Cinder by Marissa Meyer

Cinder (edition 2013)

by Marissa Meyer (Author)

Series: Lunar Chronicles (1)

8,260742775 (4.09)1 / 473
As plague ravages the overcrowded Earth, observed by a ruthless lunar people, Cinder, a gifted mechanic and cyborg, becomes involved with handsome Prince Kai and must uncover secrets about her past in order to protect the world in this futuristic take on the Cinderella story.
Member:YA-Juvenile-WPBooks
Title:Cinder
Authors:Marissa Meyer (Author)
Info:Square Fish (2013), Edition: 2nd, 448 pages

Cinder by Marissa Meyer

English (733)  Spanish (2)  Italian (1)  French (1)  All languages (737)
THIS. WAS. AWESOME.

4.25..or maybe 4.5 stars.

Sara_Lucario | Oct 19, 2021 |
This was a gripping book that I enjoyed way more than I thought I would. I've had this book sitting on my shelf for years and I picked it up on my through trying to clear my TBR that I own. I fully expected to have missed my opportunity to enjoy this book. I still really enjoy YA books but I've read more broadly over the past few years. The main character, Cinder is 16 in this book and while I'm only 4 years older than that, I thought I might see her character as acting young and I thought I might not be able to relate to her much. Luckily, that was not an issue and I was fully able to relate to the character and sympathize with her. She never did anything that made her seem overly young or immature.

I did like Kai, the prince and love interest, and I could definitely see him as a love interest but I didn't really see enough of his character in this book to really love his character. Though, I like that the book made me respect some choices he had to make as a leader of a commonwealth. One thing I did think was a little odd with Cinder and his relationship was that I think he was 2 or 3 years older than her (I can't remember if he was 18 or 19 in this book). Obviously that isn't a huge age difference for adult relationships but when people are in their teens, a lot of development happens each year and I do think a 3 year age gap when the younger person is 16 is actually quite a gap.

There was a twist at the end that I saw coming from a mile away (I'll discuss more in spoilers). However guessing the twist very early on did not take away from my enjoyment of the other parts of the story.

I though the antagonists in this were very good. Some of their actions made me actually emotional and upset for the characters that they were hurting. I actually thought that Cinder's stepmother, Adri, was a better antagonist in this book compared to the "main" bad guy, Levana. Adris actions seemed much more harsh and person and evoked a much stronger emotional response for me.

Also I loved this font in this book! I have the old paperback cover which I'm so thankful for because I really do not like the new covers.

I definitely think I would continue this series. I don't know how quickly I'll pick up the second book just because I don't own it so I'll probably get it from the library but I do want to read it soon!

I feel like I don't need to recommend this book because it seems like everyone how would want to read it has already read it but if you've put off reading this like I did, I would absolutely suggest picking it up and seeing if it is something you would like.

Spoiler section!
The twist that Cinder was Princess Selene was a little too heavily foreshadowed in my opinion but also I'm so used to those kinds of twists that I predicted it basically as soon as Selene was mentioned. I don't think it is necessarily bad that I was able to guess that twist but it did mean I was expecting a lot of other twists, like knowing that Cinder was lunar. I don't know how much of a twist that's supposed to be considering this series is called the lunar chronicles or if it's going to turn out that the characters in all four books are lunar but it was a twist I could easily predict. ( )
  AKBouterse | Oct 14, 2021 |
The plot was interesting, the characters were likeable, but it just all blew up in the end (not literally), and there was no sense of conclusion, it just stopped. And the twist at the end, I saw it coming from, like the first chapter. Called it. ( )
  astronomist | Oct 3, 2021 |
Even I hit the point where I'm tired of Cinderella retellings. So I picked it up because nothing else I wanted to read was at the library.

The Romance? Definite Twilight leanings... but not as awful. But pretty ridiculous if you actually think about it.

The world? Not really described enough.

To be honest, I was about to give up when they had that cabinet meeting... which brought up so many intriguing (and unanswered questions) that I had to just keep reading.

The questions are still not answered. But I'm willing to stick it out for another book and see... ( )
  OutOfTheBestBooks | Sep 24, 2021 |
I love a good retelling story, and that is exactly what I got with this book! It is a very unique and interesting retelling of Cinderella. Though, this Cinder lives in the future where some people still live on Earth, and others live on the moon. Cinder is Asian, a cyborg, and a mechanic. She doesn't have to worry about losing a shoe, she has to worry about losing the whole foot! ( )
  Completely_Melanie | Sep 10, 2021 |

Marissa Meyerprimary authorall editionscalculated
Deas, RichCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Grzeslo, BarbaraDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
O, MichaelCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Soler, RebeccaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For my grandma, Samalee Jones, with more love than could ever fit into these pages.
The screw through Cinder's ankle had rusted, the engraved cross marks worn to a mangled circle.
Book One: While her sisters were given beautiful dresses and fine slippers, Cinderella had only a filthy smock and wooden shoes.
Book Two: There was no bed for her, and at night when she had worked herself weary, she had to sleep by he hearth in the ashes.
Book Three: "You want to go to the festival, all covered in dust and dirt? Be we would only be ashamed of you!"
Book Four: The prince had the stairway smeared with pitch, and when Cinderella tried to run away, her left slipper got stuck.

Plot Summary: Cinder, a gifted mechanic and a cyborg with a mysterious past, is blamed by her stepmother for her stepsister's illness while a deadly plague sweeps the population of New Beijing. However, Cinder's life gets intertwined with Prince Kai's, and she finds herself at the center of an intergalactic struggle.
Extensions: fracture fairy tale lesson, parallels, symbolism

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 163,239,725 books! | Top bar: Always visible