Psycho: A Novel by Robert Bloch

Psycho: A Novel (original 1959; edition 2010)

by Robert Bloch (Author)

Series: Psycho (1)

It was a dark and stormy night when Mary Crane glimpsed the unlit neon sign announcing the vacancy at the Bates Motel. Exhausted, lost, and at the end of her rope, she was eager for a hot shower and a bed for the night. Her room was musty, but clean, and the manager seemed nice, if a little odd. This classic horror novel, which inspired the famous film by Alfred Hitchcock, has been thrilling people for fifty years.… (more)
Member:zorak_1996
Title:Psycho: A Novel
Authors:Robert Bloch (Author)
Info:The Overlook Press (2010), Edition: 1, 176 pages

Psycho by Robert Bloch (1959)

Deviant: The Shocking True Story of Ed Gein, the Original Psycho by Harold Schechter (schatzi)
    schatzi: Psycho was (at least partially) inspired by the real-life case of Ed Gein
    The Killer Inside Me by Jim Thompson (DeDeNoel)
    DeDeNoel: Inside the mind of a murderer.
    Lie to Me by David Martin (SomeGuyInVirginia)
    SomeGuyInVirginia: As good or better than.
    Slob by Rex Miller (vampduster)

English (46)  Danish (1)  Spanish (1)  Dutch (1)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  All languages (50)
This is not the Psycho movie. It's hard not to judge the book by the Alfred Hitchcock movie and it's hard not to cast the actors from that movie in the novel, though clearly Anthony Perkins is not the Norman Bates of the novel.

The novel takes its time building up, and while its a slow start, it's worth the time investment because Bloch carefully paints a very clear picture throughout the novel of who Norman Bates really is. As I read this, I could clearly see the novel's influence on Stephen King, especially in his novel The Dead Zone.

What I didn't know was that Bloch had written a couple of sequels to this. Now I'm going to have to see if I can find them. ( )
  TobinElliott | Sep 3, 2021 |
Just as good as the film! Really enjoyed this. I didn't realise there was a second installment so I might pick that up as well! ( )
  SarahRita | Aug 11, 2021 |
I bet this was pretty exciting if you read it before the movie was made. The trouble now however is that every bit of this book is common cultural knowledge. I've never even seen the movie, but it turns out that I know the entire story. Unfortunately that means that all the truly original and intriguing bits have no bite, and the flaws really stand out.

Also worthy of consideration is its troubling representation of transpeople and individuals with mental illness. ( )
  Zoes_Human | May 17, 2021 |
For such a short book this was pleasant to listen to - I saw the movie ages ago and I honestly remembered nothing of the end of this book - I didn't realize it was a series either - kind of makes me want to read the rest. The psychology around this character and the whole book was epic and Norman is kind of a villain you love in a way - or at least for me - it also kind of makes me want to watch the movie again. A must read I'd say if you've seen movie. ( )
  ashezbookz | Oct 20, 2020 |
I listened to this on audio... it was so horrifying that I immediately listened to it again! ( )
  Chrissylou62 | Aug 1, 2020 |

Robert Blochprimary authorall editionscalculated
Clark, Alan M.Cover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
10%
of this book
is dedicated to
HARRY ALTSHULER,
who did 90% of the work
Norman Bates heard the noise and a shock went through him.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 162,556,240 books! | Top bar: Always visible