Star Wars: Vector Prime by R.A. Salvatore

Star Wars: Vector Prime (original 1999; edition 2000)

by R.A. Salvatore

After the defeat of the Empire, Princess Leia is now a noted diplomat and her brother Luke hopes to reestablish a Jedi Council. The three teenage Solo children are Jedi-in-training. Meanwhile in an outer sector of the star system, a dark threat is gathering. The Yuuzhan Vong, an extragalactic warrior race that despises technology, have trained living organisms to serve them in highly sophisticated ways.… (more)
Member:stevepugh
Title:Star Wars: Vector Prime
Authors:R.A. Salvatore
Info:Arrow Books Ltd (2000), Edition: New Ed, Paperback, 398 pages
Collections:Your library, Read but unowned
Rating:***
Tags:!borrowed, fiction, new jedi order, novel, science fiction, star wars

Vector Prime by R. A. Salvatore (1999)

Twenty one years have passed since the destruction of the Death Star and the establishment of the New Republic in an attempt to unite the galaxy under equality and peace. But the differences between the many worlds within the galaxy are still too obvious; and unrest has started to spread among the worlds branded as ”lower class”. Rhommamool is such a planet – a poor desert planet with a lousy economy compared to its neighbour planet Osarian with its white sand beaches and thriving economy.

Leia Organa Solo, her daugher Jaina and her sister-in-law Mara Jade travel to Rhommamool in an attempt to make a diplomatic agreement with Rhommamool's front protester; Nom Anor. He preaches anti-Osarian, anti New-Republic believes; but most of all, he is incredibly anti-droids which leads to a mass fire pit where many of the planets' droids are sacrificed in protest.

But Nom Anor's goals are not just for Rhommamool. Actually, he could care less about the uncivilized desert world. His goals are much bigger – something the astrophysicist Danni Quee will discover when she, along with her collegues, notices a strange comet-like object on their radars on the Outer Rim of the galaxy. She and her co-workers are all excited to go check the strange comet out; as someone comes with a theory that it might be made out of ice, and the fact that it came out of nowhere... like it came from a different galaxy.

This is technically my first Star Wars series; The Force Unleashed only consists of two books, so it doesn't really count. I've tried to avoid the series so far, only reading stray-books because all most series are at least five books each. But I've realised that I can't keep myself on a leash anymore. I need to get deeper into this messy, incredible world.

Even if it happens to be a book that's pretty far into the SW universe, I felt very welcome as I started reading. The book was only as complicated as most sci-fi books tend to be with their own words and sciences – but the plot was more or less all new; and old any history between characters was at least vaguely explained. I think it's important in a literature universe as big as this one to make sure you don't have to read the first hundred books to understand the first book in a new series.

It felt so good to be reunited with old characters; none of the books I've read before have contained the trio from the Original Trilogy so it was nice to see them again; and to know I was about to go on yet another adventure with them. And boy, was it a good one.

I really liked the plot; there were about three or four different main locations within the book with different characters at different places but it never really felt that messy. Everything held together quite nicely – I don't think I would've enjoyed it if it weren't for the different main plot locations.

But I'm constantly in awe about these books; because while I do feel like the characters from the films (such as Luke, Leia, Han, etc) are all quite nicely in-character (!) written, I have a hard time getting attached to the original ones. Danni was really hard for me to get used to because I feel like manic pixie dream girl is the #1 trope within the SW universe; and it gets old really, really fast. They are all just... the same. She felt like one of the main original characters from Kenobi; which reminded me of a character from Death Troopers.

It isn't hard to write complex, realistic female characters. It's really not. But I feel like in the SW universe, they always have the same personality, similiar rough background and they are emotional but can handle tools and says ”don't be such a girl” when her male friends whine – well, maybe not literally but it's the vibe I constantly get. The Solo children all blew my mind with how awesome they were; but of course Jaina had to comment on her brother wearing a !!!skirt!!! and how she would never let him forget that one. That's not... okay. Perhaps it will different as I dwell further into the SW universe. Maybe I'm just comparing the female characters too much. But we all know Star Wars is honestly not known for being a gender equal franchise (I love Leia as much as everyone else, but one woman among fifty men doesn't say shit). Maybe I have to let it to and take it for what it is.. an amazing series of space adventures. Either way, I'm definitely in for a ride and I'm quite excited about it. ( )
  autisticluke | Nov 14, 2019 |
The book that put me off all New Jedi Order books for life. ( )
  Fardo | Oct 15, 2019 |
scifi
  BookstoogeLT | Dec 10, 2016 |
I was already a fan of this author having read the Dark Elf Trilogy, The Icewindale Trilogy and many others. This book begins the New Jedi order with many of the characters we have all come to know and love featuring a new generation of Jedi and a new enemy that seemingly have no relationship to the force which calls a lot of things into question. Great storytelling in this novel. You care about the relationships that have been built throughout the EU and Salvatore does all of the previous stories justice. The action is very well written. You will grow to hate the new enemy. Disney may have de-canonized the EU but that doesn't mean we can't still enjoy the works. If you have read other Star Wars series this is another good one to feast on! ( )
  Van_Blake | Feb 29, 2016 |
The absolute first thing one needs to know when approaching The New Jedi Order series is that these books have been written over the course of the last ten-or-so years, and in now way reflect The Force Awakens or any of the modern generation of Star Wars. Think of it, if you will, as a parallel universe.

Once that is out of the way, each book of The New Jedi Order series must be approached as its own entity, because with any fandom-based storyline, each story is written by a different author. Vector Prime, written by R.A. Salvatore, falls short of his usual lyrical storytelling. It is, more or less, what you might expect from a sequel in print written by someone other than the author of the original story. There are, however, a few intrigues within the individual characters.

For me, the character that stands out is Jaina Solo (one of the three Solo children). She is a strong character written into the story at a time when Star Wars didn't have many strong female characters and she quickly outshines (in my opinion) her mother, the renown Leia Skywalker-Solo. She also stands head-to-head with her aunt Mara Jade, and characters like these make the story an interesting read, if not particularly exciting. Jana is certainly a breath of fresh air after going between her two brothers, each with their own interpretations about the Force that they'd really, really like to share. Over and over.

The plot, unfortunate, has been overused in science fiction and the story itself is flat, with too many characters doing too many things I simply cannot bring myself to care about.

I would recommend this story to science-fiction fans with an open mind (as these books are no longer considered canon) and a taste for Star Wars. I would also advise readers that if Vector Prime does not suit your fancy, other books in the series written by other authors settle a little better. ( )
  Morteana | Feb 3, 2016 |

R. A. Salvatoreprimary authorall editionscalculated
Heald, AnthonyNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Diane, with all my love, and to my kids,
Bryan, Geno, and Caitlin,
who make it easy for me to empathize with Han Solo!
It was too peaceful out here, surrounded by the vacuum of space and with only the continual hum of the twin ion drives breaking the silence.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 141,658,508 books! | Top bar: Always visible