The Art of The Hobbit by J.R.R. Tolkien by…

The Art of The Hobbit by J.R.R. Tolkien (edition 2012)

by J.R.R. Tolkien, Wayne G. Hammond (Editor), Christina Scull (Editor)

When J.R.R. Tolkien wrote The hobbit, he had become an accomplished amateur artist, and he was keen to contribute visually to the work. The finished book contained eight black and white drawings, five colour plates, two maps and his own jacket design.
Member:BradfordPL
Title:The Art of The Hobbit by J.R.R. Tolkien
Authors:J.R.R. Tolkien
Other authors:Wayne G. Hammond (Editor), Christina Scull (Editor)
Info:Houghton Mifflin Harcourt (2012), Edition: First Edition, Hardcover, 144 pages
Collections:New Books

Work Information

The Art of the Hobbit by J.R.R. Tolkien by Wayne G. Hammond

Helps to show the development of Tolkien’s writing of The Hobbit and is rather wonderful really. I reread The Hobbit whilst reading this and it added enormously to the appreciation. ( )
  CarltonC | Apr 5, 2022 |
Collecintg Tolkien's artwork from the Hobbit makes for a great (if limited) collection, but I found this book to be quite underwhelming. The prose that discussed the various sketches and techniques that Tolkien used to build towards a finished piece was so dry that I found myself zoning out continually while reading. The distraction was not helped at all by the slightly jumbled page layout, which often separated text from image and sent my eyes wandering for described images that were pages back or ahead. Clearly they did not take as much care in the design of this book as Tolkien did for the original publication of the Hobbit... ( )
  JaimieRiella | Feb 25, 2021 |
This book features all the illustrations Tolkien has ever done of The Hobbit - from just mere scribbles and sketches to the colorful and fully developed pictures that were published in the finished work in the first British and American editions and later on. In the book, we follow the journey from Hobbiton to the Lonely Mountain and back, each chapter devoted to a place in the story and the pictures Tolkien drew and painted of that place. The last chapters are reserved for binding designs and the dust jacket, and a specific one on portraits of Bilbo. There are 106 pictures in total, many of them printed on a full page, and each and everyone is explained, details are pointed out and references to other pictures and Tolkien's sources are given. It is a wonderful guide because I surely would have missed many details or specific aspects of interest without that information. I am a bit ambivalent on Tolkien's pictures themselves - there are some I absolutely love (prints of a few of them adore my living room), but some I don't really care for because the style is not one I prefer. These are specifically the very stylized ones, probably because I first saw Alan Lee's and John Howe's pictures, and I'll always imagine Middle-earth like that. However, I am just utterly impressed by Tolkien's ability not only to be a writer, a professor of medieval literature and languages, AND a painter, too. Although he always sold himself short, I think the pictures show great talent. Like his writing, they are painstakingly done, full of details and often done several times over until Tolkien was content. Thus, there are sometimes nearly a dozen pictures of the same scene or place.
Moreover, you can learn a lot about the book industry and printing in the 1930s - it is amazing to read how Tolkien had to bargain for an additional color in a painting because that was so expensive. Most pictures were just black and white, others with one or two additional colors, and just the most important had more. Very often, his artistic ideas had to be put back due to costs.
I just loved this book and savored every page - and painting - of it. I think it is a great read for everyone who loves The Hobbit and wants to know more about its history, and for people interested in illustrations or bookish history in general. ( )
  MissBrangwen | Jan 25, 2021 |
In The Art of The Hobbit, editors Wayne G. Hammond and Christina Scull compile all of the artwork J.R.R. Tolkien created while writing the various drafts of The Hobbit prior to George Allen & Unwin’s interest in it and then as potential illustrations for the published product. Hammond and Scull arrange the illustrations in the order of their subject within The Hobbit followed by chronologically by subject so that readers may see how Tolkien altered each over time. Using both Tolkien’s notes, correspondence between he and his publisher, and later letters, Hammond and Scull discuss Tolkien’s inspirations – including historical architecture, his own trip to the Alps, and illustrated books with which he would be familiar – as well as the reason he altered illustrations over time, either due to his own frustration with getting the material just right or due to limitations in the reproduction process. This, like Hammond and Scull’s The Art of the Lord of the Rings, offers an invaluable look into the ideas that never made it into the final version of Tolkien’s legendarium and is a must-read for fans of Middle Earth. ( )
1 vote DarthDeverell | Jan 7, 2019 |

Hammond, Wayne G.primary authorall editionsconfirmed
Scull, Christinamain authorall editionsconfirmed
Tolkien, J. R. R.Illustratormain authorall editionsconfirmed
Valkonen, TeroTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Was inspired by

This book, with the help of maps, does not need any illustrations it is good and should appeal to all children between the ages of 5 and 9.
The book in question was The Hobbit, and the judgement was by Rayner Unwin, the ten-year-old son of Stanley Unwin, who was considering Tolkien's story for publication.
The authors of this book are Hammond and Scull, writing about Tolkien's illustrations. Tolkien is therefore not the primary author of this work.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 169,963,353 books! | Top bar: Always visible