by Piers Anthony

Series: Incarnations of Immortality (4)

Wielding a Red Sword

I have always enjoyed Piers Anthony's books but I had never read this series. As a whole I quite enjoyed this series of books. I found the characters and story to be clever and interesting. It sort of reminded me of a more adult version of a Rick Riordan series of books. ( )
  KateKat11 | Sep 24, 2021 |
Read and loved many times. Time to reread so I can comment.

Reread 2018 - I should never read reviews..they taint things. So much negative reaction, all of it seemingly due to the inner mindset of the person reading rather than what was written. Okay, that is the way reading works...your own preconceived notions colour every story and sometimes blind you to what the writer himself intended. I hesitated about reading but I am a completist so I started and enjoyed it and the things that bothered other readers did not bother me. Again, I am not fond of the Satan interactions and all the women chopping and changing was confusing but the book was not bad and I am looking forward to the next. Oooh and a mystery to solve...a baby to find. ( )
  Karen74Leigh | Sep 4, 2019 |
i seemed to like this better as a kid ( )
  spicymike | Jul 14, 2019 |
Not very good, it seemed like this one never really went anywhere. Hopefully the series picks up again with the next installment. ( )
  biggs1399 | Jan 19, 2016 |
A look into one of the more violent Incarnations: War, Mars, Aries. However you wish to describe him, this is his story. How Mym, an unlikely candidate for War, first escaped from his kingdom, joined a traveling circus because he fell in love with one of the performers only to be rushed back home when his kingdom was in need of an heir. Back home, he falls in love again, and is about to marry this lovely princess when his father calls off the marriage to arrange something more profitable for the kingdom. This doesn't please Mym too much, and when he is then given the Red Sword, he is able to use his unique office to hinder war rather than encourage it (much to the dismay of his sidekick incarnations--Pestilence, Famine, Conquest and Slaughter)--and of course to battle the Incarnation of Evil himself, Satan.

This is a truly fun story that is well worth the read. I think that my future readings will have to go on hold as there are four more books in this series...and I want to read them all! ( )
  csweder | Jul 8, 2014 |

Anthony, PiersAuthorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Crisp, SteveCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Pinna, MarcoTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Whelan, MichaelCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Belongs to Series

Belongs to Publisher Series

It was a travelling show, the kind that drifted from village to village, performing for thrown rupees.

Wielding a Red Sword

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 164,635,336 books! | Top bar: Always visible