The Three Body Problem by Catherine Shaw

The Three Body Problem

by Catherine Shaw

English (3)  Spanish (1)  All languages (4)
Sadly, telling the story through the device of letters written home results in a style that is just too artificial and far-fetched. The "letters" contain lots of history and explanation for the reader which does not help their authenticity. It should be noted that the background to this story is true, but the book can't really be recommended, as other reviewers have commented. ( )
  Stroudley | Apr 24, 2015 |
I did something I rarely do with this book - I gave up reading it halfway through. I don't know if it was the novel's format of letters written to a twin sister, the earnest discussion of mathematical theories, the rigid adherence to Victorian era standards of behaviour, the precision of the language or just me but I was bored and restless as I read and never able to immerse myself in Vanessa's world. ( )
  flusteredduck | Feb 20, 2014 |
When three mathematics professors are murdered, schoolteacher Vanessa Duncan sets out to solve the crime because she believes the person accused of the murders is innocent.

Although the mystery is enjoyable, this book is ultimately forgettable. None of the characters are overly well developed, and many act outside the norms of Victorian propriety often enough that the reader forgets the setting is intended to be Victorian-era Cambridge, England. The resolution is entirely implausible and does not convey any sense of urgency as Vanessa attempts to deliver a crucial piece of evidence to the court in time. ( )
  casvelyn | May 3, 2012 |
My dearest Sister - This morning, for the first time, I felt a breath of springtime in the air.

Cambridge, 1888. Miss Vanessa Duncan is a young schoolmistress recently arrived from the countryside. She loves teaching and finds the world of academia fascinating; everything is going so well. But everything changes when a Fellow of Mathematics, Mr. Akers, is found dead in his room from a violent blow to the head. Invited to dinner by the family of one of her charges, Vanessa meets many of the victim’s colleagues, including Mr. Arthur Weatherburn, who had dined with Mr. Akers the evening of his death and happens to be Vanessa’s upstairs neighbor. Discussing the murder, she learns of Sir Isaac Newton’s yet unsolved ‘n-body problem’, which Mr. Akers might have been trying to solve to win the prestigious prize. As the murder remains unsolved, Vanessa’s relationship with Arthur Weatherburn blossoms. Then another mathematician, Mr. Beddoes is murdered and Arthur is jailed. Convinced of his innocence and with a theory of her own, Vanessa decides to prove her case. But when a third mathematician dies, it becomes a race against time to solve the puzzle. . .

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:09:15 -0400)

When mathematics teacher Mr Akers is found dead, young schoolmistress Miss Vanessa Duncan is shattered. But when Vanessa's new love, Arthur Weatherburn, becomes a prime suspect, she sets about trying to prove her case. As the evidence begins to stack up, it becomes a race against time to prove her theory.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,157,655 books! | Top bar: Always visible