The Sword Of Shannara: The Shannara…

The Sword Of Shannara: The Shannara Chronicles (original 1977; edition 1999)

by Terry Brooks (Author)

Series: Shannara (omnibus 1-3), Shannara Trilogy (omnibus 1-3), Shannara Universe: Chronological (Omnibus 10,11,12)

The first three novels of Terry Brooks Shannara epic of good and evil.
Member:Amy0231
Title:The Sword Of Shannara: The Shannara Chronicles
Authors:Terry Brooks (Author)
Info:Orbit (1999), Edition: New Ed, 736 pages

Work Information

The Sword of Shannara Trilogy by Terry Brooks (1977)

Awful writing. Just awful. ( )
  jamestomasino | Sep 11, 2021 |
I first discovered Terry Brooks and the Sword of Shannara in 5th grade. My teacher handed them to me, a gift from her husband who heard about my proclivity to reading. Ultimately, there are some things better left to memory and this is one of them.

Brooks work is definitely an homage to Tolkien and major criticism has always been how derivative the story is (just browse though the one star ratings!). Brooks did have ideas expanding epic fantasy tales, but unfortunately, didn't fully take advantage until the novel came to a close: unlike Tolkien, the army sweeping across the land isn't a race of mindless, evil orcs and goblins, but instead an army of bitter, resentful gnomes and trolls which can't be labeled as irredeemable evil. The Gnomes and Trolls play a large part in helping Shea succeed in his quest.

Oh, and Terry Brooks isn't quite as obvious as putting his characters into an impossible to survive situation and then spiriting them away as Tolkien was. (DANG THOSE STUPID BIRDS. WHY DIDN'T THEY JUST FLY THEM INTO MORDOR!) ( )
  illmunkeys | Apr 22, 2021 |
How did this book even get published? I read a battle scene, or at least I think a battle was supposed to take place, but it lasted about 3 sentences and was basically "there were bad guys. The good guys broke the lines. The bad guys ran." I'm giving up on this book/series and I don't do that easily.

The epitome of telling not showing. Almost felt like a summary of a story. ( )
  wamaju | Dec 10, 2020 |
Enjoyed this book. ( )
  jockumsen | Apr 26, 2020 |
The first half of this book contains some of the worst writing I've ever read. But then, about halfway through, it gets pretty good. Definitely a holdover from the days when an artist was permitted to learn on the job. Once he stops trying so hard to be Tolkien, Brooks is a pretty decent storyteller. I'll try out the next in the series to see if the improvement continues. ( )
  Shaun_Hamill | Oct 10, 2019 |
This is a box set containing The Sword of Shannara, The Elfstones of Shannara, and The Wishsong of Shannara.

The first three novels of Terry Brooks Shannara epic of good and evil.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 164,535,631 books! | Top bar: Always visible