Death of Kings by Bernard Cornwell
9202115,145 (3.91)21
King Alfred is dying and his passing threatens the island of Britain to renewed warfare. Alfred wants his son, Edward, to succeed him but there are other Saxon claimants to the throne as well as ambitious pagan Vikings to the north.

English (19)  Finnish (1)  Czech (1)  All languages (21)
(9) I have lost track of what number this is in the "Last Kingdom" series - Cornwall's Lord Uhtred series set in medieval Britain. Arthur the Great has died and his young son Edward has inherited the throne or has he? This would be an excellent time for the Danes to unite and take over England.. . But not if Uhtred has anything to say about it.

I enjoy these novels especially as I am reading them along with watching the Netflix series, but I have to say this one was rather dispiritedly written. Granted this is based on history so there is only so much liberty the author can take - but my gosh - it is all so repetitive with just slightly different pagan lords taking the place of the ones Uhtred killed the previous book. Edward seems a paper cut-out and less flesh and blood than his father. And Uhtred has become a bit less believable. The earlier books in the series were better regarding characterization for sure. It all has a been there, done that kind of feel.

Anyway, I am ready for Uhtred to go to Bebbanburg and call it a day. But despite my critique, the series is still a guilty escapist pleasure. ( )
  jhowell | Feb 15, 2018 |
Uhtred saves England, well, Wessex again. Alfred dies, and his son Edward "The Elder" gains the throne. there are several bloody episodes and the sulky reluctant saxon, Uhtred makes everything right in the end. The major villains survive, so we'll be ready for the next chapter. ( )
  DinadansFriend | Jan 16, 2018 |
This was a very good book, however I only give it four stars due to problems with the timeline. It seems at points that Cornwell has forgotten how much time elapsed between novels. This book is set in 898 - 6 years after the Burning Land - yet events that happened in the latter are referred to as merely happening the year before in the Death of Kings. So too are characters met then far younger than they should be now. Regrettably this is the start of a trend in later novels, though it doesn't detract from the overall enjoyability either of the book or its parent series. ( )
  NishaGreyjoy | Sep 26, 2017 |
One more great book to continue The Saxon Stories. ( )
  zeppanen | Apr 28, 2016 |
The grand fun continues! Now Uhtred is now an old man, and he has a huge alliance against him and now, with Alfred dead, his support is very faltering. His enemies set a huge trap for him. He figures it out at the last minute, and takes a huge courageous risk to come out victorious, with the reinforcements arriving just in the nick of time. Yeah, it's a bit of a formula, but done with style and skill... another page turner! ( )
  kukulaj | Feb 15, 2016 |
Death of Kings is for

Anne LeClaire,

novelist and friend,

who supplied the first line.
"Every day is ordinary," Father Willibald said, "until it isn't."

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 141,785,856 books! | Top bar: Always visible