly deep, but it did get me interested in the Lunars and the overall politics of the world, so it must have been effective. ( )
  Dreklogar | Jan 13, 2020 |
I will admit that it took a lot of faith to get into this book. Don't get me wrong, I like to read science fiction, twisted fairytales, political drama, and dystopian futures but not usually all in the same book. Meyer balances it well. The Lunar Chronicles series would be a lot harder to swallow if she did not have incredible mastery of her craft. ( )
  BibliaNocturnus | Jan 12, 2020 |

Marissa Meyerprimary authorall editionscalculated
Deas, RichCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Grzeslo, BarbaraDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
O, MichaelCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Soler, RebeccaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For my grandma, Samalee Jones, with more love than could ever fit into these pages.
The screw through Cinder's ankle had rusted, the engraved cross marks worn to a mangled circle.
Book One: While her sisters were given beautiful dresses and fine slippers, Cinderella had only a filthy smock and wooden shoes.
Book Two: There was no bed for her, and at night when she had worked herself weary, she had to sleep by he hearth in the ashes.
Book Three: "You want to go to the festival, all covered in dust and dirt? Be we would only be ashamed of you!"
Book Four; The prince had the stairway smeared with pitch, and when Cinderella tried to run away, her left slipper got stuck.

Plot Summary: Cinder, a gifted mechanic and a cyborg with a mysterious past, is blamed by her stepmother for her stepsister's illness while a deadly plague sweeps the population of New Beijing. However, Cinder's life gets intertwined with Prince Kai's, and she finds herself at the center of an intergalactic struggle.
Extensions: fracture fairy tale lesson, parallels, symbolism

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 142,389,602 books! | Top bar: Always visible