Whisper by Chrissie Keighery
406400,689 (4)None

Bought this really for the book cover collection at work, but wanted to read it as I know nothing about being deaf and very little about living with or interacting with people who cannot hear. On the surface it is a typical YA book, although well-written, with none of the lazy characterisation or vocabulary that sometimes plagues writing for this audience. As far as I could tell it would engage such an audience in terms of its concerns, context and language. The main character's deafness (the result of an illness, not something she was born with) is important, in the same way that any particular difference is important to a story about growing up. The author carefully and (I think) sensitively explores the myriad ways in which people deal with being different from the social norm, without it feeling preachy or tick-box. And I felt I did learn quite a lot about how different people in the community (deliberate use of the word, as this is an important concept in the book) of the deaf might feel.
BTW the cover is just brilliant! ( )
  Deborahrs | Apr 15, 2017 |
I loved this. Demi is a strong, believable character who is juggling her two worlds, sometimes stumbling and falling, but always getting back up. It's an interesting exploration of the meaning of friendship and the importance of seeing the person and not the disability. This is a really insightful book which gave me new perspectives into the world of the deaf. ( )
  mmacd3814 | May 30, 2016 |
The protagonist of ‘Whisper’ is 16-year-old Demi. Two years before the story began, she became profoundly deaf. She has a supportive family and some good friends, but she has been struggling in her school, finding it very difficult to lip read and to keep up. So, rather to her mother’s dismay, she has decided to move to a college for the Deaf.

Demi comes across as human and likeable; seeing the world from her eyes helped me understand just how difficult an ordinary bus journey would be for someone with no hearing. It’s not a long book, but the characters feel three-dimensional and real, and the message is a powerful one. There are some thought-provoking scenes, some which moved me to anger, and some which were moving in a different way. Demi’s three-year-old nephew is an utter delight, and Demi’s growth in maturity is believable, as she begins to find a balance between the two communities in which she now belongs.

Highly recommended for older children or teens, or indeed adults. There’s nothing inappropriate for a thoughtful child of eight or nine who reads fluently and doesn’t mind some low-key romance. It would make an excellent discussion starter for any group wanting to think about the ways disabled people are sometimes treated.

I shall be looking out for other books by this author in future. ( )
  SueinCyprus | Jan 26, 2016 |
Seventeen-year-old Demi is deaf after a severe illness three years earlier. She is a strong, courageous protagonist who has to cope with ignorant people, a new school, changing friendships and family pressures, as she battles daily with fears and insecurities, struggling to live in a world of silence.

I thoroughly enjoyed this book. It is written with warmth and sensitivity and, the fact that Demi has only been deaf a relatively short time reinforces to the reader the enormity of what she has lost. Keighery has shown how lonely and isolated the world of the deaf can be, and from reading this story I have learnt some new sign-language. This book is a must for school libraries! ( )
  HeatherLINC | Jan 22, 2016 |
www.booksforcompany.com
Tour : http://www.booksforcompany.com/2012/0...
In Short
- Whisper is a special book which makes you see the world from a different point of view.
- I liked that there was only one main character.
- Throughout the book there is little magical and such meaningful sentences.
- This book is such an eye opener.

In Long
Whisper is one of those special books, a book which takes the real world and makes you see it from a different point of view. I love paranormal books, don’t get me wrong, I read them all the time but I believe books are harder to write when written in the real world. Chrissie has had to really think and explore so many different paths and I admire her for doing so. For example, how do you get the attention of a class of children who are all deaf? It’s a real eye opener, I found myself really admiring the people in the world (more than I already did) who are unable to hear or see. I can’t imagine it myself and feel very lucky to both be able to see and hear myself.
I will admit, a 1/3 of the way through the book I couldn't find myself getting into the book, I loved that Chrissie was making the book a real meaningful one but I felt the storyline was lacking a little. The thing which kept me reading was all the little magical and very meaningful sentences throughout the book which really made me think. Luckily things picked up anyway and I found myself totally engrossed in Demi’s story and seeing how she was going to cope with it all.
Demi is a strong character who I enjoyed getting to know. I think her reaction to what had happened to her was real. I can see it being a huge struggle so I was kind of glad Chrissie made it feel very real by showing that Demi wasn’t ok and she was struggling to accept that she was unable to hear. It was the way she dealt with it that made me admire her character though. The other characters all played their part but I was grateful that there was only one main character, it definitely suited this sort of storyline.

Final Thoughts
Whisper has a strong message behind it, one which everyone needs to take notice of to help the people in our world who are less fortunate than us. Chrissie has enabled me to see into almost a different world while I was reading Whisper and it will stay with me forever. ( )
  BooksforCompany | Jul 23, 2012 |

YA. Fifteen-year-old Demi's world is shattered when she is left profoundly deaf by a sudden illness. Everything is different now, and Demi must learn to adapt to a new school, new friends and even learn a whole new language. Whisper is a coming-of-age tale, about discovering who you are and where you fit in life. About friendships and first love and, more of all, learning to love the person you are.12 yrs+… (more)

Chrissie Keighery is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,013,764 books! | Top bar: Always visible