HomeGroupsTalkExplore

Wild: From Lost to Found on the Pacific Crest Trail (2012)

by Cheryl Strayed

A powerful, blazingly honest, inspiring memoir: the story of a 1,100 mile solo hike that broke down a young woman reeling from catastrophe--and built her back up again.
    A Walk in the Woods: Rediscovering America on the Appalachian Trail by Bill Bryson (ominogue)
    Into the Wild by Jon Krakauer (sturlington)
    The trail north : a solo journey on the Pacific Crest by Hawk Greenway (jpjr)
    Rough Magic: Riding the World's Loneliest Horse Race by Lara Prior-Palmer (terran)
    terran: Both women are unprepared for the grueling experience upon which they embark
    The Pacific Crest Trail by William R. Gray (jpjr)
    Almost Somewhere: Twenty-Eight Days on the John Muir Trail by Suzanne Roberts (Alphawoman)
    The Cactus Eaters: How I Lost My Mind - and Almost Found Myself - on the Pacific Crest Trail (P.S.) by Dan White (clif_hiker)
    Becoming Odyssa: Adventures on the Appalachian Trail by Jennifer Pharr Davis (booklove2)
    booklove2: A very memorable account of a young woman hiking the Appalachian Trail by herself! Inspiring!
    Eat, Sleep, Ride: How I Braved Bears, Badlands, and Big Breakfasts in My Quest to Cycle the Tour Divide by Paul Howard (sboyte)
    sboyte: Human-powered journeys through the mountains of North America.
    Eat, Pray, Love by Elizabeth Gilbert (Darcie2013)
    Darcie2013: Like Eat, Pray, Love, Wild is about a woman who has gone through life-changing events and has realized she no longer knows who she is. In both books, the author decides that through travel she may find herself.

English (483)  German (3)  Italian (2)  French (2)  Dutch (1)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  All languages (492)
I had seen the movie, but enjoyed the book even more. A journey of self-reflection on the Pacific Crest Trail. ( )
  mojomomma | Jan 15, 2023 |
The story was engaging, and she got herself into a lot of really dangerous scenarios that made for exciting storytelling. But the writing was awkward in many places...I listed to it as an audiobook, and often found myself thinking that had I been reading it, I may not have seen in through because of the quality of the writing. The audio narrator also had an older-sounding voice, which was really distracting given that the story was told from the perspective of a woman in her 20's, doing a lot of reckless things. If you've already read "A Walk in the Woods," Bill Bryson's memoir of his time on the Appalachian Trail, this is a good counterpoint to it. If you haven't, read that instead. ( )
  sanyamakadi | Jan 4, 2023 |
I liked this memoir a lot. Hiking the PCT just to do it is something I can imagine doing, although I would probably have prepared better. The author has a lot of pain and confusion after her mother's death, her family disintegrates, and her marriage dissolves. The physical challenge of the trail and the solitude are just what she needs to start healing, maybe. Entire days without seeing another human sounds wonderful to me at times. ( )
  Pferdina | Dec 31, 2022 |
"Wild" is a journey within a journey about a woman who seeks to find herself by hiking the Pacific Crest Trail. Reeling from grief over her mother's death, unable to forgive herself for her excessive indulgences that lead to her divorce, the loss of closeness from her family, unable to complete her undergraduate degree, and a chance encounter with a book called "The Pacific Crest Trail" lead her on journey to cover 1,100 miles of the PCT on a solo hike. She is underprepared for this hike but continuously pushes through to reach her goal, making most readers believe they, too, could take such a journey.

On my bucket list is to hike that other trail...the Appalachian Trail, so I could relate to this book in many ways. However, I will be old when I eventually hike the AT, wishing I had done it when I was Cheryl's age when she did the PCT. There were many things she did that I could easily see myself doing as well, especially being underprepared for what exactly is involved with such a huge undertaking. It also confirmed for me why I would love to do something like this...all the interesting people you meet along the way.

I also like that she did this on her own and highlights both the advantages and disadvantages of being a solo female hiker. The story is engaging and a quick read. Oh--and the sex is better in this book than in 50 Shades.

I'll end this with some of my favorite lines in the book:

"I think it's neat you do what you want. Not enough chicks do that, if you ask me--just tell society and their expectations to go fuck themselves. If more women did that, we'd be better off."

serendipitina | Dec 30, 2022 |

I'll end this with some of my favorite lines in the book:

serendipitina | Dec 30, 2022 |
It’s not very manly, the topic of weeping while reading. Yet for a book critic tears are an occupational hazard. Luckily, perhaps, books don’t make me cry very often — I’m a thrice-a-year man, at best. Turning pages, I’m practically Steve McQueen.

Cheryl Strayed’s new memoir, “Wild: From Lost to Found on the Pacific Crest Trail,” however, pretty much obliterated me. I was reduced, during her book’s final third, to puddle-eyed cretinism. I like to read in coffee shops, and I began to receive concerned glances from matronly women, the kind of looks that said, “Oh, honey.” It was a humiliation.

To mention all this does Ms. Strayed a bit of a disservice, because there’s nothing cloying about “Wild.” It’s uplifting, but not in the way of many memoirs, where the uplift makes you feel that you’re committing mental suicide. This book is as loose and sexy and dark as an early Lucinda Williams song. It’s got a punk spirit and makes an earthy and American sound.

A candid, inspiring narrative of the author’s brutal physical and psychological journey through a wilderness of despair to a renewed sense of self.
added by sturlington | editKirkus Reviews (Dec 19, 2011)

Cheryl Strayedprimary authorall editionscalculated
Dunne, BernadetteNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Guitton, AnneTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Lefkow, LaurelNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Belongs to Publisher Series

Has the adaptation

Première partie

The breaking of so great a thing
Should make a greater crack.
La chute d’un si grand homme
aurait dû faire plus de bruit.

William SHAKESPEARE
Antoine et Cléopâtre
For Brian Lindstrom

And for our children, Carver and Bobbi
(Prologue) The trees were tall, but I was taller, standing above them on a steep mountain slope in northern California.
My solo three-month hike on the Pacific Crest Trail had many beginnings.
The universe, I'd learned, was never, ever kidding. It would take whatever it wanted and it would never give it back.

Wikipedia: Wild is Cheryl Strayed's memoir of her 1,100-mile solo hike along the Pacific Crest Trail, beginning in the Mojave Desert and hiking through California and Oregon to the Bridge of the Gods into Washington. The book also contains flashbacks to prior life occurrences that led her to begin her journey.[1][2]

At age 22, Strayed had been devastated by the lung cancer death of her mother at 45. Her stepfather disengaged from Strayed's family, and her brother and sister remained distant. Strayed and her husband divorced, and eventually a lover convinced her to start using heroin.[1]

Seeking self-discovery and resolution of her enduring grief and personal challenges, at the age of 26, Strayed set out on her journey, alone and with no prior hiking experience. Wild intertwines the stories of Strayed's life before and during the journey, describing her physical challenges and spiritual realizations while on the trail.[1]

Cheryl Strayed is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 182,966,634 books! | Top bar: Always visible