Harry Potter Page to Screen: The Complete…

Harry Potter Page to Screen: The Complete Filmmaking Journey (edition 2011)

by Bob McCabe

Here is a lavish and personal look at the entire film-making process that turned the world's bestselling fiction series into a blockbuster movie franchise. From the acquisition of the film rights to the casting and the assembly of the creative team, the book is a unique, behind-the-scenes look at the making of one of the most popular film series in cinema history.… (more)
Member:Moviedromy
Title:Harry Potter Page to Screen: The Complete Filmmaking Journey
Authors:Bob McCabe
Info:Titan Publishing Company (2011), Hardcover, 528 pages

Harry Potter: Page to Screen by Bob McCabe

This book is so detailed and interesting. If you're a huge Potter fan and are interested in seeing how the films were made then this book is a perfect fit! ( )
  spellbindingstories | May 24, 2018 |
A book that is as impressive as the films that it talks about. After seeing an end to a film series that is already a classic, this book brings all behind-the-scenes facts that will immerse you again in the Harry Potter world. From Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone to HP and the Deathy Hallows part2, you'll get amazing images of the characters, scenarios, objects and also have a glimpse of very talented concept art. A must have for anyone who can't get enough of Harry Potter's magic. ( )
  Glaucialm | Feb 18, 2016 |
Really, really cool behind-the-scenes information about the production of the Harry Potter movies. I learned so much about the Harry Potter universe, the actors, and the way movies are made. Like the fact that Mafalda Hopkirk was played by Sophie Thompson, the younger sister of Emma Thompson, and Bill Weasley was played by Brendan Gleeson's son Domhnall. And that the prop crew bought sixteen Ford Anglias from around the country to use in filming. That most of the amazing props and sets were really physically made, with animatronics to make them move—like the Whomping Willow, the doors to the Chamber of Secrets, Aragog, the basilisk's head and 25 feet of its body, etc. The wizard's chess scene was done entirely in real life—the only effects they added digitally were some extra dust and debris for the explosions. They built those giant pieces and actually blew them up on-set.

Hagrid and Madame Maxime were played half the time by very tall doubles wearing massive prosthetic heads. In the graveyard scene at the end of Goblet of Fire, when they were doing the shots that showed only Harry, Ralph Fiennes would stand near the cameras yelling insults at Daniel Radcliffe to help him keep up the emotion he needed for the scene. Evanna Lynch—the girl who played Luna Lovegood—was a Harry Potter fan before she auditioned for the movie, and when Jo Rowling found out she'd been cast, she remembered that Evanna had once written her a letter, and the two had corresponded. Matt Lewis (Neville) wore a fat suit, false teeth, and plastic behind his ears for all the movies except the last one. Emma Watson had a crush on Tom Felton in the earlier movies, and it was one of those embarrassing kid crushes where everyone on the whole set knew. For Goblet of Fire, director Mike Newell had James and Oliver Phelps practice fighting each other. They weren't getting it, so he had one of them volunteer to fight him, and they wrestled until Newell cracked a rib. The Knight Bus was an actual double-decker bus painted purple with a third layer welded on top of it.

The outfits that Ron, Hermione, and Harry wear in Prisoner of Azkaban are almost identical to the ones they wear in Deathly Hallows, because the costume designer wanted them to have recognizable looks throughout the series. Ron's always in oranges, reds, and greens, because those are the homemade Weasley colors; Hermione wears pinks and greys; and Harry wears blues and greys and muted colors because he's always been an outcast and is used to wanting to blend in. In Order of the Phoenix Umbridge's clothes get pinker and pinker as she becomes more and more sinister (and Imelda Staunton requested that her outfits be designed to emphasize her rear, so she could develop a distinctive walk, which I thought was funny). Voldemort started out wearing a very thin layer of silk, and as each movie goes on and his power becomes more and more solidified, they added layers on. And the scenes with Polyjuice Potion are so fun to think about—Emma Watson acted the scenes, and then Helena Bonham-Carter imitated her. Daniel Radcliffe had to do the same thing with all six of the actors who played Hermione, Ron, Fred, George, Fleur, and Mundungus in the scene with the seven Potters.

That's just the stuff I can remember off the top of my head right now. It's an enormous book, and you wouldn't think you'd actually sit down and read it—but it's definitely interesting enough to do so. ( )
  mirikayla | Feb 8, 2016 |
While I didn't read every word, I did flip every page. The layout, photos, sketches, story boards etc are beautiful.

Such a huge book! But when you're covering 8 films, 7 books, 50 main characters, all their costumes etc, I would expect no less.

I hope to own this book one day. ( )
  sharlenehsmith | Mar 9, 2015 |
Such a good commemorative keepsake. Very happy I splurged. Glossy pics and some great exclusive quotes. The book is so massive I almost broke my wrist holding it. You don't learn a ton but you can tell it's a work of love, perhaps meant to replace any kind of film commentary on the DVDs we're unlikely to get now :( It now sits happily with my Potter books. ( )
  RubyScarlett | Nov 11, 2013 |
I am very excited to be visiting this book blog. Here is a huge collection of books on Harry Potter and I can also see other latest book information. agen poker terpercaya
added by fenisia8915 | editFeni Fenisia (Feb 21, 2018)

Bob McCabeprimary authorall editionscalculated
Becker, StefanieÜbersetzersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rissanen, IrmaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Stahl, TimothyÜbersetzersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 150,665,907 books! | Top bar: Always visible