A Million Suns (2012)

by Beth Revis

Series: Across the Universe (2)

When Elder discovers shocking news about Godspeed, he and Amy race to discover the truth behind life on the space ship. They must work together to unlock a puzzle that was set in motion hundreds of years earlier, unable to fight the romance that's growing between them and the chaos that threatens to tear them apart.… (more)

4* I wish the twist was a little more surprising. Beth Revis does a goos job of keeping out just about any kinds of hints as who the main antagonist would be in this 2nd book in the Across the Universe Trilogy, however I was able to figure out pretty quickly who it was so wasn't very surprised at the big reveal. ( )
  courty4189 | Mar 24, 2021 |
wow. I absolutely loved this book, it had so many twists and turns and kept my turning the pages to find out what was going to happen next. It was frustrating at times, but not overly so, as the ending was good. I liked that Elder and Amy's relationship is a side point and doesn't turn into an all-consuming love triangle like so many other ya books recently. I loved all the intrigue and mystery, even if I did guess at some of the twists before they happened. Both Amy and Elder had their flaws, as do all the characters, which is great and makes them so much more realistic. ( )
  zacchaeus | Dec 26, 2020 |
I’m quite enjoying this series. The books, this one in particular, tackle some pretty dark subjects. The author did a better job of disguising the mystery elements in this addition although it was not entirely unpredictable. Elder was much more interesting this time around. Amy, I’m still warming to. The back end of the book got a little dramatic for my taste, with characters seemingly making decision without thinking it through. However, I’m satisfied with where the book has left us and would have been frustrated if it didn’t end in a similar way. Looking forward to reading the next instalment. ( )
  mackinsquash | Aug 15, 2020 |
In this sequel to Across the Universe, author Beth Revis takes us back aboard the colony ship Godspeed just three months after Amy was revived from cryogenic storage. The inhabitants of the Godspeed are struggling to deal with life without the calming effects of Phydrus, and at the same time with the shift in leadership paradigms that Elder is attempting to introduce. But not everyone is happy with the new freedoms of thought and free will, and the body count starts to rise as a message is clearly sent to anyone that will listen: Follow The Leader.

At the same time, Amy is presented with a series of tantalizing clues left to her in video clips by Orion, the very man that tried to kill her in the last book. Are the two related? What is the secret that Orion is trying to guide Amy to, and why does he say that only she can decide the fate of the Godspeed? Readers will be captivated by Revis' flowing writing as the attempt to unravel these two ribbons of the plot.

Following in the footsteps of works like Robert Heinlein’s “Orphans of the Sky,” Revis presents a fresh and entertaining story in this second book of her trilogy. The intensity and action increase as our two protagonists, Amy and Elder, deal with both a murderer on the loose, and the future of the Godspeed itself and everyone on board it. Recommended for science fiction readers starting at age 13 for mature plot elements. ( )
  kodermike | Jul 31, 2020 |
I enjoyed the first book so much I had to jump right into the second book. I am glad I did while all the characters and plot were fresh in my mind. In this book more lies are revealed and there are some good twists to the story. Most importantly there is more character development.

I loved how the author used the budding relationship between Elder and Amy to advance the plot. I also liked that she betrayed them as fallible, especially Elder. They are young and of course they make mistakes and are not sure of themselves. It worked nicely with the story and make them relatable. Now I wonder what is going to happen in the final book. Excited to dig into it. ( )
  purpledog | Jun 10, 2020 |

Beth Revisprimary authorall editionscalculated
Järvinen, OutiTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Belongs to Series

"This isn't going to be easy," I mutter, staring at the solid metal door that leads to the Engine Room on the Shipper Level of Godspeed.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 159,127,908 books! | Top bar: Always visible