Do What You Are: Discover the Perfect Career…

Do What You Are: Discover the Perfect Career for You Through the Secrets… (original 1992; edition 2014)

by Paul D. Tieger (Author), Barbara Barron-Tieger (Author)

Member:JenniferRobb
Title:Do What You Are: Discover the Perfect Career for You Through the Secrets of Personality Type
Authors:Paul D. Tieger (Author)
Other authors:Barbara Barron-Tieger (Author)
Info:Little, Brown and Company (2014), Edition: 5, 432 pages
Rating:***
Tags:tieger, personality types, personality, job, career

Do What You Are: Discover the Perfect Career for You Through the Secrets of Personality Type by Paul D. Tieger (1992)

Gifts Differing: Understanding Personality Type by Isabel Briggs Myers (Anonymous user)
    Anonymous user: Gifts Differing explains Myers-Briggs typology in a clear, accessible way, while Do What You Are shows an interesting application of that theory to career choice.

I liked this book, but I wish the authors had made it apparent that the 4 letter personality type and the 2 letter strengths should be recorded for referencing in later chapters. I was familiar with the personality types, but not with using the 2 letter part or with identifying the order of strengths and developing the third and fourth ones. By the time I realized I needed the 2 letter part, I was already confused and had to go back to figure out what letters I needed. I don't think I ever really grasped most of that information. ( )
  JenniferRobb | Jul 31, 2016 |
This book starts off by having you define yourself in three broad categories - extroverted/introverted, sensing/intuition, thinking/feeling, judging/perceiving - then it discusses the characteristcs of each combination of those traits and what jobs those types of people would be good at and enjoy.

People looking for potential careers would benefit from this, but there is also some interesting self reflection that can come as a result of defining oneself in their terms.
  OHIOCLDC | Jun 29, 2015 |
I mainly used this book as a reference. It just told me or I guess reinforced what I already knew in my about my life. I am in my mid twenties and I am in a job that I like but I dream for more.

Do What You Are helps you identify your personality type then shows a few more exercises to make sure you got it correct and then tells you what your ideal career choices would be. It then helps you to make a practical approach to the career of your choice.

Honestly, it's nice to have as an library book but I am so glad I didn't buy it. If you are aimless, this book will be perfect for you. However, if you know or have a clear picture of what you want to do then Do What You Are is nothing but a mirror. I have plenty of mirrors. ( )
1 vote Y2Ash | Apr 16, 2014 |

Y2Ash | Apr 16, 2014 |

Y2Ash | Apr 16, 2014 |
For Daniel Hayden and Kelly Elizabeth May you always be who you are and do what you love and dedicated to our parents.
Whenever you meet someone new, chances are one of the first questions you both ask is "What do you do?"

This guide analyzes personality type by looking at how an individual processes information, makes decisions and interacts with the world around them, and shows which of the 16 "types" describes that person best. It then lists dozens of occupations that are popular with people of each type and, using workbook exercises and real-life examples to highlight the strengths and pitfalls of each personality type, gives step-by-step instructions on how to use your unique strengths to customize your job search, ensuring the best results in the shortest period of time. If you plan to stay in your job, "Do What You Are" provides savvy advice for getting the most out of your current career. Rather than offering generic, one-size-fits-all advice, this book aims to help you determine what you need to be more successful and satisfied.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:06:09 -0400)

This book analyses personality type then lists dozens of occupations that are popular with people of each type. It then gives step-by-step instructions on how to use your unique strengths to customise your job search.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 133,399,863 books! | Top bar: Always visible